Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To The Religious People...Can God See Sin?
To The Religious People...Can God See Sin?
When I was a Christian, several people told me that god could not see sin because he could not be in its presence. Because I was trying to make sense of religion, their statements used to drive me whacky.

One pastor told me that it became dark when Jesus died so that god wouldn't see him take on the literal sins of human beings. I guess that means that I can have orgies and still make it to heaven if I turn off the lights,

At a church party for my nephew, the magician(who made certain to tell us he was an illusionists because magic is a sin) told the kids that once you are a Christian, god can literally not see your sins.

I have spoken to Christians online who assured me that I must have heard incorrectly because no one believes that an all seeing god has such a limit. No matter what they think, I have had Christians tell me that god does not have the ability to be everywhere or see everything because he can't be in the presence of sin. Have any of you heard this? If you are a Christian, do you believe that your god has a limit?
RE: To The Religious People...Can God See Sin?
God would have to be omnipresent to prevent blasphemers from ever getting into heaven.

There is no way around that, and to suggest otherwise, as apparently your former pastor has, is blasphemy.
They make sin out to be some evil force, but all it is is things Yahweh doesn't like. If he refuses to let it be in his presence, it's more like he's a petulant child that can't handle being around things that aren't about him, so he throws a destructive fit. I'm not sure how it's possible for Jesus to take on the burden of sin, because sin isn't really a thing. It's a concept, I suppose, but does that mean Jesus has PTSD now?

Then we get into the idea of him being omnipresent. He's supposed to be everywhere, so sin is in his presence all the time.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Christians have told me that god can't be in hell because of the presence of sin. The more you take Christianity's beliefs apart, the more weird the religion becomes. If god can't be in hell then he is obviously not omnipresent like Christians claim.
Nope has brought to our attention something pretty amazing, a corollary to Poe's Law:

There is no scripture, teaching, commandment, edict, decree, or requirement, no matter how clearly concise or plainly obvious in meaning in the Bible that some stupid fucktard christer somewhere hasn't misinterpreted it.
It's all a complete load of nonsense garbage. Even if there is some guy who made what we think of as our universe, there's no reason to think he is omni-anything. And since God is always defined to be untestable, you can't possibly know anything about him anyway. Or if he's even alive any more.

Anything that is untestable is indistinguishable from nothing.

But yeah, it's so easy to poke holes in the omni-bollocks, but religious minds have become experts at ad-hoc rationalisations and can hold contradictory beliefs at the same time no problem.

It's just like Santa except they refuse to grow out of it. A mixture of shackles and a comfort blanket. An inability to accept reality as it is and their insignificant part in it.

Not only are there thousands of sects with contradictory beliefs, each individual within a sect is going to have different beliefs from others in that sect.

If they can't even get their shit together and agree what it's all meant to be about, how can they expect to convince us?

"Jesus saved me"
"Who is that?"
"God"
"He saved you from what?"
"Hell"
"What's that?"
"A place where sinners go"
"Who made it?"
"God"
"Who sends them there?"
"God"
"Okay bye now"
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
The entire concept is absolutely absurd. There is no way around it. Irrational delusion.
Imagine two children discussing Santa.

Year 1

He is real!
Is not!
He is! Where else do our presents come from?
I don't know.
See? He is real!

Year 2

My friend saw his dad put the presents under the tree!
He was just helping Santa!
Was not!
Well where did everyone else's presents come from?
I don't know.
See!

Year 3

All my friends saw their dads putting presents under the tree!
Well, Santa gives them the presents to put under the tree!
Does not!
How else could they get them?
I don't know.
See!

Year 4

I saw my dad get the presents from a shop! And so did all my friends!
Well, Santa puts the presents in the shop!

Year 5

I found out the toys in the shops come from factories!
Well, Santa has elves working in the factories!

Year 6

I went in a factory, there's no elves, just people!
Well, santa sends the bits they need into the factories!

Year 7

I asked the people in the factory where he bits come from, and they say from another big company which makes them!
Which Santa runs!
Fuck off you little shit, I've had enough of you.

