Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the Difference Between a Translation and a Version
What's the Difference Between a Translation and a Version
This question could pertain to any of the Abrahamic religions.

When my uncle was proselytizing me for Islam, he told me there are no versions of the Quran.  Only the corrupted Bible has versions but the Quran is identical to the exact words spoken by the prophet Muhammad (may blessings be upon him). He encouraged me to read the Quran for myself. So I ordered a copy. Immediately, my uncle asked me which translation I'd bought. When I told him, he groaned. "You bought the wrong one. You should have asked me . I would have told you to get the other one." Upon my query, he launched into a convoluted explanation of the difference between a version and a translation.  I found this to be as unconvincing as Christian apologetics.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: What's the Difference Between a Translation and a Version
I dunno!

What I do know is that there are no originals of the bible or the Quran, so everything is a "version" now, at best.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
In regular books a version is edited while a translation is merely typing the exact same words in another language.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

I guess his claim is that for the Quran there is a unique source text in Arabic on which everyone agrees that it is the original (I don't know whether that can be realistically true, but that's what I would think he means), and so every translation into a different language is from the exact same source.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

The following comments are general comments about translations and versions of things, not about the Quran in particular.  There is sometimes a difference between a version and a translation, but "version" is a more generic term, so, in some instances, there may be no difference at all.  Sometimes, things are paraphrased, and that may be considered to be a version without being considered to strictly be a translation.  Even that distinction is imprecise, as a translation is always using other words for something, as otherwise it would be the original and not a translation of anything.  Usually, though, a paraphrase is less exact in following the original than a translation.

For an example of a paraphrase:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Living_Bible

Also, "version" can have a different meaning still, in that the Catholic Bible and the typical protestant Bibles are different versions of the Bible, in that they do not contain the same books, and there are some differences within some of the books that are in common.  For more on this, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible#Versi..._the_Bible

It is possible that your uncle had in mind this sense of the word "version," though that does not explain his problem with a specific translation that you selected of the Quran.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(May 12, 2015 at 10:43 am)Pyrrho Wrote: The following comments are general comments about translations and versions of things, not about the Quran in particular.  There is sometimes a difference between a version and a translation, but "version" is a more generic term, so, in some instances, there may be no difference at all.  Sometimes, things are paraphrased, and that may be considered to be a version without being considered to strictly be a translation.  Even that distinction is imprecise, as a translation is always using other words for something, as otherwise it would be the original and not a translation of anything.  Usually, though, a paraphrase is less exact in following the original than a translation.

For an example of a paraphrase:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Living_Bible

Also, "version" can have a different meaning still, in that the Catholic Bible and the typical protestant Bibles are different versions of the Bible, in that they do not contain the same books, and there are some differences within some of the books that are in common.  For more on this, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible#Versi..._the_Bible

It is possible that your uncle had in mind this sense of the word "version," though that does not explain his problem with a specific translation that you selected of the Quran.

Each version and translation is unique.  The Catholic Bibles may contain the same books as each other but their translations are different.  Likewise the Protestant Bibles may contain the same books but their translations are completely different from each other.  The main thing is the basic ideas are the same in all of them.  
(May 12, 2015 at 6:07 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:
(May 12, 2015 at 10:43 am)Pyrrho Wrote: Each version and translation is unique.  The Catholic Bibles may contain the same books as each other but their translations are different.  Likewise the Protestant Bibles may contain the same books but their translations are completely different from each other.  The main thing is the basic ideas are the same in all of them.  

Even a small change can drastically change the "basic idea.  Take the omission of a comma.

Paint the care red.
as opposed to
Paint the car, Red.

The differences in the various versions of the Bible do not all have the same idea. The protestant Bible doesn't have the Apocrypha, while the Catholic Bible does.

And that's just in the same language. Imagine the havoc one small change can make when translating between languages.  And we're not just talking different languages, Hebrew and English are in entirely different  linguistic families.

My uncle told me that the translation he wanted me to read was clearer.  Isn't that what a version does? I don't think it's possible to have a pure verbatim translation without doing some editing, deciding which words to use. Words that may have the same denotation may have quite divergent connotations.  Can a translator make such choices without reference to his personal beliefs or those of his denomination?  I doubt it very seriously.  
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
If God wants to communicate with people, surely he is capable of doing it directly into their brain so that each individual cannot possibly misinterpret the meaning?

If he can't do that, and these Yellow Pages of Chinese whispers is really the best he can do, he's more of a "I'm gonna die on this island soon so I'll send out a message in a bottle" kind of God.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
Your uncle has been sold a bill of goods.

http://www.muslimhope.com/QuranVariants.htm

Quote:Two common misconceptions taught by some is that one proof of the Qur’an being from Allah is that there are no manuscript variations, and the Qur’an today is identical to the Qur’an just after Mohammed.

However, a manuscript was discovered in Samarkand, and over 15,000 pages of old Koran text were discovered in Yemen. According to an article by in the Jan. 1999 Atlantic Monthly (p.43-56)
"Some of the parchment pages in the Yemeni hoard seemed to date back to the seventh and eighth centuries A.D., or Islam's first two centuries -- they were fragments, in other words, of perhaps the oldest Korans in existence. What's more, some of these fragments revealed small but intriguing aberrations from the standard Koranic text. Such aberrations, though not surprising to textual historians, are troublingly at odds with the orthodox Muslim belief that the Koran as it has reached us today is quite simply the perfect, timeless, and unchanging Word of God."
The point of this paper is not to try to say which variants are correct; it is simply to show that variants exist, and these cannot be swept under the rug.

I'm sure he was a willing purchaser.
The rug is touching the ceiling.

Index of my best videos

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which version of xtianity is most likely to be correct? FrustratedFool 20 1101 December 8, 2023 at 10:21 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  which version of christianity is correct? Drich 86 8838 March 30, 2020 at 3:34 am
Last Post: Dundee
  The connection between Christianity and Capitalism Cecelia 43 4517 August 22, 2018 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  There is a difference between salvation, and the rewards of Heaven Drich 45 13614 July 31, 2017 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Drich
  New Revised Standard Version Bible has Dead Sea Scroll input ?!?! vorlon13 17 3808 February 20, 2017 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Similarities Between the Christian God and Abusive Spouses Jesster 18 3173 September 4, 2016 at 11:29 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Atheist version of Pascal's wager Nihilist Virus 57 10472 February 4, 2016 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Need bible translation brewer 31 4950 July 1, 2015 at 2:55 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  New Version of the Bible daver49 23 3340 March 22, 2015 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: daver49
  Which Version Of Christianity Is The Correct One? Confused Ape 57 10984 May 27, 2014 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd