Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 2:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
E-Text version of the Bible with UNBIASED explanations?
E-Text version of the Bible with UNBIASED explanations?
For the iPad, Kindle, Nook, etc.?

Or is there a website which I can go to with hard facts- what they meant by this. I'm a journalism student and going to investigate Christianity for my college paper. I'm an atheist. Though I am at a very liberal campus, I was a very discouraged when I overheard two obviously Christian students talking about homosexuals and God and being very rude. We have had two too many Christian fundamentalists come to our campus to spread a message of hate. It deeply saddens me.

I'm also looking for a website about the history of the Bible. Good stuff. I can buy books too. I'm looking around everywhere, including EBSCO Host. I'm trying to approach in the most "hands off" way. I don't want my personal opinion to affect anything. And while I am attempting to disprove the Bible---I'm trying to do it a way where FACTS disprove the Bible. Not opinion.

I'm want to go about this in the most honest way possible.

Any sources to help aid my reading would be great. Figure I'd drop by here because I want something that is 100% unbiased. Whether or not it makes sense...

For example: "God created the world in seven days" obviously means someone believes that. Basically I'm looking for "the author meant this..." types of explanations. So I present facts which disprove these passages.
RE: E-Text version of the Bible with UNBIASED explanations?
(June 11, 2012 at 4:21 pm)caschmid Wrote: Any sources to help aid my reading would be great. Figure I'd drop by here because I want something that is 100% unbiased. Whether or not it makes sense...

For example: "God created the world in seven days" obviously means someone believes that. Basically I'm looking for "the author meant this..." types of explanations. So I present facts which disprove these passages.

Those commentaries are called apologetics, and by their nature will be biased. your only other option is to get a lexicon and concordance and go line by line and translate everything for yourself..
I think it's going to be very difficult to find material on the bible that isn't the slightest bit biased either way. Perhaps you would be better off looking through the biased material of both sides.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(June 11, 2012 at 4:39 pm)Faith No More Wrote: I think it's going to be very difficult to find material on the bible that isn't the slightest bit biased either way. Perhaps you would be better off looking through the biased material of both sides.

One doesn't have to always drink from the same well. While it's way down on my list, I have a mix of resources. There's the annotated skeptic's bible on the web, the library at infidels.org, a new bible translation Ryft turned me onto, classic resources such as bible study programs and concordances, and on one side I have skeptical resources like Asimov's guide to the bible, and on the other more conservative sources like Father Brown's New Testament text and the revised Metzger. The bible is not something that can be mastered by one book or such, and canned apologetics from either side are likely less valuable than becoming truly knowledgeable.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Bart Ehram is quite unbiased. He used to be a Christian and studied theology, now is an agnostic as a result of his studies and has written numerous books on the Bible.
Quote:For example: "God created the world in seven days" obviously means someone believes that.

There are 33,000+ variants of the xtian cult. Each one thinks their variant is the right one. Wading through that swamp will take high boots.

The divine Tiberius makes a good point about Bart Ehrman but Ehrman is strictly a new testament scholar.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which version of xtianity is most likely to be correct? FrustratedFool 20 1159 December 8, 2023 at 10:21 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44143 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  which version of christianity is correct? Drich 86 8955 March 30, 2020 at 3:34 am
Last Post: Dundee
  New Revised Standard Version Bible has Dead Sea Scroll input ?!?! vorlon13 17 3883 February 20, 2017 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheist version of Pascal's wager Nihilist Virus 57 10619 February 4, 2016 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: RobbyPants
  What's the Difference Between a Translation and a Version Rhondazvous 19 11737 May 13, 2015 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  New Version of the Bible daver49 23 3362 March 22, 2015 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: daver49
  Illinois bible colleges: "We shouldn't have to follow state standards because bible!" Esquilax 34 7451 January 23, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Which Version Of Christianity Is The Correct One? Confused Ape 57 11089 May 27, 2014 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Digital Version of Greek Xtian Writings Minimalist 2 1403 September 18, 2013 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Minimalist