Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 7:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The power of prayer
Heart 
The power of prayer
I have once heard that it was said by God himself and his prophets that prayer is the most powerful example of the religious sense. (or one of the most powerful)

Well, it's true.

The most powerful tool is probably one suggested by the bible already, but one more powerful is a persons natural walk through nature by him/herself. Because he finds in it all of the tools needed to conduct life successfully. But in fear, one finds all of the tools needed to conduct this walk. You tremble when you are afraid of something, you gasp at the necessity of gasping. In trembling (kind of like the book fear and trembling, but not really), you find all of the needed preparation towards taking that next needed step. The goals that you will arrive upon when you reach that next level become clearer to you, you find preservation in needing to know something, your grasp of things becomes clearer.

Prayer is a rational act conducted by us human beings that in no way aligns us with the animals of animal life. Prayer represents all of "Fear and Trembling", but in the most sincere way possible. For to pray, is to know that one prays.

For the christian, this "most treasured dish of God's", we are presented with the finest example there is of human rationality.

Here's to betting that atheists don't pray. Albeit, all of the third paragraph of this OP presents prayer in the light of the super-rational, even the super-supra-rational. I would like to see this become a thread for us christians (and us atheists...) to praise God for this miraculous "gift." We should be rewarded in the light of this final paragraph that, at least we, know the supra-rational.
RE: The power of prayer
Nothing Fails Like Prayer!

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/12082681/ns/he...sual-test/
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

1. You don't get what atheists are, do you?
2. How does that word salad taste?
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
The power of confirmation bias.
(October 15, 2015 at 4:05 pm)JBrentonK Wrote: I have once heard that it was said by God himself and his prophets that prayer is the most powerful example of the religious sense. [...]
(balding mine)

You misheard. The word is - nonsense.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
OP stop being stupid

There has been scientific studies about prayer and all of them failed prayer does nothing.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
A quite lenghty OP, but only one word comes to mind: Idiot.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(October 15, 2015 at 4:05 pm)JBrentonK Wrote: Here's to betting that atheists don't pray.

What a relief! I was starting to think I would never find a fucking gambling genius to take with me to Vegas. Our flight leaves tomorrow, Rain Man.
[Image: 831.gif]

Prayer is only as powerful as wishul thinking can be.
If everything that happens if god's will, why pray to try to change his mind?
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The power of Christ... zwanzig 60 3972 August 30, 2023 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Please help prayer to get maaried soon for my mom heath.! meboxem166 21 2743 April 1, 2023 at 5:52 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The Catholic Church has a prayer app zebo-the-fat 5 633 January 21, 2019 at 11:00 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Intercessory prayer is pointless RobbyPants 93 9980 October 27, 2018 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Group prayer on Skype on behalf of our Christian members I_am_not_mafia 132 16087 May 26, 2018 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  God limits himself to working through prayer phoenix31 14 3544 January 28, 2017 at 1:26 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The problem with prayer. Gawdzilla 286 25321 August 31, 2016 at 2:38 am
Last Post: Incognito
  The Paradox of Power.... ronedee 607 104449 October 6, 2015 at 12:17 am
Last Post: ronedee
  Stupid, selfish prayer requests Aroura 13 4302 May 31, 2015 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb
  Fallacies in an "Answered Prayer" explanation? Clueless Morgan 33 7447 April 26, 2015 at 1:48 am
Last Post: robvalue