Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion Wires the Brain to Believe Nonsense
Religion Wires the Brain to Believe Nonsense
A neuroscientist explains why evangelicals are wired to believe Trump’s lies.

One reason Trump supporters believe his lies comes from a basic fact about the brain: it takes more mental effort to reject an idea as false than to accept it as true. In other words, it’s easier to believe than to not.

For Christian fundamentalists, being taught to suppress critical thinking begins at a very early age. It is the combination of the brain’s vulnerability to believing unsupported facts and aggressive indoctrination that create the perfect storm for gullibility.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/10/neuroscientist-explains-evangelicals-wired-believe-trumps-lies/
Myths are for weak minds—Thinking takes effort—Following is easier
RE: Religion Wires the Brain to Believe Nonsense
Ya but this isn't anything we didn't already know.

Those of us who accept critical thinking and reasoning as normal traits, don't have to think harder to reject lies because we already know what to look for based on experience. Religious people are not so fortunate. They are suckers at the ready.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(October 14, 2018 at 2:23 pm)Devout-Humanist Wrote: A neuroscientist explains why evangelicals are wired to believe Trump’s lies.

One reason Trump supporters believe his lies comes from a basic fact about the brain: it takes more mental effort to reject an idea as false than to accept it as true. In other words, it’s easier to believe than to not.

For Christian fundamentalists, being taught to suppress critical thinking begins at a very early age. It is the combination of the brain’s vulnerability to believing unsupported facts and aggressive indoctrination that create the perfect storm for gullibility.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/10/neuroscientist-explains-evangelicals-wired-believe-trumps-lies/

The cognitive resources explanation makes some sense -- basically people are lazy.

Critical thinking, however, is not something inborn that then gets repressed.   It needs to be taught, and learned.  Evolution gave us instincts:  you see a shadow out of the corner of your eye, the hippocampus gives you a kick, and you jump the other way.  Because it's better to jump from a shadow that might be a tiger, than to not jump from one that is a tiger.  

It's only after that automatic reaction that we have the leisure to intellectualize and interpret the experience.  That can go a lot of ways.  We can reason that the shadow was cast by a rock, or a tree, or a bush -- or that it was cast by a tiger, a bear, or a demon.  To make any kind of objective assessment we'd have to gather evidence, compare similar experiences (replicate), analyze, test predictive theories (perhaps with our lives) -- in short, do a bunch of work.

And people are lazy.  It's just easier to jump at every shadow, and imagine they're cast by demons lurking in the dark.  
So long as it means we don't become lunch for a tiger, it works out, from a survival perspective.

If you teach people critical thinking, and they practice it, they'll be a lot less jumpy, and probably accomplish a whole lot more.

But they still may get eaten by a tiger. Smile
-- 
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
I really need to start my own cult.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(October 14, 2018 at 2:23 pm)Devout-Humanist Wrote: A neuroscientist explains why evangelicals are wired to believe Trump’s lies.

Actually religion doesn't do that, our empty brains at birth allow prior generations to fill us with nonsense. You can claim however, that religion does make ignorance harder to overcome. 

The God Delusion" gives a evolutionary reason as to why religions exist at all. It does have to do with neurology in that it is a misfire in the brain, much like a dog will bark at their reflection in the mirror. The old "moth to the flame" is another evolutionary example. But human ignorance globally in our species history is not a patent held by one religion.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Man completely paralyzed by ALS asks for a beer via brain implant TaraJo 14 1006 March 26, 2022 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  [Serious] Link between brain damage and religious fundamentalism established Fake Messiah 9 976 November 18, 2019 at 12:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Screen time and the preschool brain brewer 8 729 November 6, 2019 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  The brain Drich 140 16472 May 15, 2019 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Human brain genes in monkeys popeyespappy 5 489 April 12, 2019 at 5:21 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Diets according to brain biologist from Russia purplepurpose 10 1757 November 15, 2018 at 6:32 pm
Last Post: Duty
  Pedophilia Brain Defect brewer 26 11271 June 8, 2017 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  The connection between religion and neuropsychological processes in the human brain Aroura 9 2194 March 10, 2017 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  The Brain with David Eagleman Mudhammam 4 1447 November 6, 2015 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Question about Brain Heat 38 7629 October 20, 2015 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet