Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Design argument
Design argument
Just have to rant about what happened and maybe someone here can use the same type of idea when confronted with this argument. Today I was sitting in the lunch room at work reading The Empty Tomb (on my Kindle so nobody knew) when one of my coworkers decided to come over and ask about the Kindle and saw what I was reading. He assumed I was an atheist and decided to throw the well debunked design argument at me. Pretty much all his "eggs" were in one basket as he was telling me how improbable the universe was without god. I really didn't want to get into a long drawn out argument since I was at work (didn't understand how this guy thought talking god and eventually Christianity at work was ok) so I let him go on. After he finished with the universe, he tried the same with the Earth and humans. He finally started on what I was dreading to hear and told me how Jesus fulfilling all those prophecies was highly improbable if not impossible without being god. I had enough, I went into my locker where I had a deck of cards. Gave them to the guy and asked him to shuffle the deck. While he was shuffling I told him the probability of any one order of the entire 52 card deck was approximately 8 x 1067. I took the deck back, turned it over and exclaimed "holy shit, what were the odds I'd get that order - oh yeah, 1 in 8 x 1067. Then I walked away but before I did I heard his jaw hit the floor.

Why do people still think that idiocy of an argument is convincing to anyone with an education above 3rd grade?
RE: Design argument
(May 1, 2012 at 11:02 am)Phil Wrote: Why do people still think that idiocy of an argument is convincing to anyone with an education above 3rd grade?

Because to be a believing christian, one must be too dim to absorb the concept that knowledge above 3rd grade level can in fact exist, much less actually exist in flesh and blood.
Somebody asked me about the creationist "debate". In return I asked 'What debate?'.
I respect you too much to believe that you could possibly hold those ridiculous beliefs. - Richard Dawkins, 2012
Because they are so fucking stupid that it is enough to them.
The anthropic argument is funny: The odds against us existing are astronomical (even though they aren't given all planets and stars and possibilities for inhabitable planets out there). So the only way we could exist is if god made it possible.

But we do exist. So the chance was 100% any way you slice it. It proves nothing other than that. End of argument.
"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." -Friedrich Nietzsche

"All thinking men are atheists." -Ernest Hemmingway

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intelligent design Nihilist Virus 27 3441 April 5, 2019 at 11:40 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Intelligent design? Really? Bad Wolf 170 30640 March 9, 2014 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
  What Intelligent Design Tells Us About God FadingW 13 5365 September 18, 2010 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb