Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moral Law
Moral Law
I'm a veteran trained to a code of conduct that forbids the murder of Enemy Prisoners of War.  Yet God commanded Saul to do just that in 1 Samuel chapter 15.  

Since the law against murder can be set aside by a whim of the almighty it must be a ceremonial law rather than a moral law. 

For believers to maintain it is a moral law, they must assert that morality itself is based on the whim of a particular being, and is not objective.
RE: Moral Law
Religious logic allows for such hypocrisy.
The usual response to the Euthyphro dilemma is for the xtian apologist to argue that God's nature is necessary (thus not arbitrary) and His commands flow from that nature (which is morally perfect). This nature establishes the moral realism layer of reality and is thus objective for all created beings.
Rename "prisoners of war" to "hostages", then remember my saying of, "hostages are expendable".

Problem solved.
Dying to live, living to die.
(November 4, 2023 at 8:05 pm)LinuxGal Wrote: I'm a veteran trained to a code of conduct that forbids the murder of Enemy Prisoners of War.  Yet God commanded Saul to do just that in 1 Samuel chapter 15.  

Since the law against murder can be set aside by a whim of the almighty it must be a ceremonial law rather than a moral law. 

For believers to maintain it is a moral law, they must assert that morality itself is based on the whim of a particular being, and is not objective.

The law against murder wasn't set aside, because Mosaic law forbids only the shedding of innocent blood. And, since the Torah makes mention - multiple times - that sins can sometimes apply to entire groups instead of individuals, all of the Amalekites were guilty.

And the only POW killed by the Israelites was Agag, all of the others appear to have died in the battle. And Agag wasn't 'murdered'. He was executed for war crimes. It's all very consistent and horrific.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 8, 2023 at 4:30 am)FrustratedFool Wrote: The usual response to the Euthyphro dilemma is for the xtian apologist to argue that God's nature is necessary (thus not arbitrary) and His commands flow from that nature (which is morally perfect). This nature establishes the moral realism layer of reality and is thus objective for all created beings.
Unfortunatley its an unfounded assertion each time the apologist pulls this out of his southern end. There is no reason God has to be "good" in any way.
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
(November 8, 2023 at 6:50 am)Deesse23 Wrote:
(November 8, 2023 at 4:30 am)FrustratedFool Wrote: The usual response to the Euthyphro dilemma is for the xtian apologist to argue that God's nature is necessary (thus not arbitrary) and His commands flow from that nature (which is morally perfect).  This nature establishes the moral realism layer of reality and is thus objective for all created beings.
Unfortunatley its an unfounded assertion each time the apologist pulls this out of his southern end. There is no reason God has to be "good" in any way.

I guess that depends upon whether you believe necessities make sense.
I don't know, but I tend towards thinking that they don't and that if God existed He would be a brute fact.  Thus His nature would be too.
Gods nature and gods commands cannot be used as a premise for moral realism or objectivity. That moral idea is explicitly subjective, and the use of the term "objective" by people who adhere to it means something more like "the right one" rather than it's metaethical meaning.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  didnt want to necropost: what completing the law means. Drich 18 1304 May 12, 2020 at 10:51 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  In UK atheists considred more moral than theists. downbeatplumb 254 29266 September 20, 2018 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Cardinal Bernard Law dead at 86 KevinM1 14 1916 December 21, 2017 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Christians are the greatest sinners according to their god's law rado84 25 3835 August 3, 2016 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Serious moral question for theist. dyresand 30 7368 September 1, 2015 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Why is Faith/Belief a Moral Issue? Rhondazvous 120 25394 August 21, 2015 at 11:14 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Recap - A moral question for theists dyresand 39 7320 July 15, 2015 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  A moral and ethical question for theists dyresand 131 17586 July 15, 2015 at 7:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Is There a Point To Living a Moral Life? ronedee 323 124375 July 14, 2015 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  How can a book that tells you how to treat slaves possibly be valid moral guide là bạn điên 43 12016 July 11, 2015 at 11:40 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain