Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 9:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Do atheists need some faith?
Do atheists need some faith?
Hello everyone. I have a question that I've been very curious about for awhile, and I'm opened minded to being persuaded one way or the other.

I'm sure you've all heard that it takes more faith to be an atheist than a theist, well I'm unsure if that is actually true.

So here is my question, well, there is actually two questions:

It seems that many atheists are atheists not because of evidence against theism but because of a lack of evidence for theism. Is this true?

If so, isn't there a little faith involved that there really isn't any evidence for theism that may have been overlooked or yet to be discovered?

Thanks in advance.
RE: Do atheists need some faith?
Moshi moshi.

I'm an atheist because I like the taste of barbecued baby ribs.
Cunt
(July 18, 2012 at 5:26 pm)nazra7 Wrote: I'm sure you've all heard that it takes more faith to be an atheist than a theist, well I'm unsure if that is actually true.

It most certainly is not true.

Quote:So here is my question, well, there is actually two questions:

It seems that many atheists are atheists not because of evidence against theism but because of a lack of evidence for theism. Is this true?

If so, isn't there a little faith involved that there really isn't any evidence for theism that may have been overlooked or yet to be discovered?

Thanks in advance.

There may be evidence uncovered for a tea pot orbiting jupiter, but until we find it do you believe it?

I'm guessing no.

Now apply that same logic to your god.

Wow, mind blowing.
When it comes to an unspecified god, yes, many atheists site a lack of evidence as the reason for not believing. The theist gods, however, are rejected for many reasons, i.e. lack of verification for holy texts, the condradictory nature of their deities, etc.

If by faith in the idea that there really isn't evidence to be discovered you mean that it is a belief, I would say yes, but some might disagree with me. It is a belief based on such things as the aspects of life attributed to god in the past are either found to have natural explanations or are unanswered. Faith, as defined in the religious context which is belief despite any evidence but a personal conviction, however, is not needed.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Quote:There may be evidence uncovered for a tea pot orbiting jupiter, but until we find it do you believe it?

Thank you for the reply. I am very familiar with this concept and it is understandable that one would be reluctant to believe due to a lack of evidence.

But what confuses me is that, while I choose not to believe in this teapot, I also have some faith that there is probably no evidence ever to be discovered for it.

Do atheists also have faith that there is probably no evidence awaiting discovery for theism?
(July 18, 2012 at 5:34 pm)nazra7 Wrote: Do atheists also have faith that there is probably no evidence awaiting discovery for theism?

How would one gather evidence of a being that is apparently outside of space and time?
Cunt
I'm an atheist, because I do not beleive the claim that a god exists. I do not believe that claim, because there is no reason, that I am aware of, to believe it. It's really that simple.

I have faith in things that have repeatedly been shown to be true... like... that the sun will set this evening, etc. I do not have faith that something is true without that sort of supporting reason.

If you, unlike those that have come before you, can provide a convincing reason to believe your god is real, it's possible that I may be swayed... but it will have to be pretty damned convincing.
(July 18, 2012 at 5:34 pm)nazra7 Wrote: But what confuses me is that, while I choose not to believe in this teapot, I also have some faith that there is probably no evidence ever to be discovered for it.

Do atheists also have faith that there is probably no evidence awaiting discovery for theism?

That's not what faith is.

You can be open to the possibility of that which is unproven without actually believing it.
(July 18, 2012 at 5:26 pm)nazra7 Wrote: Hello everyone. I have a question that I've been very curious about for awhile, and I'm opened minded to being persuaded one way or the other.

If that's true, then you're on the right track.

Quote:I'm sure you've all heard that it takes more faith to be an atheist than a theist, well I'm unsure if that is actually true.

Sounds like a great sales pitch... if what you're peddling is unfounded nonsense.

Quote:So here is my question, well, there is actually two questions:

I am an atheist because of the evidence against theism, as well as the lack of evidence for it. Why are you not a Hindu? Because of evidence against it, or lack of evidence for it?

Quote:If so, isn't there a little faith involved that there really isn't any evidence for theism that may have been overlooked or yet to be discovered?

No. I don't have faith that evidence for theism might've been overlooked. That's insanity. With all of the desperate religious nuts out there, if there was evidence, I assure you it wouldn't be overlooked. If there were evidence, there would be no need for faith.

If evidence is discovered, it will probably be another hoax, so forgive me for having no faith whatsoever in anything having to do with theism.

(July 18, 2012 at 5:26 pm)nazra7 Wrote: If so, isn't there a little faith involved that there really isn't any evidence for theism that may have been overlooked or yet to be discovered?

If Theism rests on an argument that is yet to be discovered, then I would say, God doesn't really care to be known by humans if he exists.

Theists insist God wants to be known, so it's problematic. Also, if Theism rests on a proof to be discovered, then belief in it will be cold type reliance like belief in a mathematical proof after seeing the proof.

Also, science maybe able to prove a Designer, rationally it's possible that it does, but it will never be able to prove that Designer is good, unique, great, loving, etc...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good Faith Media: Global Christian Population to reach 3.3 BN by 2050. Nishant Xavier 270 13088 September 30, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1465 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Does some people need God? purplepurpose 29 3102 January 17, 2021 at 9:25 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Question about "faith" rockyrockford 428 34955 December 22, 2020 at 9:50 am
Last Post: Apollo
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2861 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Are some theists afraid of atheists? Der/die AtheistIn 146 48631 June 21, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2206 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why Science and religious faith are in conflict. Jehanne 28 7830 May 1, 2017 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  My atheism religious faith is being shaken... Won2blv 37 8806 November 14, 2016 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Thoughts On Atheism and Faith ray3400 107 12669 October 12, 2016 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: henryp