Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Immense Power of Christianity
The Immense Power of Christianity
As shared in my introduction, I suffer from Christianity-based religious psychosis on a number of levels. Therefore, I am obsessed with Christianity.

I have just been thinking about the astronomical power of the Vatican and the Roman Catholic Church. Not only do they potentially have £ Trillions of assets, they have an entire global institution of pure mind control. In England, UK, we are technically a still an Anglican (Church of England) theocracy, albeit relatively mild in comparison to some Islamic theocracies.

Many important aspects of our lives are utterly dominated by Christianity, such as the following:

• Gregorian / Western Calendar
• Christmas
• Easter Holidays
• Typical Weddings
• Typical Funerals
• Egocentric and self-righteous (borderline narcissistic) attitudes.

I feel that the overwhelming vast majority of the general UK population are only half conscious; they never seem to engage in any form of critical thinking. Therefore, the fundamental absurdities of Christianity — including the ridiculous concept of Original Sin — are rarely questioned. Most people just seem to cherry pick passages from the Bible and ignore the horrifying passages.

Thank "God" for Richard Dawkins I say.
RE: The Immense Power of Christianity
You make it sound like the UK is overrun by theists - it isn't.
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

(March 11, 2012 at 3:42 pm)Norfolk And Chance Wrote: You make it sound like the UK is overrun by theists - it isn't.

Government is.
Is it? Can't say I noticed really.
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

(March 11, 2012 at 3:42 pm)Norfolk And Chance Wrote: You make it sound like the UK is overrun by theists - it isn't.

I agree that the majority of the UK population are obviously not fundamental Christian creationists; however, I have a hypothesis that the large majority of individuals in UK are "soft" Christians who, if you asked them directly, would admit that they believe in a "higher power." My hyposthesis is backed up by hard evidence from the UK Census survey (72% Christian - England/Wales) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12507319
A lot of them mindlessly identify themselves as Christian because they were christened, so they answer the question...that's my hypothesis.

I refuse to believe that 71% of the population (not including other religions) believe in god.
(March 11, 2012 at 3:51 pm)Logic Wrote:

I agree that the majority of the UK population are obviously not fundamental Christian creationists; however, I have a hypothesis that the large majority of individuals in UK are "soft" Christians who, if you asked them directly, would admit that they believe in a "higher power." My hyposthesis is backed up by hard evidence from the UK Census survey (71% Christian.) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12507319

Well first of all the article you linked claims 72% in England and 65% in Scotland in the 2001 census, which is 11 years ago.

The same article you linked to also says "They prefer to use the British Social Attitudes survey, carried out annually by the National Centre for Social Research, which paints a picture of a less-religious country, with 51% describing themselves as non-religious and 43% as Christian."

Concentrating on the UK Census (which is compulsory and vast, unlike the British Social Attitudes Survey), ten years is not a long time in the grand scheme of things; I suspect that the figures will prove to be not a great deal different when the 2011 results are published.
We'll see.

There was a big campaign before the 2011 survey asking people to tick no religion if they weren't religious, rather than christian/muslim by habit, AND ten years IS a long time and attitudes can change plenty in that time, especially with the explosion of the internet.

Also, what is a "spiritual" atheist? Please define.

(March 11, 2012 at 4:10 pm)Norfolk And Chance Wrote: We'll see.

Also, what is a "spiritual" atheist? Please define.

I describe myself as a "spiritual atheist" in the sense that I revere, and feel a sense of awe for, nature and, indeed, the universe as a whole. I suppose I could be considered a "naturalistic pantheist," however, I just don't see the point in labelling it to be honest because I do not really see it as a religion; I simply have an immense appreciation for nature.
I am also awed at nature and the universe but I wouldn't define it as "spiritual", just..."awe".

You are confusing me when you also describe yourself as a pantheist? Please define pantheism.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The power of Christ... zwanzig 60 4035 August 30, 2023 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6800 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
Heart The power of prayer JBrentonK 87 14845 October 16, 2015 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  The Paradox of Power.... ronedee 607 105319 October 6, 2015 at 12:17 am
Last Post: ronedee
  Former atheist declares healing power of god Foxaèr 9 2957 March 16, 2015 at 1:29 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8497 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18329 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  The Power of Belief Raven 17 6106 May 22, 2013 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: Raven