Ad-hoc rationalizations and reality denial at work, people.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(December 2, 2014 at 10:03 am)Nope Wrote: When I was a Christian, several people told me that god could not see sin because he could not be in its presence. Because I was trying to make sense of religion, their statements used to drive me whacky.

Why didn't you search the scriptures for the answers. I ask about things also however, I also check out what I'm told unless the answer I'm given makes sense of the question without contradiction.

Quote:One pastor told me that it became dark when Jesus died so that god wouldn't see him take on the literal sins of human beings. I guess that means that I can have orgies and still make it to heaven if I turn off the lights,

Have your orgy God will still know, omniscience takes care of that, the scriptures never state that it became dark to hide the sin from God the Father. You should have taken into account the trinity includes Jesus and the Holy Spirit and we know they are in the presence of sin, it's God the Father who refuses to be in the presence of sin. This is all easily gleaned from the scriptures, if you had studied scriptures, as you've said, why did you not recognize these things.

Quote:At a church party for my nephew, the magician(who made certain to tell us he was an illusionists because magic is a sin) told the kids that once you are a Christian, god can literally not see your sins.

He took that from the fact that Christian sins are covered by the blood of Christ and this has to do with judgment, not in the present time. If you have studied the NT you should have known this and that God knows our sin and punishment can also come in this life, for all.

Quote:I have spoken to Christians online who assured me that I must have heard incorrectly because no one believes that an all seeing god has such a limit.

God is not limited by anything other than what He chooses, they are correct.

Quote:No matter what they think, I have had Christians tell me that god does not have the ability to be everywhere or see everything because he can't be in the presence of sin.

These people have misunderstood the scriptures because they do not study, they to often assume and repeat their assumption as fact. If and when a Christian assumes a thing they should say so, I do with my idea of hell, I've never stated I'm correct and have said I may not be, this is the way Christians should treat their assumptions.

Quote:Have any of you heard this? If you are a Christian, do you believe that your god has a limit?

I've heard many things from Christians that are not supported by scripture, I've heard more from unbelievers because all they want to do is cause controversy and for the same reason they refuse to study that which they try to disprove and, there's no logic in that at all, agree?
God is limited by who He is, being truly holy and righteous He can't sin, lie and ect. Again because God is omniscient He knows when someone sins without being present. Being omnipresent means God can be in all places or in any place He wants to without being in the presence and only God the Father can't be in the presence of sin as I said earlier in this post, Jesus was in the presence of sin nearly ever day He was on earth and, the Holy Spirit lives inside every Christian and is exposed to sin every day. Jesus said that the Holy Spirit knows the mind of Father, this being so then the Father can know our sin without being in it's presence.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
That sounds like one of the most fucked up and overly-convoluted walkie-talkie treehouse communication schemes I've heard, GC. Why doesn't God the Father just man up and look at sin himself without having his Alpha-2 Holy Spirit communicate the "sins" to him via GodNet™?

Another quick thing I noted..
Quote:I also check out what I'm told unless the answer I'm given makes sense of the question without contradiction
That somehow doesn't surprise me at all.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things religious people say Foxaèr 1053 68903 March 23, 2024 at 11:17 am
Last Post: no one
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 10896 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  "Hate the sin, not the sinner" is such a logical fallacy Woah0 7 943 September 7, 2022 at 4:24 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Can you be a "Non religious muslim"? Woah0 31 1729 August 22, 2022 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why people remain in cultlike religious communities Won2blv 6 646 April 1, 2022 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  If god can't lie, does that mean he can't do everything? Foxaèr 184 10613 September 10, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  How the religious can enjoy Atheism. onlinebiker 10 820 August 30, 2021 at 8:57 am
Last Post: brewer
  If artificial super intelligence erases humans, will theists see this as God's plan? Face2face 24 5141 March 5, 2021 at 6:40 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Religious culture is the problem, not religion. Since Atheist culture can be good or Snideon 17 1813 July 17, 2020 at 5:55 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  We can only see 4% of the universe ! WinterHold 25 2772 January 30, 2019 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Brian37