Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Have Men Escaped Slut-Shaming?
Why Have Men Escaped Slut-Shaming?
Is the way we shame women for being promiscuous (slut-shaming) while we praise men for being promiscuous (virgin-shaming) simply an attempt to control women? Or is it something else? FWIW, I have heard far, far more "slut shaming" from women towards other women than I have heard it from men (and I was in a FRATERNITY.)

Obviously, religion had its fair hand in discouraging extra-marital sex - but why didn't it enforce it against men very effectively?
RE: Why Have Men Escaped Slut-Shaming?
Because men wrote that shit.
I know this guy, btw everyone, so he's not some random stranger. Just so you don't think he's a shit and run.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Doesn't change my answer.
1 woman 5 men, 1 pregnancy. 1 man 5 women, 5 pregnancies. Long before we ever decided sex was bad, mmkay, there was a definite tilt towards promiscuity in males. With some notable exceptions we are the sexual aggressors (again, we're larger and we're bred to be aggressive). Then, after all of that was handled, we wrote some ridiculous bullshit. It's sort of a bad place to end up, bound on the one side by biology, the other by cultural convention.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 9, 2012 at 3:36 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: I know this guy, btw everyone, so he's not some random stranger. Just so you don't think he's a shit and run.

Righto, thanks for the warning. I'll give him a legitimate answer then Smile

Wildurr Wrote:Is the way we shame women for being promiscuous (slut-shaming) while we praise men for being promiscuous (virgin-shaming) simply an attempt to control women? Or is it something else? FWIW, I have heard far, far more "slut shaming" from women towards other women than I have heard it from men (and I was in a FRATERNITY.)

Obviously, religion had its fair hand in discouraging extra-marital sex - but why didn't it enforce it against men very effectively?

Firstly, welcome Smile

I don't shame anyone for having sex... but I don't remember if you remember the bad rap Clinton took for it? I don't know about the what the general population does... since I never hung out with them.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(March 9, 2012 at 3:41 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Doesn't change my answer.

Didn't expect it to.
I think Clinton got the bad wrap for his fling because he was married to another woman. I think single guys are encouraged to sleep around (and virgin-shamed if they haven't yet) while single women are labeled as bad "relationship" material if they have casual sex.

My opinion?

Before hormonal birth control and paternity tests, men only had to provide for the babies their wives had. Therfore, "smart men" would ideally marry a woman who either has a low sex drive in general or who is extremely picky in who she has sex with so the husband wouldn't end up a cuckold and raising children that didn't share his genes.

At the same time, men who slept with women they weren't married to effectively could avoid the burdens of providing for a child - leaving the women to care for the child by themself - which was practically impossible to do without the ability to work.

Therefore, it was in women's best social interest to remain chaste and put all of her sexual energy towards her husband - the one who would be providing for the care of her children. That is why we still have men who prefer "non-slut" wives and why women often label other women they don't like as a "slut" - it's a carry-over from an age where that reputation would make men hesitate to marry her - therefore dooming her to a life of loneliness (or prostitution).
Actually, men are slut shamed. They just don't know it because women are less likely to come right out and say rude things to random men, while a man can be found yelling slut at a stranger in just about any city on any given night. Believe me, women sit around talking shit about slutty guys often enough. It's not as if a man escapes the stigma. He just escapes the notoriety.
We were having this discussion over e-mail - guys are, at least nowadays, black labeled if they're "players".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The prevalence of HIV among gay men darnwelling 30 1882 January 11, 2023 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: darnwelling
  A question for the straight men Catholic_Lady 87 12681 January 11, 2023 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Little green men just got real. ignoramus 87 7101 July 7, 2021 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  The army is one of the best examples of gender inequality towards MEN Macoleco 64 5298 February 18, 2021 at 8:04 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Real Men onlinebiker 111 5420 January 28, 2020 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Men who don't flush public toilets Alexmahone 32 3043 April 25, 2018 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  men and women with tattoos, hot or not? orthodox-man 110 20968 April 24, 2018 at 8:12 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Question for the heterosexual men of AF Catholic_Lady 242 26593 April 18, 2018 at 11:40 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Men: How do You Define Yourself? Rhondazvous 33 2415 April 3, 2018 at 5:51 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Men's Rights Movement Catholic_Lady 538 66194 January 1, 2018 at 11:54 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet