Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wackiest Notions and Theories which have occurred to you
Wackiest Notions and Theories which have occurred to you
I've been randomly contemplating the ideas that have bounced into my brain over the years and figure I can't be the only one.

So I'm going to embarrass myself with my lack of scientific knowledge with a couple of my more bizarre notions, that, truth be told, I slightly believe a bit despite clear evidence to the contrary.

Theory 1 - Regress of Microscopic Universes

I was a teenager when this occurred to me and I never shook the idea off fully.. so debunk away.
I suspected that if you were capable of almost extreme, close to infinite magnification, you would find the universe is composed at the smallest level of....... more universes, expanding as ours is, with similar scale and sometimes popping in and out of existence.
Our notion of time and space was a total delusion and we would come to the inevitable conclusion that we are probably a minature universe ourselves to someone else, to perhaps infinite regress.

Theory 2 - Gods Split Condom

In my moments of agnosticism, I suspected that if God existed, he was not abrahamic or similar, but more deistic in that he is nearly omnipotent but not omniscient or omnipresent. More like a force of nature playing with stuff and not worrying about the effects.
"God" set the universe in motion as he played with the fundamental structure that contains him, but paid no mind to how it turned out, or the intelligence it may spawns, creating a multiverse as a child plays with sandcastles and discarding them.

-------

Now I've embarassed myself, please console me with your craziest notions.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
RE: Wackiest Notions and Theories which have occurred to you
* Violet doesn't know where to begin, so don't be embarrassed Smile

Used to be whatever I got fed by a certain person I trusted completely. And his father was a conspiracy theorist, whom he often half-believed. I'm still left with such theories limping on in partial forms in my head, but I'm crazy enough without talking about them in detail Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I overheard someone arguing that the experiences of Déjà vu we have are evidence of the Big Bounce. That feeling that you've been here or done this before is the 'echo' of your previous self existing in the previous universe that collapsed and formed this current one.

I personally think pandeism is the weirdest notion I've come across to date though.
ELECTRICITY IS SOUL - I used to think that electricity was proof of a soul. Our brains dont work without electricity. Therefore souls are electricity.

I dont think that crap anymore.
For a brief period of time I was a semi-holocaust denier... Undecided That's about the most embarrassing / stupid thing I've ever thought plausible. Clearly I didn't have very good critical thinking skills at that time. Later I began using my brain.

"Theory 1 - Regress of Microscopic Universes" - I've thought similar things before. Actually, I thought of something a few days back when I was wondering what the smallest 'bit' of matter was. I had this zany idea that the smallest 'bit' of whatever is also the largest 'bit', in a sort of cyclic fashion. So, looking at the smallest piece of matter is also like looking at the largest bit. Sort of analogous to looking in a mirror when there's another mirror behind you or... a shepard tone. Maybe an Escher drawing is more fitting.

The idea is so damn incoherent I can't even explain it.
That all MRE's are in fact processed tuna products, or catfood. I used to argue for this incessently, no one could tell me otherwise (still can't, btw). Needless to say, the nickname "Big Tuna" stuck (which I always thought was ironic, considering the size of a tuna to begin with..or maybe they were just making ironic dick jokes).
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
There is one I came up with about the nature of time, but it sounds so straitjacketingly silly when I put it into words.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I used to believe in fate as an impersonal force guiding us through life to a predetermined destination that we are all bound by.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
OK, time for my silly thoughts. When I was a kid I speculated about all the stars in our universe being a giant firework for some immensely huge people. Or, what if the fireworks we shoot off on the 4th of July becoming tiny universes, with the colorful bits being tiny stars with tiny planets orbiting them?

Or taking that to a molecular level, what if our solar system was an atom, part of some giant molecule, with our galaxy and the rest of the universe making up some giant "something" of a much larger universe?

What if what I know as the color blue was actually what someone else saw as the color red?

Funny thing is that I never, ever did any recreational drugs and still came up with this crap.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(March 15, 2012 at 4:22 pm)Tempus Wrote: "Theory 1 - Regress of Microscopic Universes" - I've thought similar things before. Actually, I thought of something a few days back when I was wondering what the smallest 'bit' of matter was. I had this zany idea that the smallest 'bit' of whatever is also the largest 'bit', in a sort of cyclic fashion. So, looking at the smallest piece of matter is also like looking at the largest bit. Sort of analogous to looking in a mirror when there's another mirror behind you or... a shepard tone. Maybe an Escher drawing is more fitting.

The idea is so damn incoherent I can't even explain it.

You actually did a much better job than I did. Knowing what I know about what we see about this level I've more or less dismissed it, but it keeps nagging away at me. For instance, while we see things popping in and out of existence.. does that mean at that level, its instantaneous, we already know anecdotally that small creatures observe time slower (at least apparantly), so maybe that instant is billions of years inside... god knows, I'm incoherent too, and I recognise how silly the idea may be.
Just fail to shake it.

(March 15, 2012 at 4:26 pm)Stimbo Wrote: There is one I came up with about the nature of time, but it sounds so straitjacketingly silly when I put it into words.

Oh, and regress of universes at the "ultimate" macro or micro level isn't?

(March 15, 2012 at 4:43 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: Or taking that to a molecular level, what if our solar system was an atom, part of some giant molecule, with our galaxy and the rest of the universe making up some giant "something" of a much larger universe?

This is far more common than I realised. I'm feeling better already.

(March 15, 2012 at 4:43 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: What if what I know as the color blue was actually what someone else saw as the color red?

Its pretty valid as a philosophical exercise that one.. pesky science keeps trying to ruin the fun thou Sad
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to make conspiracy theories Fake Messiah 20 2867 November 11, 2019 at 7:40 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Conspiracy theories against the Jews. CapnAwesome 20 8226 September 22, 2015 at 12:23 am
Last Post: geckomamasita
  Conspiracy theories? ignoramus 41 11222 June 24, 2015 at 7:36 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  conspiracy theories DramaQueen 24 6166 September 7, 2014 at 12:21 am
Last Post: DangerousElf
  The scariest conspiracy, is the conspiracy of conspiracy theories. JohnDG 35 15085 July 1, 2012 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: JohnDG
  Present your NUTTIEST Internet Conspiracy Theories TheDarkestOfAngels 8 3703 January 3, 2012 at 12:33 am
Last Post: Cyberman