Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Treating depression with electrodes in the brain
Treating depression with electrodes in the brain
Being a subject that is very personal to me, I found this quite interesting. The stuff we can do boggles my mind.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/14/health/bat...index.html
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
RE: Treating depression with electrodes in the brain
It is interesting. Being mindful, I too have depression via fibromyalgia; it's an interesting subject close to me.

This looks far better than 'shock' therapy that is used today. Must tell a few good friends about this. Thank you.
"Religion is comparable to Childhood neurosis" Sigmond Freud

"If one wishes to form a true estimate of the full grandeur of religion, one must keep in mind what it undertakes to do for men. It gives them information about the source and origin of the universe, it assures them of protection and final happiness amid the changing vicissitudes of life, and it guides their thoughts and motions by means of precepts which are backed by the whole force of its authority."

SIGMUND FREUD, New Introductory Lectures on Psychoanalysis

"Religion is an illusion and it derives its strength from the fact that it falls in with our instinctual desires."

SIGMUND FREUD, New Introductory Lectures on Psychoanalysis

"Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck." George Carlin

"The Bible and the Church have been the greatest stumbling blocks in the way of women's emancipation." Elizabeth Cady Stanton - American Suffragist (1815-1902)

"Who loves kitty" Robin Williams live on Broadway DVD

"You cannot petition the lord with prayer" Jim Morrison The Soft Parade.
I have autism and a hyperactive imagination, so this often causes me to be somewhat "overly-ambitious" in life, you know, attempting projects beyond my skills and experience, only to fail horribly at almost every conceivable juncture, even at doing the basic things. I fall into a deep depression that usually last several days as evident by some of my mood swings on the forums' shoutbox. >.>

I would volunteer for this, except the prospect of having someone else drill straight into my skull doesn't sound too inviting to be honest.

I'll manage as I've been doing for the last some 15 years and keep the treatment in mind when I'm absolutely desperate and exhausted all other options.
Until the long term effects are studied I don't understand how anyone can deem this as anything other than a medical sanctioned torture.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Man completely paralyzed by ALS asks for a beer via brain implant TaraJo 14 1027 March 26, 2022 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  [Serious] Link between brain damage and religious fundamentalism established Fake Messiah 9 987 November 18, 2019 at 12:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Screen time and the preschool brain brewer 8 740 November 6, 2019 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  The brain Drich 140 17043 May 15, 2019 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Human brain genes in monkeys popeyespappy 5 508 April 12, 2019 at 5:21 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Diets according to brain biologist from Russia purplepurpose 10 1773 November 15, 2018 at 6:32 pm
Last Post: Duty
  Religion Wires the Brain to Believe Nonsense Devout-Humanist 4 1029 October 17, 2018 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Pedophilia Brain Defect brewer 26 11406 June 8, 2017 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  The connection between religion and neuropsychological processes in the human brain Aroura 9 2251 March 10, 2017 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Interesting snippet on Tx resistent depression. brewer 73 8010 August 30, 2016 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus