Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rant against anti-atheist agnostics.
Rant against anti-atheist agnostics.
Don't get me wrong, I'm agnostic too. Very much so in fact.

But 'militant' agnostics, like a certain new member whose user name cuts a little close to home, tick me off. Please tell me what it is you think you know about what these god-things are that makes you argue so vociferously against non-belief in them.

I get agnosticism. I don't get anti-atheism. What is that about? Personally I have no more trouble with agnostic theists than I do agnostic atheists. These are my peoples.

Anti-atheist agnostics, like their brethren atheist anti-theists, carry around huge axes to grind. Both talk proudly of reasoned argument and evidence. But both are obviously more animated by emotional bile than any reason they actually own up to. Both are obviously working through issues which cloud their judgment.

[/vent]
RE: Rant against anti-atheist agnostics.
The want to fit in with majority theists, but feel superior to majority theists at the same time. Self styled visionaries with little wit and no real conviction, the sort of contrarian who, had they not been contrarian, would have been perfectly happy being pastor to the dumbest theists.
I am right there with you.

Every anti-atheist agnostic I've ever run across, seems to have a (excuse the expression), 'holier than thou' attitude toward atheists, which usually comes from the same misunderstanding of atheism as most theists have.

They also seem to think agnosticism is some sort of happy middle ground between theism (belief) and atheism (disbelief).

Belief is the psychological state in which one accepts a proposition to be true. Either you accept the proposition that a god exists (theism), or you don't accept the proposition that a god exists (atheism). There is no middle ground.

I am against forcing labels on people, but if you currently do not actively accept the proposition that at least one god exists is true, by definition, you are an atheist.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(September 20, 2014 at 5:02 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: They also seem to think agnosticism is some sort of happy middle ground between theism (belief) and atheism (disbelief).

Belief is the psychological state in which one accepts a proposition to be true. Either you accept the proposition that a god exists (theism), or you don't accept the proposition that a god exists (atheism). There is no middle ground.

I am against forcing labels on people, but if you currently do not actively accept the proposition that at least one god exists is true, by definition, you are an atheist.

^Yep, very much this.^

It is fine and good to say, as I will myself sometimes, that deciding what to believe regarding gods is just not a high enough priority to bother with at this time. But, in truth, I really don't believe in fanciful things which other people claim in the absence of any clear idea of what it is they believe in or any reason why I should too. So I'm definitely an atheist, if only a provisional one.

Our new member definitely has the idea that she is maintaining neutrality in the absence of any evidence for gnostic theism or (gnostic) atheism. What she fails to recognize is that atheism is not a counter claim, it is simply the rejection of the prior claim for theism.

Aack.
Quote:Don't get me wrong, I'm agnostic too. Very much so in fact.
Really? How certain are you that god doesn't exist?
Quote:But 'militant' agnostics, like a certain new member whose user name cuts a little close to home, tick me off. Please tell me what it is you think you know about what these god-things are that makes you argue so vociferously against non-belief in them.
They seem to think agnosticism is a cool middle ground, and they also appear to love tolerance and mutual respect so they dislike conflicts between them and others, and between others. They also think god can't be proven or disproven, and so the best we can do is speculate and take no more position.
Quote:I get agnosticism. I don't get anti-atheism. What is that about? Personally I have no more trouble with agnostic theists than I do agnostic atheists. These are my peoples.
I don't get agnosticism, it is anti-pragmatic and makes us nihilistic.
Quote:Anti-atheist agnostics, like their brethren atheist anti-theists, carry around huge axes to grind. Both talk proudly of reasoned argument and evidence. But both are obviously more animated by emotional bile than any reason they actually own up to. Both are obviously working through issues which cloud their judgment.
Any problem with anti-theism?
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(September 20, 2014 at 7:43 pm)Blackout Wrote:
Quote:Don't get me wrong, I'm agnostic too. Very much so in fact.
Really? How certain are you that god doesn't exist?

Not at all, actually. The formal term for it is ignostic. I find the concept of god to be incoherent. No two believers seem to have exactly the same idea. What agreement there is is the byproduct of adopting the dogma of some religious institution.

(September 20, 2014 at 7:43 pm)Blackout Wrote: (Agnostics) think god can't be proven or disproven, and so the best we can do is speculate and take no more position.

Since I'm not at all clear what counts as a god, I am not at all certain what would count as confirming or disproving god. Unless I am just stupid about gods, I don't really think anyone else knows either. Therefore I don't think anyone can prove or disprove gods, but that doesn't matter much. I'm fine with simply not believing. I don't insist on KNOWING no gods exist.

The only thing I have to give up is thinking everyone who chooses to believe in something they call a god is a putz. That isn't really anything I want any way.

(September 20, 2014 at 7:43 pm)Blackout Wrote:
Quote:I get agnosticism. I don't get anti-atheism. What is that about? Personally I have no more trouble with agnostic theists than I do agnostic atheists. These are my peoples.
I don't get agnosticism, it is anti-pragmatic and makes us nihilistic.

I'm not nihilistic and I'm not a strict pragmatist because I don't believe expedience is always the highest good. But I'm comfortable without certainty. It might not work for you.

(September 20, 2014 at 7:43 pm)Blackout Wrote: Any problem with anti-theism?

Yes. I think it too often willfully misrepresents and overstates its case without regard for developing any real empathy for what it that theists value and why. Knocking down the ridiculous claims of fundamentalist theists is too easy.

There really is nothing you can say to someone who believes in a god and recognizes that it is a choice of faith and not an outcome of reason. An agnostic theist deserves your respect though not your agreement.
I know a couple like that that get on my nerves. Both claim that atheists are as bad as Christians for they think we all believe we have proof deities don't exist. I think they are just confused on the definition and are also likely closet atheists for they sure despise organized religions too.
I think I prefer the term Sceptic/ Skeptic.

So far I have not seen any proof of any of the, what 3,000 odd gods that humanity believes in to be the "One True God"

Conclusion? There are no gods, just people wanting power.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(September 20, 2014 at 8:05 pm)whateverist Wrote: Yes. I think it too often willfully misrepresents and overstates its case without regard for developing any real empathy for what it that theists value and why. Knocking down the ridiculous claims of fundamentalist theists is too easy.
In my sig line, you will see an expression of anti-theism. I'm not interested in developing any empathy for that belief. None. I don't care why they value it. It's hardly a ridiculous claim coming from the fringe, it's a ridiculous claim that defines the faith. It's still easy to shit on, though.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 20, 2014 at 9:22 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(September 20, 2014 at 8:05 pm)whateverist Wrote: Yes. I think it too often willfully misrepresents and overstates its case without regard for developing any real empathy for what it that theists value and why. Knocking down the ridiculous claims of fundamentalist theists is too easy.
In my sig line, you will see an expression of anti-theism. I'm not interested in developing any empathy for that belief. None. I don't care why they value it. It's hardly a ridiculous claim coming from the fringe, it's a ridiculous claim that defines the faith. It's still easy to shit on, though.

That is your choice of course. Just as it is their choice to go on believing the fantastic things their parents pressed on them so fervently. Anyone can shit on anyone else and ridicule what they find profound. Gawd knows enough theists revile atheists with enthusiasm. I just don't have a dog in that fight.

People believe extravagant things. I do. I think you do too. What's more, aside from empirical fact, none of us is privy to any absolute scale of values from which to judge what is or should be important to people. I just go ahead and stake my claim to what I value with no thought to justifying that to anyone else.

I try to respect the choices of others, but not because I think that is what a good person should do. I do it because I prefer to live in a world of peers and not some solipsistic nightmare where I am the only one with the truth and everyone who disagrees is just a deluded zombie. I want no part of that world. Tolerance is the only viable way.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  History: The Iniquitous Anti-Christian French Revolution. Nishant Xavier 27 2246 August 6, 2023 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 2003 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
Question Atheists and Agnostics that have child Eclectic 11 1184 August 28, 2022 at 3:36 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  All kind of Agnostics people Eclectic 4 508 August 25, 2022 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Angry Atheists and Anti-Theists Agnostico 186 18638 December 31, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3502 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Why America is anti-theist. Goosebump 3 1114 March 1, 2018 at 9:06 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Anti-Theism Haipule 134 25230 December 20, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  Atheists, what are your thoughts on us Agnostics? NuclearEnergy 116 27005 November 30, 2017 at 12:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Tongue Let's see some Atheist or Anti Religion Memes Spooky 317 159154 July 10, 2017 at 5:00 am
Last Post: ignoramus