Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Facebook Friends.
Facebook Friends.
Well, yesterday was my 21st birthday.

Not a lot went on, it was a Wednesday, and I work 6am to 6pm, 6 days a week, so I don't go out much, and I never did like it that much.

Anyway, I deleted my facebook around march 2012.

For my 20th birthday, I had hundreds of wall posts, messages , phone calls and emails telling me happy birthday from friends/relatives/random people.

This year. I had 4 text messages, and 3 phone calls. One text from my brother, a text from my girlfriends mom, dad and brother.

And 3 calls from my 3 aunts.

I had supper with my mom, dad, girlfriend and grandpaw.

I'm not trying to rant, or make a big deal out of this, but it went from hundreds of people, to a mere single digit...

People suck.
Make America Great Again! Trump 2020
RE: Facebook Friends.
Happy belated birthday. Big Grin

I can sympathize - I don't think I've received so much as a phone call on my birthday from my father in over 20 years, and nearly as long from my siblings. I try to not let it bother me anymore, sometimes successfully.

P.S. Facebook. I am not a fan.
It was my 21st last month also. I deleted my Facebook at the end of last year, and my mobile's sim expired at the start of this year - I encountered similar circumstances to you. Then again, I've been largely socially isolated (mostly by choice) for about two years. Obviously not completely because I'm on a forum! I wouldn't worry too much. The quality of the people around matters more than the number of them. Bizarrely, I don't feel that bad being alone. Though I guess I'll eventually seek friends again, probably through a book club, sceptics meetup, or something like that.
My birthday was earlier this month. Had some birthday wishes on my fb wall, a text from my brother, and a belated fb chat with my mother. In real life, my husband baked me a chocolate cake decorated with strawberries. I work nights and got home at 3 am. The cake was on the counter along with a lovely card with some heart felt lines handwritten in it and a sterling silver heart decorated with opals. Later, he made me blueberry muffins. That afternoon we went to a movie and out to eat at my favorite restaurant. Fb serves a purpose, but nothing beats real life. Tiger
Religion is not the answer-it is the problem. Everything considered, we would be better off without it.~Baubles of Blasphemy~Edwin F. Kagin

"Much better to have the ability to think critically, than the ability to quote scripture. One says you have a functioning mind. The other says you're a parrot." -- The Secular Buddhist
Belated happy birthday wishes, LPW.

I find I expand my circle of acquaintances in areas of interest through fb. Occasionally I'll hear about some humorous internet goodies or coordinate get togethers with my brother and his family through fb. That's about it.

I'm very ambivalent about fb sampling and recording my interactions. Twice I've had little advertisements on my wall telling me my wife likes Target. She has no idea how they got that idea. If it mattered more we'd want to sue them.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

And don't feel sad. I haven't had a proper birthday in 4 years. : D
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
To be fair, facebook gives a reminder to everyone that it is your birthday, thus giving people who would like to wish you a happy birthday, but are not obligated to remember the date, a chance to do so. Most of those people probably have no way of getting in touch with you now that you do not have a facebook page. In short, quit your bitching. You're not baby Jesus. Tongue

Happy birthday! This is a big stepping stone one. It's the birthday when getting drunk becomes meh.
Quote:You're not baby Jesus.

Neither was baby jesus.
Party Time happy 21st Birthday LPW!
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Things your family/friends have done you wish. Brian37 5 499 October 19, 2021 at 5:56 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  As Seen on Facebook . . . Shell B 289 26545 August 10, 2021 at 10:19 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What is Facebook and do you find it valuable Rhizomorph13 22 1240 July 29, 2020 at 5:40 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Can you filthy foreigners please invite your friends? Losty 43 2943 May 1, 2019 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Hanging out at a friends house last night. Brian37 45 4765 November 26, 2018 at 9:44 am
Last Post: Cod
  Do you have friends who don’t share your political views? Losty 13 1771 November 19, 2018 at 12:00 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Let's heathenize facebook Foxaèr 8 1025 March 21, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Keep Your Friends Close and Your Enemies Closer? Why Would I Keep My Enemies Close? Rhondazvous 26 3458 January 8, 2018 at 9:05 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  Minds, Facebook alternative Foxaèr 0 621 July 28, 2017 at 9:34 am
  Uh-oh, maybe Facebook is finally gone Foxaèr 7 1551 June 16, 2017 at 10:02 am