Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:38 am

Poll: For "Hard Atheists" - Do You Aggressively Oppose Belief In God?
This poll is closed.
Yes
72.73%
16 72.73%
No
27.27%
6 27.27%
Total 22 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for "Hard Atheists" - Do You Oppose Religion In General?
Question for "Hard Atheists" - Do You Oppose Religion In General?
Hi, there.

I'm currently in a discussion on another message board regarding the definition of "atheist" with a lady who is saying that those we call "hard atheists" (who believe no God(s) exist) shouldn't be called atheists at all, but are really "anti-theists". She is essentially arguing that the word "atheist" refers only to "soft atheists" (those who don't believe God(s) exists, but don't positively believe God(s) do not exist).

When I pointed out the phrase "anti-theist" already refers to those who actively oppose theism, she responded that there's no real difference between them, that "hard atheists" are (in her own words) "precisely against God belief and oppose it very aggressively", and thus are already anti-theists, thus there's no problem merging the two groups under a single definition.

I bet her that I could find at least a dozen "hard atheists" who don't aggressively oppose belief in God, but who view belief in God a little like adults generally view a child's belief in Santa - believe he doesn't exist, but don't aggressively oppose such belief in others.

What I'm wondering is if there are any "hard atheists" here that fit that bill, who don't aggressively oppose belief in God. While "soft atheists" can of course put in their two cents, I'm mostly interested in hearing from the "hard" ones, and, please, only "hard atheists" for the poll itself. Thanks.
RE: Question for "Hard Atheists" - Do You Oppose Religion In General?
I'm an anti-theist. I believe religion is an inspiration for violence, bigotry and death. I am also an atheist. I will not intrude on your right to believe in fairies, but the moment those fairies are used as an excuse for injustice, you will not see a very happy Annik.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Unlike "god" religion actually exists. "God" is merely the product that religion sells to gullible fools to the detriment of humanity since the beginning of time.

Does that help?
nice to meet you.
they can land a rover on mars, yet they still have to stick a human finger up my ass to do a prostate exam?! - ricky gervais
I have no problem with people believing in God or in gods it's just the rest of the baggage that I usually object to Undecided
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Darwinian,

You aren't a "Hard Atheist" though are you? This poll was only for them. I voted too, then retracted when I re-read the title of the poll.
(May 30, 2012 at 10:04 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: Darwinian,

You aren't a "Hard Atheist" though are you? This poll was only for them. I voted too, then retracted when I re-read the title of the poll.

Very true. Dodgy
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
WTF is a hard atheist? Did I miss something? Has Tib been posting Shell boobs again? Shit, I knew it I missed boobies didn't I?
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
I would be delighted if you don't waste your life on religion, but I won't oppose you if you do. However, I will oppose you and your religion if you don't keep it to yourself.
(May 30, 2012 at 10:08 pm)popeyespappy Wrote: WTF is a hard atheist? Did I miss something? Has Tib been posting Shell boobs again? Shit, I knew it I missed boobies didn't I?

Boobs and penis. It was glorious.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4029 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Which religion would be easiest for you if you had to be in one? Fake Messiah 31 3099 July 17, 2019 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Losty
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11026 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Question to atheists Alexmahone 34 4582 July 31, 2018 at 2:00 am
Last Post: Aroura
  Alien Question for Atheists Catholic_Lady 99 13326 May 30, 2018 at 5:54 am
Last Post: robvalue
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2176 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Does atheism oppose the world religions? cosmology 31 6059 January 4, 2018 at 10:52 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Sometimes it's hard for me to shut up about my atheism Der/die AtheistIn 23 5217 August 15, 2017 at 5:18 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  A Question From Atheists nosferatu323 200 55843 July 4, 2017 at 12:37 am
Last Post: Astonished
  General statement to theists who read this. Brian37 24 3337 April 11, 2017 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Jeanne