Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HOLY FUCKBALLS, BATMAN
HOLY FUCKBALLS, BATMAN
This ought to piss off the fundies something fierce!

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/a-827144.html

Quote:Increasingly, though, it looks as though the Bible has handed down a distorted picture of history. Papyrus scrolls recovered from Qumran on the Dead Sea, as well as a fragment of the Bible that recently surfaced on the market for antiquities, necessitate a "complete reassessment," says Schorch.

RE: HOLY FUCKBALLS, BATMAN
(April 17, 2012 at 3:59 pm)Minimalist Wrote: This ought to piss off the fundies something fierce!

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/a-827144.html

Quote:Increasingly, though, it looks as though the Bible has handed down a distorted picture of history. Papyrus scrolls recovered from Qumran on the Dead Sea, as well as a fragment of the Bible that recently surfaced on the market for antiquities, necessitate a "complete reassessment," says Schorch.

Hardly a "complete reassessment," such scholarship has been around since the nineteenth century, and copies of the Samaritan Torah have always been in existence. Ironically the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls (In itself something that happened over fifty years ago.) has done more to confuse the issue than to clear it up... As for as the archaeological find. I'd love to see his published material because it sounds like he's found something pretty interesting, but as evidence of a Samaritan temple was found on Mount Gerizim some decades ago ( I think possibly before WWII, but not sure...), it's hardly groundbreaking news. This article isn't offering up any "new" evidence that isn't at least fifty years old already.

That said, it is an interesting article, and a fascinating topic, but I wish journalists who deal with the academic would resist the urge to portray things as "revolutionary" or "groundbreaking", when they aren't anything of the sort. I know Tiberius gets annoyed when they do it with science, and it is also slightly annoying when they do it with history. (Though to be honest, if it gets people interested, why not.)

I don't know if your aware but the specific dispute mentioned in the article is explicitly referenced in John Ch. 4, (Verse 20 if you don't wanna read the whole chapter for the context.).
(April 17, 2012 at 6:58 pm)King_Charles Wrote:

You have started upon a false premise and ignorance and being stubbornly unreceptive to new evidence.

(April 17, 2012 at 7:08 pm)Forsaken Wrote:
(April 17, 2012 at 6:58 pm)King_Charles Wrote:

You have started upon a false premise and ignorance and being stubbornly unreceptive to new evidence.
Care to expand on that?
Quote:I don't know if your aware but the specific dispute mentioned in the article is explicitly referenced in John Ch. 4, (Verse 20 if you don't wanna read the whole chapter for the context.).

I don't give a flying fuck what is in your stupid ass bible, buddy.

This is archaeological evidence...do you understand what that means? An ACTUAL SITE being excavated and not the pious blathering of xtian jerkoffs.
Um, did you even read my post? In it I point out that the site had ALREADY been excavated, and that none of the evidence claimed to be new in that article is actually new... this is all stuff that has been in libraries for decades.

The article itself is interesting for its description of the moder state of the Samartians, and the evidence it cites is largely accurate, however the idea that any of it is in any way "new" is entirely wrong.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Holy War Johanabrahams 105 8535 July 17, 2020 at 9:11 am
Last Post: brewer
  Is the Holy Spirit Misleading You? Rhondazvous 251 82835 July 12, 2017 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  The Holy Bible - fact or fiction? val5662 101 13242 March 28, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Holy Tree QuarkDriven 28 6853 July 23, 2015 at 12:30 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  What Exactly Does the Holy Spirit Do? Nope 92 16327 June 3, 2015 at 11:52 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Holy Stupid Cinjin 14 4575 April 27, 2015 at 10:56 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  Fish must be very holy Boris Karloff 99 24169 March 25, 2015 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  How often does the holy spirit talk to you? TubbyTubby 54 14663 March 20, 2015 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  This holy water thing is full of shit! Esquilax 35 12105 March 20, 2015 at 6:55 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Is the Holy Spirit lazy or ineffective? RobbyPants 21 8431 April 25, 2014 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: ThomM