Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is what passes for christian children's educational material
This is what passes for christian children's educational material
My two year old is fascinated with dinosaurs, loves em. Talks your ear off about them. Those few things she knows are repeated to me endlessly (and, to the extent that she is two, I am thoroughly impressed by what she knows..which to her, is volumes). My father-in-law, like any opportunistic predator...pounces with a "gift".

"Children often have a big problem understanding how dinosaurs fit with Creation and the Bible. Yet the basic mystery about dinosaurs is easy to solve with the help of God's Word. This unusual book presents dinosaurs as a part of God's wonderful creation and uses them to introduce important Biblical concepts concerning Creation, the nature of God, Man's fall to sin, Noah's Flood, Christ's redemption, and God's plan for the restoration of paradise."
http://www.amazon.com/Great-Dinosaur-Mys...0781430712
(want a laugh, read the fucking reviews)

Do they often have a problem with it? You don't say? Maybe you "educated" adults should have taken that as a clue, a canary in the mines moment? The cover is complete with an Elephant and a Parasaurolophus, drinking from the same pond, at the same time......while a human watches over, fully clothed, standing next to a Gazelle/Ibex (not sure...I don't think they are either). I agree, the book is unusual, it does use dinosaurs. It is unusual that an adult would be so irresponsible in educating a child, and it does use a child's interests to smuggle bullshit into a legitimate source of wonder, ostrensibly, so that the child may be used later, for something else, like perpetuating this garbage. I don't think I was supposed to know about it, because I'd never seen it until today (when he brought them home from the park). Moser wouldn't leave his van without it, she threw a fit, and now I know. She's clearly had it read to her many, many times....... I can't even express how furious this shit makes me. I can't stop editing this fucking post.

(If anyone wondered, yes, my father-in-law professes a belief in the literal word to his wife, my wife(his daughter), now his grand-children, and all of his bridge playing friends. To me, he's all about the beautiful metaphors of genesis.)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
RE: This is what passes for christian children's educational material
Rhythm Wrote:(want a laugh, read the fucking reviews)

I didn't laugh, and I think I died a little inside.

But that's an aside: HOW THE HELL DO YOU HAVE 7.3K POSTS ALREADY?! Shock

* Violet might feel slightly insecure now. Tiger
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Bow before me, pathetic empress of an irrelevant galaxy, for I am your posting Lord.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Am I the only one terrified that there are more 5-star reviews than 1-star reviews?
What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD
I read the reviews but I didn't laugh.

That shit is too depressing to laugh at.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
It dismays me when adults who ought to know better try to indoctrinate children in this way, particularly other people's children. Some years ago a friend of mine who was rather more devout then than now tried this sort of shit on my nephew, then of single-digit age. He - the friend - started telling my nephew about demons and monsters etc, granted in a PG kind of Sunday school way but still trying to insist that it was all real. After he had left the room, my nephew asked me in a tremulous voice if what he'd been told was true and after I asked replied that he was frightened by it. I assured him it was all just stories, calmed him down then went off for a little polite 'chat' with my friend. One short sharp discussion later and said friend has never played the same trick again, not to me or any of my family. Curiously, we are still great friends because in every other aspect he's actually a decent bloke. Just used to get some funny ideas.

In other news: Yay, nine centuries of posting! Next stop - medal!
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Meh, I got my revenge. He had to sit through The Lorax tonight, he would have walked out (liberal propaganda). I put Moser right in his lap and left her there.

For anyone wondering, it's a terrible movie....completely butchered one of my favorite books.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL5yplRHE...re=related
Rhythm, if my father-in-law gave my kid a book about the biblical account of dinosaurs(whatever the fuck that is, the bible says nothing about dinosaurs), I would chew him a new asshole and set him in his place.

And as to the Lorax, were you expecting anything besides a complete slaughtering of the original material?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(March 3, 2012 at 9:00 pm)Aegrus Wrote: Am I the only one terrified that there are more 5-star reviews than 1-star reviews?
Must be one hell of a book.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ken Ham hurts children, watch Manowar 4 1169 October 23, 2017 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Athiest with children? Jesus Cristo 69 12916 October 12, 2017 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  material self-dismantle truth_seeker 10 2401 March 14, 2016 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  atheism and children Catholic_Lady 568 82712 September 6, 2015 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Talking to children about death rossrocks88 10 3809 July 22, 2015 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Will you raise your children as Atheists? Kloud 54 10597 December 20, 2014 at 4:40 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Explaining death to children. Intimae_Hasta 25 5979 July 10, 2014 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Ksa
  How will you explain to your children... dimaniac 61 19575 September 17, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Teaching Reason (to Children) Bad Writer 61 17091 July 16, 2013 at 12:52 am
Last Post: Fruity
  The atheists want your children (according to K. Ham) L.A.F. 29 12963 May 2, 2013 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: Cyberman