Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just a little rant:
Just a little rant:
On the side of my atheist writing, (which can be found at <snip> Tongue) I also help a film maker friend of mine on projects from time to time. In a recent project, I had to work with an actress who had made a very clear point--

"I've dated 2 atheists, and neither treated me well. Therefore, I can deduct that because they did not believe in my Jewish God, no man who doesn't believe in the Jewish God can possibly know how to treat a woman correctly"

Now, of course, this is absurd. I don't think there's anyone on this forum who could disagree, the shear logic of it is mind bloggling to even some of the most fundamental believers. However, here's where I reach a bit of bitterness:

We work hard, I would imagine, to write and change the world in a good way--no matter what we believe. There are good people fighting for a good cause on all levels of belief. However, Atheists are the only ones that seem to be discounted as inherently evil by the majority.

How do we change the way the world works? How do we change the viewpoints of oppression and hatred within religion and politics alike into a more secular standpoint, where a Christian can go to church, an Atheist can feel safe in their society, and we're not so blanking stupid?

Perhaps I'm too idealistic and optomistic with humanity--But the problem is, I do not know how to stop my concerns and writing. I would be very interested to hear others input on discouragements along the journey of writing for a secular society and humanitarianism.

Chris Roth
RE: Just a little rant:
All we can do is being the best person we can possibly be and hope that it is enough for out society to judge in our favor.

When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

No matter how well behaved you are, or how educated, supportive and kind....you will be hated because you don't believe in the same nonsense they do. Intolerance is ugly my friend.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Although I express a fairly vulnerable feeling in this post, I think there are circumstances surrounding my situation that make it feel worse than it really is. Christopher Hitchens said it best when he said that to be a writer, you can't want it or should want it--you have to need it. Because without it, you cannot live. I feel exactly this way, however, the story of Nieztche and the horse being beaten to death when he was too close to death himself to stop it comes to mind. This is a man (Nieztche) who devoted his life to the concepts of morality and philosophy. On his deathbed, he would never see his changes made. I'm not entirely sure he would see them today either. However, as Hitchens put it, if you're a writer--it seems you have no choice. (No wonder we're all alcoholics Tongue)
Hold the phone...

This lady WANTED to be treated in the way JHVH treats women in the bible.

The bible. You know, the one that justified the violent subordination of women for centuries.

Sorry... just had a wtf moment myself.

She was probably upset because the atheists refused to stone her to death iif she couldn't prove her virginity.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
(May 8, 2012 at 10:32 am)NoMoreFaith Wrote: Hold the phone...

This lady WANTED to be treated in the way JHVH treats women in the bible.

The bible. You know, the one that justified the violent subordination of women for centuries.

Sorry... just had a wtf moment myself.

She was probably upset because the atheists refused to stone her to death iif she couldn't prove her virginity.

LOL! I wasn't going to go there, but yeah--I concur. (And thank you for "going there" Tongue)
(May 8, 2012 at 10:02 am)Chris.Roth Wrote: How do we change the way the world works?

I think about that a lot. Depends on how you want to change it. Are you interested in the end result or how it's achieved? Or perhaps both? I'm more interested in how it's achieved - if the change is brought about by the thoughtful consideration of those who desire to know when they're wrong, I'd be satisfied.
(May 8, 2012 at 10:57 am)Tempus Wrote:
(May 8, 2012 at 10:02 am)Chris.Roth Wrote: How do we change the way the world works?

I think about that a lot. Depends on how you want to change it. Are you interested in the end result or how it's achieved? Or perhaps both? I'm more interested in how it's achieved - if the change is brought about by the thoughtful consideration of those who desire to know when they're wrong, I'd be satisfied.

I bring up Nieztche and the story of his witnessing a horses cruel murder by humans (and the horses owner) quite often. I bring it up for a reason. Nieztche will never know the works he did, and how he changed the world. However, from a perspective of a logician, it doesn't matter--he DID change the world. If after I die, my writings have done nothing for the world, fine--at least it made me feel better. If they DO change the world after my death, that's even better. If they changed the world during my life, I'd probably be called a messiah.
Belief or the lack thereof, is no guarantee against being an asshole.
(May 8, 2012 at 12:45 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: Belief or the lack thereof, no guarantee against being an asshole.

Amen (pun intended)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Not Even A Little Bit Serious] Why AREN'T You An Atheist? BrianSoddingBoru4 28 3438 December 28, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  I told my little girl about angels yesterday... Jehanne 44 10770 September 6, 2017 at 11:23 am
Last Post: mordant
  I need to rant to other atheists mlmooney89 22 3555 June 30, 2016 at 4:23 pm
Last Post: RozKek
  God is Dead Rant ManMadeGod 5 1814 December 14, 2015 at 3:30 pm
Last Post: ManMadeGod
  Religious bumper stickers and other annoying religious actions. (rant, sorta) DIRTY_DEEDS_93 53 12774 May 25, 2015 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  Rant Mode. Some Religious People Are Really Good. Mudhammam 10 2332 March 17, 2015 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Rant against anti-atheist agnostics. Whateverist 338 57909 February 21, 2015 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: comet
  Chriatian Phoenix's Deadlt Rant jackson 65 8476 January 27, 2015 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Exian
  Need to rant: stupid Christians Phazzle 13 3007 October 28, 2014 at 2:23 am
Last Post: ForumMember77
  A little bit of a personal crisis SilentVex 48 8672 July 27, 2014 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene