Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Messier 9
Messier 9
[Image: 633335main_image_2204_946-710.jpg]

Quote:The Hubble Space Telescope has produced the most detailed image so far of Messier 9, a globular star cluster located close to the center of the galaxy. This ball of stars is too faint to see with the naked eye, yet Hubble can see over 250,000 individual stars shining in it.

Messier 9, pictured here, is a globular cluster, a roughly spherical swarm of stars that lies around 25,000 light-years from Earth, near the center of the Milky Way, so close that the gravitational forces from the galactic center pull it slightly out of shape.

Globular clusters are thought to harbor some of the oldest stars in our galaxy, born when the universe was just a small fraction of its current age. As well as being far older than the sun -- around twice its age -- the stars of Messier 9 also have a markedly different composition, and are enriched with far fewer heavier elements than the sun.

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegall..._2204.html
Hearing that we are "star stuff" always seems to mean a bit more whenever NASA posts a picture like this.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Messier 9
Is it wrong that this picture arouses me a little bit?
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
Cool red dwarf stars that can live up to a trillion years, that's 1000000000000 years, make me very excited!! Think of what evolution could do in that time?
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Messier was #11.

[Image: mark-messier.jpg]
To think that when Charles Messier compiled his catalogue, he intended it as a list of comet-looking objects to avoid.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(March 23, 2012 at 11:28 am)NoMoreFaith Wrote: Is it wrong that this picture arouses me a little bit?

No it isn't. I'm having the same reaction.
Religion is not the answer-it is the problem. Everything considered, we would be better off without it.~Baubles of Blasphemy~Edwin F. Kagin

"Much better to have the ability to think critically, than the ability to quote scripture. One says you have a functioning mind. The other says you're a parrot." -- The Secular Buddhist
my new wallpaper!

Quote:the stars of Messier 9 also have a markedly different composition, and are enriched with far fewer heavier elements than the sun.

It's also worth noting that stars of low metallicity such as these are one of many compelling lines of evidence of the age of the universe.
That's just a picture made by scientists to keep themselves in business [/idiot]
[Image: 633335main_image_2204_946-710.jpg]

I once saw this when I got punched in the face.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Messier 45, in Taurus orogenicman 7 1326 March 31, 2015 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  Messier 20, the Trifid Nebula orogenicman 4 1285 February 15, 2015 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Messier 33, The Triangulum Galaxy orogenicman 0 716 April 26, 2014 at 11:08 pm
  Messier 33, in Triangulum orogenicman 8 2727 September 25, 2013 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Messier 20, The Trifid Nebula, In Sagittarius orogenicman 6 2671 June 7, 2013 at 1:06 pm
Last Post: Baalzebutt
  Messier 3, Globular Cluster in Canes Venatici orogenicman 12 3608 April 17, 2013 at 1:14 am
  Messier 13, Globular Cluster in Hercules orogenicman 0 1279 April 14, 2013 at 2:11 am
  Remix of Messier 8 Core, The Lagoon Nebula orogenicman 2 1433 March 13, 2013 at 11:01 am
  Messier 33, The Pinwheel Galaxy, in Triangulum orogenicman 2 1860 December 9, 2012 at 11:44 am
  Messier 8, The Lagoon Nebula orogenicman 3 2312 December 7, 2012 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Annik