Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Nature was able to understand what we need.
How Nature was able to understand what we need.
This question may sound "dumb" for some people, but the fact is, there is no stupid question.

The fact is I didn't learn about the theory of Evolution in school because I grew up in a Muslim country where teaching Evolution for what it is, is next to impossible. The books about the theory are either banned, or people don't dare look for them (you think you guys in America have it bad, try to go where I grew up and let's see what you think after). I'm planning however on taking a class on Biology or Evolutionary Biology at some point during my undergraduate degree (thankfully now I live in a Western developed country). So what I know so far about the theory is mostly by documentaries and a few books here and there, but not enough to give me the full picture, and here comes my question.

How was nature able to "understand" or "determine" what a living being needed? For example, how was nature able to "decide" that this creature needed a better eye to catch the light? Why did it even know that this being required to figure out where the light is in the first place? I don't know if my question makes sense, or if there is a better way to word it, but in simpler terms, how did the creature with light senses was even able to know that there is a light out there, a light outside, how and why did it know that it needed sight in the first place? Does my question make sense?
RE: How Nature was able to understand what we need.
thousands of your creatures may have developed slight variations in their eye structure, only the variations that conferred a significant benefit over the other creatures would be expected to produce more off spring

the majority of the eye variations would not have been advantageous, and those creatures would have had fewer off spring

'nature' doesn't 'know' anything, it just rolling the dice over and over and over, and the accumulation of winning hands is what your looking at
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

You're not thinking about it properly.

Evolution is a directionless process.  To take your example, suppose we have a creature with no visual sense capability (no eyes) at all.  For a million generations or so, these creatures managed to survive - they didn't 'need' sight, neither they nor nature 'decided' anything.

One day, one of these creatures underwent a mutation - just one of those random genetic scrambles that can happen in the best of families.  This particular mutation turned a few skin cells light-sensitive.  They weren't 'eyes' in any meaningful sense of the word, they merely enabled this particular creature to distinguish a slightly darker area from a slightly lighter area.  Over time, mostly through trial and error, the creature made the association of food with the slightly lighter area (the things it ate happened to be in the light).  And bingo, the mutation turns out to be beneficial.  These few light-sensitive cells gave the creature better access to a food source.  Being able to eat better means you're likely to stay alive long enough to have offspring, some of which may inherit your mutation.  Over time, selection pressure improves the light sensitivity as well as the organization of the cells in question.  In another million or billion generations (evolutionary processes are nothing if not patient), you have eyes.

And no one had to decide anything.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Nature doesn't decide anything. Creatures that have traits which give them an advantage, however slight, in terms of survival and reproduction, get the chance to live long enough to be sexually selected, reproduce and thus pass on the genes responsible for those traits. Nature is a filtering process, not a guiding intelligence. There's a lot more to it than that, but those are essentially the basics.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(October 13, 2017 at 9:07 pm)RayOfLight Wrote: This question may sound "dumb" for some people, but the fact is, there is no stupid question.

The fact is I didn't learn about the theory of Evolution in school because I grew up in a Muslim country where teaching Evolution for what it is, is next to impossible. The books about the theory are either banned, or people don't dare look for them (you think you guys in America have it bad, try to go where I grew up and let's see what you think after). I'm planning however on taking a class on Biology or Evolutionary Biology at some point during my undergraduate degree (thankfully now I live in a Western developed country). So what I know so far about the theory is mostly by documentaries and a few books here and there, but not enough to give me the full picture, and here comes my question.

How was nature able to "understand" or "determine" what a living being needed? For example, how was nature able to "decide" that this creature needed a better eye to catch the light? Why did it even know that this being required to figure out where the light is in the first place? I don't know if my question makes sense, or if there is a better way to word it, but in simpler terms, how did the creature with light senses was even able to know that there is a light out there, a light outside, how and why did it know that it needed sight in the first place? Does my question make sense?

Nature didn't decide anything. Evolution is not teleological.

(October 13, 2017 at 9:07 pm)RayOfLight Wrote: How was nature able to "understand" or "determine" what a living being needed?
It wasn't.  All the stuff you see..that;s what's left.  Everything else is dead.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I think something that gets missed in most discussions with evolution deniers is the vastness of the genetic pool. It seems as though their thinking is linear through a single string of "evolution". The thing is, there are many millions, no, really, billions of organisms, with all kinds of variation. How many organisms have a mutation that helps? Hard to say, but it likely takes a lot of organisms mutating (because many of them may die or be eaten before reproducing) before that mutation actually propagates in the species.

We don't know that "Nature" is sentient; the evidence says otherwise. What "we" "need" is to survive; that is ALL. Many species die out all the time. What about their "needs"? They got aced out of the gene pool. How did Nature "understand their needs"?

Another, though slightly off topic, is the claim that mankind hasn't seen one species evolve into another. Given that the current population of the world is the end result of millions/billions of years of evolution, what else would one expect? Most of what exists is already the "end" product.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
OP, if I asked you why do all meteors land in craters, you'd think I'm silly.
Same goes here.

There's a place in the American desert where the brown mice live protected amongst the brown rocks and not very far away there are light coloured mice living happily amongst the light coloured rocks.

If the mice hadn't mutated their skin colours respectively, we wouldn't even be talking about them because they would have perished like the vast majority of species.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(October 13, 2017 at 10:56 pm)ignoramus Wrote: OP, if I asked you why do all meteors land in craters, you'd think I'm silly.

So would I. Meteors don't land at all, in any sense.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I can't explain it any better than those who posted above me. I would like to add one thing though: The universe doesn't care whether or not you understand it. It goes on existing the way it is. Do you understand how a television remote control works? How about a blood-pressure medication? How about a fission reactor? All of those things go on functioning according to the laws of physics - irrespective of whether you understand the physical principles under which they operate or not.

We all have our strengths and weaknesses when it comes to understanding and expertise. I am particularly adept at mechanical and electronics technology. Biology isn't my thing. But I understand the scientific method well. I also understand the system within which scientists of all types operate. It is a demanding system which can be brutal to individual scientists and individual hypotheses. It demands results. Put up or shut up. When a theory survives scrutiny under that system for so long and even grows stronger the more it is put under the microscope...well, we begin to have a lot of confidence in it

Perhaps you might study the scientific method itself. It is a methodology for learning what is true as long as the proposition is testable. The claims made by the theory of evolution are testable and have withstood a barrage of testing for over a century. There are few theories of science that are on more solid ground than evolution. I don't personally have a strong understanding of it but my understanding of the system under which it thrives gives me tremendous confidence in its truthfulness.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In the future men will be able to carry children just like women rado84 110 11106 October 4, 2016 at 9:12 am
Last Post: mcolafson
  On the nature, reliability and abuses of memory. Whateverist 7 1238 August 29, 2016 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Sleep patterns. Nature or Nurture? ignoramus 19 1978 July 6, 2016 at 4:19 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Nature: Does evolutionary theory need a rethink? Dolorian 10 4059 October 12, 2014 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Chas
  Precision in Nature: Evidence of God or Accidents? Alter2Ego 20 8222 August 13, 2013 at 9:48 am
Last Post: Something completely different
  They were able to record a thought being formed in a zebrafish. Annik 3 2084 February 1, 2013 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Women and Nature KichigaiNeko 18 7251 August 4, 2012 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  TO ALL THEISTS: EVOLUTIONARY THEORY IN A NUTSHELL YOU CAN UNDERSTAND. Creed of Heresy 47 21181 May 11, 2012 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Jovian
  Raw Nature Zen Badger 12 5897 March 28, 2012 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger