Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do You Think The Christian Dark Ages Could Have Been Avoided?
Do You Think The Christian Dark Ages Could Have Been Avoided?
Historians generally say that the actions of individuals and individual events are mostly irrelevant in the long term and history tends to converge towards the same point regardless.

Christianity was undoubtedly the most violent and intolerant religion to come out of the classical Greco Roman world, and thus as soon as it gained power its adherents persecuted non Christians to an extent no other religion would have done.

If Constantine didn't convert to Christianity could things have turned out completely differently?
Or could there have been a counter revolution to Christianity at some point in the 4th century which would prevent the abominable religion from taking over everything.
RE: Do You Think The Christian Dark Ages Could Have Been Avoided?
Who cares?? postulation ....the factor remains that Constantine DID reek 'holy havoc' on Europe via xtianity. So I doubt it could have gone any other way.... "The Old Religion had to die" just like the abrahamic religions now "have to die"
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
RE: Do You Think The Christian Dark Ages Could Have Been Avoided?
Well, the Dark Ages get a bad rap that is undeserved in many ways. There was an explosion of agricultural tech and method. I have to say though, that the whole period had more to do with the power/knowledge vacuum left in the wake of the fall of the Roman Empire. I don't think that the Roman Empire could have stumbled along ad infinitum. They compartmentalized the knowledge they did have (which directly contributed to or perhaps even led to its loss in the absence of their social structure). Their system of governance wasn't sophisticated enough to effectively rule the territory they had claimed. They had found the limits of their military machine (and others had been adopting their weapons and tactics, with an aim to gain power for themselves). Environmental pressures where making life difficult all across The Med and Europe. Christianity was just one of the problems that they had, they were circling the drain without it.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Could God be impotent? Fake Messiah 7 1094 February 25, 2023 at 10:18 am
Last Post: brewer
  [Serious] Could an omnipotent and omniscient god prove that he was God? Jehanne 136 8968 January 26, 2023 at 11:33 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  You think Buddhism is pro intellectualism? Woah0 5 651 September 6, 2022 at 11:09 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  I am stunned religion hasn't been abolished yet Agnostic1 50 3271 December 30, 2021 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  I've Been MIRACLED!!! brokefree 1 773 June 9, 2021 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
Exclamation Why Atheism is Incoherent & You Aren't as Smart as You Think You Are Seax 60 4924 March 19, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  What do you believe in that hasnt been proven to exist? goombah111 197 24033 March 5, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Reason Jesus must have been a real person mrj 74 10176 March 5, 2021 at 6:44 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Do you think Scientology sells anyone on its belief? Sweden83 19 1776 December 25, 2020 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  To all religions/What makes you think...... Brian37 22 2790 February 26, 2019 at 8:46 am
Last Post: no one