Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting discussion in my local rag
Interesting discussion in my local rag
http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk...ssion.html

Anyone care to create an account and contribute? Angel Cloud
RE: Interesting discussion in my local rag
Not particularly.
Cunt
I think R.E is useful the way that it was taught to me in school. It is just an outline of the major religions really. Discussion was open and the teacher (who was christian) didn't add any bias. In a world where a lot of people are religious its useful to know what they believe.
I kind of enjoyed RE...

The RE department were the ones who encouraged me to take philosophy as a Higher in 6th year. A cool bunch of people.
Cunt
(March 21, 2012 at 9:20 am)frankiej Wrote: I kind of enjoyed RE...

The RE department were the ones who encouraged me to take philosophy as a Higher in 6th year. A cool bunch of people.

Was my favorite subject. Well.. After science Big Grin

Continued it into GCSE and A-level.
They should ditch RE and simply teach Philosophy. Religion can still be considered, but there should be more emphasis on teaching children how to filter bullshit through spotting convincing sounding fallacies.

Teach the philosophies of the religion, and how to think for yourself, and let the religions stand on their own merits.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
Well, up here it is Religious and Moral Education, so there is more than just religion that is taught.
Cunt
(March 21, 2012 at 9:36 am)NoMoreFaith Wrote: They should ditch RE and simply teach Philosophy. Religion can still be considered, but there should be more emphasis on teaching children how to filter bullshit through spotting convincing sounding fallacies.

Teach the philosophies of the religion, and how to think for yourself, and let the religions stand on their own merits.

I disagree. As long as r.e is taught objectively with no bias it should be taught. regardless of if we like it or not there are a whole lot of people with different beliefs we all encounter and by not teaching people that you are causing problems for them later when they have no idea why there are women in burkas wondering about.

Philosophy doesn't equip children to understand the differences of the people.
(March 21, 2012 at 9:42 am)Insanity x Wrote: I disagree. As long as r.e is taught objectively with no bias it should be taught. regardless of if we like it or not there are a whole lot of people with different beliefs we all encounter and by not teaching people that you are causing problems for them later when they have no idea why there are women in burkas wondering about.

Philosophy doesn't equip children to understand the differences of the people.

Extremely good point. My point is that teaching religion from a philosophical point of view is a more unbiased way of approaching the subject.

Kudos. Smile
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
(March 21, 2012 at 9:13 am)Intimae_Hasta Wrote: Anyone care to create an account and contribute?

No, looks the vast majority agree that they should get rid of it. Also, being an American, it's unconstitutional for public schools to have religious education (or at least as long as Santorum isn't president), so to me it's a moot point.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The fascinating asymmetry of theist-atheist discussion Astreja 5 456 July 22, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2849 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Old threads of discussion I have had. Mystic 125 16624 April 3, 2018 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Mock dialogue of the Theist/Atheist discussion here. Mystic 99 23917 January 11, 2016 at 1:14 am
Last Post: robvalue
  A interesting comic dyresand 1 1134 October 9, 2015 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Tentatively Christian; looking for a reasonable discussion GriffinHunter 216 31027 March 26, 2015 at 6:03 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Two babies discussion. Mystic 213 30689 February 24, 2015 at 8:34 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
Question Is anyone involved in a local atheist group? Mudhammam 21 2726 June 21, 2014 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Help! Discussion with Christian dad jluebs 13 2593 April 26, 2014 at 6:23 pm
Last Post: Aisha
  Response to Local Readers' Forum Comments EscapingDelusion 15 5780 August 31, 2012 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: EscapingDelusion