Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 2:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Link between brain damage and religious fundamentalism established
Link between brain damage and religious fundamentalism established
A link between brain damage and religious fundamentalism has now been established by scientists

Quote:journal Neuropsychologia has shown that religious fundamentalism is, in part, the result of a functional impairment in a brain region known as the prefrontal cortex. The findings suggest that damage to particular areas of the prefrontal cortex indirectly promotes religious fundamentalism by diminishing cognitive flexibility and openness—a psychology term that describes a personality trait which involves dimensions like curiosity, creativity, and open-mindedness.

According to Dr. Grafman and his team, since religious fundamentalism involves a strict adherence to a rigid set of beliefs, cognitive flexibility and open-mindedness present a challenge for fundamentalists. As such, they predicted that participants with lesions to either the vmPFC or the dlPFC would score low on measures of cognitive flexibility and trait openness and high on measures of religious fundamentalism.

The results showed that, as expected, damage to the vmPFC and dlPFC was associated with religious fundamentalism. Further tests revealed that this increase in religious fundamentalism was caused by a reduction in cognitive flexibility and openness resulting from the prefrontal cortex impairment. 

These findings are important because they suggest that impaired functioning in the prefrontal cortex—whether from brain trauma, a psychological disorder, a drug or alcohol addiction, or simply a particular genetic profile—can make an individual susceptible to religious fundamentalism. And perhaps in other cases, extreme religious indoctrination harms the development or proper functioning of the prefrontal regions in a way that hinders cognitive flexibility and openness.

https://www.salon.com/2019/01/08/a-link-...s_partner/
RE: Link between brain damage and religious fundamentalism established
Very interesting, indeed. Careful of a false syllogism, though. Just because brain damage will predispose one toward fundamentalism, it doesn't necessarily follow that fundamentalists are generally brain damaged.
(April 13, 2019 at 8:02 pm)bennyboy Wrote: Very interesting, indeed.  Careful of a false syllogism, though.  Just because brain damage will predispose one toward fundamentalism, it doesn't necessarily follow that fundamentalists are generally brain damaged.

True, but I'm still going to spring this one on the Jehovah's Witnesses next time they visit. Bwahahahaha!!!
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
Quote:These findings are important because they suggest that impaired functioning in the prefrontal cortex—whether from brain trauma, a psychological disorder, a drug or alcohol addiction, or simply a particular genetic profile—can make an individual susceptible to religious fundamentalism. And perhaps in other cases, extreme religious indoctrination harms the development or proper functioning of the prefrontal regions in a way that hinders cognitive flexibility and openness.

https://www.salon.com/2019/01/08/a-link-...s_partner/

The former is fine. The latter seems like reckless speculation unrelated to the substance of their research. The finding would appear to show that deficiencies in brain function can result in religious fundamentalism in some people. I think some might be tempted to then make the hasty generalization that deficiencies in brain function are at the root of religious fundamentalism in many, most, or all cases. That would be an error.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I could have told you that...

Anytime a JW or Mormon shows up at my house - I think - " here' s one who' s mom dropped on his head one too many times"....
Sure, in some cases. But ruthless indoctrination and being surrounded by people who are all similarly fundamentalists is bound to produce such results too. It would be a pretty abnormal person who could resist such psychological conditioning, or to even notice it’s happening.

Most people behave in a very dogmatic, closed-minded way about one subject or another. Everyone is susceptible to programming.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 14, 2019 at 9:43 am)Gwaithmir Wrote:
(April 13, 2019 at 8:02 pm)bennyboy Wrote: Very interesting, indeed.  Careful of a false syllogism, though.  Just because brain damage will predispose one toward fundamentalism, it doesn't necessarily follow that fundamentalists are generally brain damaged.

True, but I'm still going to spring this one on the Jehovah's Witnesses next time they visit. Bwahahahaha!!!

In my experience of jovies, they won't have clue 1 about what you are talking about, they'll change the subject and talk about something they claim to know something about, until you prove that they don't, then they'll tell you "that's just your opinion and tell you that you and they will just have to agree to disagree".
I don't know whether I need a bottle in front of me or a frontal lobotomy. Diablo
Maybe this shows that severe indoctrination is abuse which has serious physical consequences. I would assume none of this is really unique to religion, there’s nothing special about it.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
People with certain types of brain damage tending to be religious fundamentalists is not the same thing as religious fundamentalists having a certain type of brain damage. All canoes are boats but not all boats are canoes. There needs to be a prevalence study that yields the percentage of fundamentalists who have this type of brain damage vs. the general population before any generalization to religious fundamentalists in general is justified. People with autism are more likely to be atheists than the gen pop, that doesn't mean that atheism is caused by autism.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
I think the vmPFC is mostly known for its intermediate role between emotion and decision making, as well as impulse control. Anyone who has heard of the famous Phineas Gage has, as a result, heard of the consequences of damaging the vmPFC. When it comes to the also famous trolley problem (the part where you're asked to push a fat man onto the tracks), damage to the vmPFC makes people less hesitant to make the push (since its the "logical" solution). To a large extent its as if you are removing emotion from the person, leaving them only to consider the logical or theoretical approach to things.

Rather than low cognitive flexibility and openness being responsible for fundamentalist attitudes in these individuals, I do wonder if it is the lack of emotion. I'm not an expert on what fundamentalists are exactly, but the name does conjure up images of someone that thinks too strictly about religious ideas but seems to lack the emotion or empathy that would help balance those ideas out. Low flexibility and openness seem more like by-products of this biased emotion-reason interplay, than the actual root of fundamentalisms.

Regardless, others have already pointed out that the findings don't imply fundamentalists have brain damage. From what I read in the OP, the study just shows that damage to this area leads to low openness and cognitive flexibility, and that's it. How these traits manifests themselves could be highly variable; it just so happens that the researchers were looking to correlate it with religious fundamentalisms specifically. But I wouldn't be surprised if it also correlated with very strict-minded atheists as well; since you can be closed off and inflexible in whatever beliefs or ideas you hold.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Man completely paralyzed by ALS asks for a beer via brain implant TaraJo 14 1034 March 26, 2022 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Screen time and the preschool brain brewer 8 741 November 6, 2019 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  The brain Drich 140 17378 May 15, 2019 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Human brain genes in monkeys popeyespappy 5 509 April 12, 2019 at 5:21 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Diets according to brain biologist from Russia purplepurpose 10 1786 November 15, 2018 at 6:32 pm
Last Post: Duty
  Missing Link to A Missing Link! Minimalist 9 750 October 28, 2018 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Religion Wires the Brain to Believe Nonsense Devout-Humanist 4 1033 October 17, 2018 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Pedophilia Brain Defect brewer 26 11415 June 8, 2017 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  The Missing Link and the Irreducible Complexity of the Eye Rhondazvous 73 22761 June 8, 2017 at 6:57 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Correlations between Intelligence & Interest Azu 6 1252 May 8, 2017 at 11:32 am
Last Post: GrandizerII