Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Universe Not Made For Us
A Universe Not Made For Us

'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
RE: A Universe Not Made For Us
Carl Sagan is a timeless voice of reason. Thanks for sharing this.

Carl Sagan was a great man. Truly. An inspiration to us all.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Same here, Carl Sagen not only a voice of reason, but damn good teacher when the TV could be called boob tube.

One of the early reasons for sending checks PBS 13.

Thanks for sharing.
"Religion is comparable to Childhood neurosis" Sigmond Freud

"If one wishes to form a true estimate of the full grandeur of religion, one must keep in mind what it undertakes to do for men. It gives them information about the source and origin of the universe, it assures them of protection and final happiness amid the changing vicissitudes of life, and it guides their thoughts and motions by means of precepts which are backed by the whole force of its authority."

SIGMUND FREUD, New Introductory Lectures on Psychoanalysis

"Religion is an illusion and it derives its strength from the fact that it falls in with our instinctual desires."

SIGMUND FREUD, New Introductory Lectures on Psychoanalysis

"Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck." George Carlin

"The Bible and the Church have been the greatest stumbling blocks in the way of women's emancipation." Elizabeth Cady Stanton - American Suffragist (1815-1902)

"Who loves kitty" Robin Williams live on Broadway DVD

"You cannot petition the lord with prayer" Jim Morrison The Soft Parade.
I can't see it Sad

*Posts as a reminder to view at home*
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance." To the sane adult. Christianity tells us that ignorance and obedience are preferable to knowledge. That's true - for VERY young children.
I love that series, i'll watch through all 3 every few months just cuz it's so moving.
"In our youth, we lacked the maturity, the decency to create gods better than ourselves so that we might have something to aspire to. Instead we are left with a host of deities who were violent, narcissistic, vengeful bullies who reflected our own values. Our gods could have been anything we could imagine, and all we were capable of manifesting were gods who shared the worst of our natures."-Me

"Atheism leaves a man to sense, to philosophy, to natural piety, to laws, to reputation; all of which may be guides to an outward moral virtue, even if religion vanished; but religious superstition dismounts all these and erects an absolute monarchy in the minds of men." – Francis Bacon
Watching the series now. Thanks for sharing it.
I've always loved the poetic nature of Sagan's expression.

I also love the comedic blunt force trauma that is Neil deGrasse Tyson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGKRurORkCA

Meh. Ignorance and obedience works for some people. If that's what they want, God bless 'em. Just don't be insisting on making my world in that image.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink The Universe Haipule 19 2801 June 25, 2019 at 8:13 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  APOD -- Scale of the Universe Jehanne 2 765 October 7, 2018 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  The universe in 4 minutes Napoléon 2 984 May 23, 2016 at 7:52 pm
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
  Options for origin of universe Kingpin 31 6372 August 5, 2015 at 10:20 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  A universe from nothing Lawrence M. Krauss dyresand 10 4561 February 25, 2015 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  "Time does not exist outside of the universe, so nothing can predate the universe." IanHulett 18 6991 February 22, 2015 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  'A Universe From Nothing' by Lawrence Krauss, AAI 2009 dred-pirate-rob 3 2926 October 27, 2013 at 10:17 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  How the universe appered from nothing Dolphins are the best 15 5805 October 25, 2013 at 5:21 am
Last Post: max-greece
  Brain Cells and the Universe FallentoReason 31 14528 February 8, 2013 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: Zone
  Our universe exists inside a black hole fuckass365 2 1787 June 4, 2012 at 9:50 am
Last Post: fuckass365