Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:19 am

Poll: DOES it make sense now??
This poll is closed.
Yes, and I will not need to ask the people here a question they've answered 100 times over anymore! Thank you, Creed of Heresy!
33.33%
2 33.33%
Durrrr no it don't make no sense to me, it all talkin' 'bout purdy puzzlers and thur like, hurrdurr.
66.67%
4 66.67%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
TO ALL THEISTS: EVOLUTIONARY THEORY IN A NUTSHELL YOU CAN UNDERSTAND.
TO ALL THEISTS: EVOLUTIONARY THEORY IN A NUTSHELL YOU CAN UNDERSTAND.
I am copypasting this over from a post I made in the Atheism section, apologies to the admins and mods if this breaks the rules but the possible benefits make it worth it.

To every single theist who comes onto this forum saying that evolutionary theory is "a theory and not a fact," I am presenting this, fun, simple, and highly accurate explanation in the form of what I call the "puzzle analogy." Please read it before posting anything to this forum talking about evolutionary theory. Failure to do so is a silent contract that you have signed permitting me to lambast you and mercilessly sledgehammer you with contempt, ire, and insults belittling your intellect, negating any allowance for you to rightfully accuse me of being close-minded or ignorant, and generally making an ass out of yourself.

----
If the atheists here on this forum seem twitchy and prone to going "FOR FUCK'S SAKE, ARE YOU DAFT?!" when you ask a question we've all probably answered a dozen times [in the last week alone], you have to understand; repeating oneself over and over again tends to induce stress, ire, and frustration. I in particular am very prone to flipping my shit when I have to explain something that is basically elemental levels of knowledge and understanding for anyone of average intelligence, especially when I've had to do so about five times or so in very recent memory. Lately we've had a huge influx of people coming onto the forums saying that "evolution is not a fact, it's a THEORY" not even realizing that to say so is a self-contradictory statement.

Theories ARE facts. They are accepted as facts, they have evidence and information gathered via empirical studies and through a lot of research to show that it is fact. I usually use the puzzle analogy: The hypothesis is the empty puzzle board. You have the box of puzzle pieces but you haven't really started to put anything up yet. You've spread the pieces out, now you're looking for the pieces to start with. Then comes the information gathering; you begin putting the pieces together, bit by bit. Ideas that are correct are pieces of the puzzle that fit together. Ideas that are not are the pieces that don't go in properly with the others, so they are set aside to be put up later, to connect to other pieces of data to complete the picture.

Theory is the point at which you now have a very clear picture of the completed puzzle. The puzzle itself is not finished, but looking at the puzzle, you can see the picture. It's not whole, it's not complete, but it's at the point where the picture is visible. When something becomes scientific law, the puzzle is finished, complete, all pieces are put together and the puzzle is finished; there's nothing left to add to it. You can, of course, touch up the puzzle; pieces may have faded and need to be re-inked or colored a bit to properly make the picture look absolutely perfect, which is an analogy to information coming in later that augments or slightly changes the pieces ever so slightly. But ultimately, that picture is done, everything else is just little details there to make it look even nicer.

The theory of evolution is a puzzle about 90% done. Now we're just looking for the puzzle pieces to fit into the remaining gaps, but the picture is there and we can see it.

Creation theory and intelligent design, however, are the equivalent of a guy who has no puzzle pieces up, he hasn't even opened the box. He has just looked at the cover of the box and made up his own conjecture on how he thinks the puzzle pieces, that he has not seen, are going to go. He is uninformed about the puzzle beyond how it's going to look, or at least, how he THINKS it's going to look. And to teach creationism as a valid school of thought in schools is to basically take the two people, one with his nearly finished puzzle and the other with his conjectures and what he "believes" the puzzle should and will be, and put them together and say that the guy who hasn't even bothered to open the box, and instead is just making shit up based on his own unfounded speculation, is just as valid on the subject of putting this puzzle together as the guy who has spent a ton of time actually putting these pieces together is.

Make sense now?
RE: TO ALL THEISTS: EVOLUTIONARY THEORY IN A NUTSHELL YOU CAN UNDERSTAND.
Good luck. You seem to be operating under the assumption that they are looking for science to make sense, rather than concessions....
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Yeah. The problem is the many theists do not want evolution to make sense, as they consider it a threat to what they do want to believe is true. Ignorance can be fixed by inserting knowledge. Willful ignorance cannot be fixed. Just look at that Jireh idiot.
Perhaps but this is my manifesto de accepta; by posting this up, I hereby provide all theists who come to this board with an easy to understand analogy explaining why theory IS fact and why their supposed theory is not a theory, and not even a hypothesis, and that ergo if they claim otherwise from this moment onwards, they are subjecting themselves to the ridicule, blasting, and outright flaming that will result, and that they cannot whine about atheists being "close-minded" and "unaccepting," because the resources are now right here for them. This is our logical foundation for us to be dickheads to all theists onwards who claim creationism/ID is a valid school of thought, QED.
Damn CoH you are showing your naivete. You are assuming that when a religionist ask for questions about evolution, he's genuinly seeking answers, and you know that's not the case. All they want is to thrive on the fact that not all atheists know evolution to the doctorate level biologist as if by showing a particular atheist doesn't know enough about evolution their god was automatically true. I appreciate your effort, but what you've said was already said multiple times to no avail. They don't really want to know about evolution, all they want is to conform to their fantasies of god.
Logical foundations for being a dick.....?

Non-overlapping magisteria.....lol
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(April 25, 2012 at 12:19 pm)Creed of Heresy Wrote: TO ALL THEISTS: EVOLUTIONARY THEORY IN A NUTSHELL YOU CAN UNDERSTAND......

Make sense now?

If the theists had the powers to make sense of the world through meticulous observation, rigorous deduction, and continuous refinement, they would never have gravitated towards their pathetic godboy in the first place.

Their powers are strictly limited to "if its there, then somebody must have done it, and it feels so good to fantasize about the power of that somebody and the favor he holds for me"

There is not a single additional note in the moronic chorus of "god, god, god" besides a pathetically infantile rendition of "me, me, me".

Quote:Make sense now?

You can always tell a xtian but you can't tell him much.

Nice try, though. You operate from the false premise that these fucking morons want to stop being fucking morons.

They don't.

They prefer their fairy tales.
(April 25, 2012 at 12:24 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Good luck. You seem to be operating under the assumption that they are looking for science to make sense, rather than concessions....

Indeed,;beliefs which are formed and maintained without using credible evidence or reason are impervious to such an approach.Thinking
Hate to say it, but its pearls before swine. The ones that will get it already do, and those that don't would rather operate under extreme cognitive bias, whether they realize it or not.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  evolutionary psychology evolcon 163 10612 October 15, 2021 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Fossil worm shows us our evolutionary beginnings zebo-the-fat 0 361 March 24, 2020 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Theory of Evolution, Atheism, and Homophobia. RayOfLight 31 4966 October 25, 2017 at 9:24 am
Last Post: Brian37
  How Nature was able to understand what we need. RayOfLight 30 3507 October 14, 2017 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Evolutionary fine tuning ... ignoramus 10 1221 July 26, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Panspermia theory? mediocrates 28 4975 May 24, 2017 at 9:05 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Test My Theory: Macro evolution DOES happen? Gawdzilla Sama 44 12854 December 20, 2016 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Giulio Tononi's Theory of Consciousness Jehanne 11 3322 September 18, 2016 at 6:38 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Evolutionary Tree RoadRunner79 165 23524 September 8, 2016 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: RobertE
  The simple body test that proves the theory of evolution TubbyTubby 17 2762 March 22, 2016 at 5:50 am
Last Post: robvalue