Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science + Creation
Science + Creation

A friend linked me to this on Facebook. We were talking about the Creation account and how I think that from observations of the cosmos alone we can determine that 'billions of years' is the right time scale for most things.

This movie seems to seek a compromise between science and a reasonable take on creation.

Thoughts anyone?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
RE: Science + Creation
What the hell is a reasonable take on creation? The world was created by god but also really wasn't?
(June 2, 2012 at 3:14 am)Chuck Wrote: What the hell is a reasonable take on creation? The world was created by god but also really wasn't?

"God pointed his finger over 6 literal days and things popped into existence" - not reasonable.

"We acknowledge the scientific facts and we believe the Bible account still reflects reality without contradiction" - reasonable.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
The claim that bible account reflects without contradiction such reality as revealed by scientific fact is itself unreasonable.

One is not being reasonable by saying to mutually exclusive things are equally true.

I've been on a marathon posting spree tonight, so am begging off on the video.

The following is a five part Youtube video, but I would have to pose it as a hurdle to any proposed "middle-ground". (That, and new video drivers have borked VLC. Sad )

Why Young Earth Creationists Must Deny Gravity, Part I (of V)

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(June 2, 2012 at 3:27 am)Chuck Wrote: The claim that bible account reflects without contradiction such reality as revealed by scientific fact is itself unreasonable.
How so? Where's the flaw in the claim if the facts (science) and the account (the Bible) are in agreement?

Quote:One is not being reasonable by saying to mutually exclusive things are equally true.

Agreed that if that were the case then of course it would be a silly stance. But as I said above, where's the flaw? Or by what you're trying to say, where does mutual exclusivity actually come into play?

Thanks for linking me to that apophenia. I'll have a look at the 5 parts when I get the time.

I just watched the first 50 seconds of that one and I agree with what it's saying about the speed of light. The thing with the video my friend showed me is that their argument is that time wasn't constant in the beginning.

Because the simple explanation of why the universe is so old relies on the equation

time = distance/speed

it means that if time wasn't constant then that changes the outcome of the equation to a possibly wrong answer, just like if the speed of light wasn't always constant (which I think it always has). Either way I'll check out the 5 videos and see what their arguments are.
Science + Creation = Rubbish
Trying to update my sig ...
(June 2, 2012 at 1:07 am)FallentoReason Wrote:

A friend linked me to this on Facebook. We were talking about the Creation account and how I think that from observations of the cosmos alone we can determine that 'billions of years' is the right time scale for most things.

This movie seems to seek a compromise between science and a reasonable take on creation.

Thoughts anyone?

There are no reasonable takes on creation. If you're going to use reason as a base for your beliefs, then why not just accept the science?
Apologetics should be carbon dated. It is really getting old.
Trying to update my sig ...
HA HA HA H- oh, you're serious aren't you?
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evolution/creation video Drich 62 9525 January 15, 2020 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Could God's creation be like His omniscience? Whateverist 19 5983 May 18, 2017 at 2:45 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Tower of Bible and creation of languages mcolafson 41 6102 September 22, 2016 at 9:33 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Creation Muesum Blondie 225 35175 October 31, 2015 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Biblical Creation and the Geological Record in Juxtaposition Rhondazvous 11 3861 June 7, 2015 at 7:42 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Creation/evolution3 Drich 626 141595 February 10, 2015 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Creation "science" at its finest! Esquilax 22 7502 January 30, 2015 at 9:11 am
Last Post: Strongbad
  Reliability of the creation account robvalue 129 12388 January 20, 2015 at 3:48 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Creation BrokenQuill92 33 10063 March 27, 2014 at 1:42 am
Last Post: psychoslice
  Over 30 Creation Stories StoryBook 5 2598 January 11, 2014 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: Minimalist