Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 8:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on Alain de Botton
Thoughts on Alain de Botton
Like the title says, what are your thoughts on him, but more particularly, his thoughts on taking the best parts of religion and using them in an atheist context? I love reading Pharyngula and PZ Myers seems to hate him, apparently he is self-promoting and too friendly towards religion. I don't know much about him, but I just listened to his TED talk "Atheism 2.0" today and while some parts of it really grated on me (sermon better than lecture, admiration of religious institutions, etc.), some parts of it made sense.

Particularly, he made the point that there are gaps in secular life, because atheism hasn't yet found a way to fill the holes left by religion (ritual, community, shared goals, architectural awe, etc in one nice package.) This leaves atheists who desire the emotional components of religion w/o the dogma in a dilemma. Either they join a religion, get the emotional satisfaction they desire, but compromise their beliefs and accept the dogma; or they maintain intellectual integrity, forgo religion and lack the beneficial components of religion.

So, if you've heard of him and his perspectives, what are your thoughts? Apparently he inspires some strong opinions, so looking forward to some constructive talk, since this is an issue I'm currently wrestling with.

RE: Thoughts on Alain de Botton
I don't quite share Myers dislike for him, but his "temple of atheism" idea was ridiculous.

Who on earth would go to a temple to celebrate NOT believing in God. It made no sense. Nor do I share his sense of having holes, instead I have more time to pursue my own interests.

Alain de Botton's version of Atheism turns it into a religious belief, and simultaneously takes away the greatest strength it has. It is not religion. Making it more "religious" with atheist ceremonies (wtf seriously). However, I never did watch his TED talk, so I am mostly talking about his recent comments and actions that make me very iffy about him.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
RE: Thoughts on Alain de Botton
I remember his TED talk. I understand his point I don't entirely agree with it. I have been looking for a few replacements myself. I'll list a few ideas:

1) Shared goals: VOLUNTEER! There are lots of organizations where you can have and act out these shared goals. You can really have a nice mini community. In some organizations the children can participate.
2) Ritual: Ritual happens in places other than a church, temple, Bethel, tabernacle etc. I've noticed football fans joining in group cheers, doing the wave, dressing up and having a grand ole time.
3) Architectural awe. Go to a museum.
4) Community: can be a bit more difficult but it can be done. I'm looking into hobby groups that can be fun for the whole family. I am part of a local hiking group. The whole family joins in on that. There are other groups as well. Meet up groups work also.
5) Wonder: Contemplate the universe from a scientific perspective.

These are just a few ideas. Most of these things have to do with extroverted things. What atheism seems to lack is the inner life (perhaps it doesn't, I just haven't discovered this yet). Inner contemplation, meditation, a sense of awe, and a humble respect for things greater than you seem to be too steeped in religion. I think these things are important for the non religious as well. Listing to oneself is a way to check if your outward behavior is in line with your inner feelings and beliefs. Meditation is a great way to relax. A sense of awe is humbling. It teaches respect and puts people in a position to listen.

Anyway that's just my two cents worth.
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your thoughts on John Gray? Foxaèr 12 3183 May 14, 2018 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What are your thoughts on Richard Dawkins? NuclearEnergy 96 12992 December 6, 2017 at 3:06 am
Last Post: Bow Before Zeus
  Atheists, what are your thoughts on us Agnostics? NuclearEnergy 116 27045 November 30, 2017 at 12:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Thoughts On Atheism and Faith ray3400 107 12669 October 12, 2016 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Thoughts Torin 2 1019 August 18, 2016 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  My thoughts on deepak chopra dyresand 4 1529 October 24, 2015 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
  Your thoughts on Satanism and the petition for a Satanic statue. Catholic_Lady 373 56292 September 24, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Deepthunk
  Thoughts on origins Kingpin 54 8487 August 12, 2015 at 8:23 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  thoughts on morality Kingpin 16 5983 July 29, 2015 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Thoughts on this apologetic Hungry Hungry Hippo 35 9388 July 20, 2015 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: Cato