Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Young people doubting exitence of God
Young people doubting exitence of God
Check out this link
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread851044/pg1

big difference in the last 5 years

Manowar
RE: Young people doubting exitence of God
The internet has freed them from the tyranny of their parents.
Children are just in that stage of their lives where they realise their religious parents are colossal dicks.
That, too.
good, now they need to make sure that all of the home schooled children get "mandatory" exposure and be taught how to think for themselves and we can increase that %age
(June 17, 2012 at 11:27 pm)sindyann26 Wrote: good, now they need to make sure that all of the home schooled children get "mandatory" exposure and be taught how to think for themselves and we can increase that %age

I was entirely homeschooled elementary to high school. In my experience, I was taught to think for myself despite also being taught creationism and other bunk. But each homeschooler's environment and experience is different. Many homeschoolers are very sheltered from world because they don't have TV, or the internet (at least not without restrictive access). This isn't true in all cases though. I even remember coming across a very liberal homeschool family once (now I suspect even atheistic). Though undoubtedly the average homeschooler is of a fundamentalist Christian family.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
Good thing about the interwebs is that you can teach yourself anything. I think it's definitely making an impact. Now instead of having just one explanation (god did it) you can do some research for yourself and find other explanations that go far deeper. Explanations that actually explain how and why things are the way they are instead of just sticking to 'godiddit'. The next generation is definitely becoming less interested in religion and far more interested in science. You can also read up and watch documentaries like Stephen Hawking, Lawrence Crauss. In which both explain in detail the science of the cosmos.

I bet churches all over are panicking. Over here only 1 in 10 Brits go to church. A considerably huge number of people here are atheists and those who aren't couldn't give a fuck about religion. Give it a few more years and the church will be crying.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(June 18, 2012 at 3:46 am)Ace Otana Wrote: I bet churches all over are panicking. Over here only 1 in 10 Brits go to church. A considerably huge number of people here are atheists and those who aren't couldn't give a fuck about religion. Give it a few more years and the church will be crying.

It is, it is trying to complete with an increasing understanding of science and new views as the UK (as well as the rest of Europe) as found ok religion is getting us know were and we has are fun, time to grow up were as in the USA is almost growing down. I have an Idea, why don't all the US Atheist come to Europe and lets see how fast USA falls with President Larry the cable guy.
The UK I think is getting to a point were people will want to get rid of religion in are government and even go as far a dethroning the Queen (I have no problem with her its just the position she holds)
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
Churches are full of stodgy, uptight, do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do hypocritical cocksuckers and kids today have no patience for them or their bullshit.
(June 19, 2012 at 1:21 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Churches are full of stodgy, uptight, do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do hypocritical cocksuckers and kids today have no patience for them or their bullshit.

That and Xbox (or PS3) is more fun then boring Religious sermons.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Young more likely to pray than over-55s - survey zebo-the-fat 16 1496 September 28, 2021 at 5:44 am
Last Post: GUBU
  How and why can people ignore their God’s immoral ways? Greatest I am 129 18791 November 27, 2017 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Cod
  People assuming you believe in a God Der/die AtheistIn 35 10110 July 19, 2017 at 10:24 am
Last Post: Astonished
  What Will God do about People with Multiple Personality Disorder? Rhondazvous 43 6483 January 1, 2017 at 7:14 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Do people hate the actual belief in God, or just the religious organizations? goombah111 101 25211 November 14, 2016 at 4:19 am
Last Post: goombah111
  Why do religious people always refer to God for answers. Prince 12 3649 June 1, 2015 at 5:05 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  Is God really real or are people simply deluded? RobertE 117 18060 March 14, 2015 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Defending Young-Earth Creationism Scientifically JonDarbyXIII 42 10554 January 14, 2015 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Should people marry? It seems that God would forbid it. Greatest I am 11 2666 December 22, 2014 at 5:58 am
Last Post: robvalue
  To The Religious People...Can God See Sin? Nope 30 7087 December 3, 2014 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: Chad32