Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is the Surah challenge not met?
Why is the Surah challenge not met?
Why is that no one has wrote a Surah similar to Quran's Surahs?

Is there other writtings people know with a unique style that no one is able to imitate?

Or is the Quran a unique case?
RE: Why is the Surah challenge not met?
Quote:Why is that no one has wrote a Surah similar to Quran's Surahs?

They almost certainly have. Perhaps ask an expert in Islamic poetry,literature and philosophy.

Quote:A sura (also spelled surah, surat; Arabic: سورة‎ sūrah) (pl. Arabic: سور‎ suwar) is a division of the Quran, although it can be approximately referred to as a chapter. The term chapter is sometimes avoided, as the suras are of unequal length; the shortest sura (Al-Kawthar) has only three ayat (verses) while the longest (Al-Baqara) contains 286 ayat. Of the 114 suras in the Quran, 86 are classified as Meccan while 28 are Medinan - this classification is only approximate as regards location of revelation - in fact, any sura revealed post-Hijrah is termed Medinan and any revealed before that event is termed as Meccan. The Meccan suras generally deal with faith and scenes of the Hereafter, while the Medinan suras are more concerned with organizing the social life of the (then) nascent Muslim community.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sura
(July 23, 2012 at 5:37 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Why is that no one has wrote a Surah similar to Quran's Surahs?

Is there other writtings people know with a unique style that no one is able to imitate?

Or is the Quran a unique case?

You have yet to give a reason why any human should endeavor to write a Surah, let alone contradict the illiterate ramblings of a power hungry desert dweller.

I have been to zoos where other primates thought it best to throw shit. Will you denigrate me, as another primate, simply because I chose not to throw shit back?
The Muslims believe that no man is able to rewrite a sura from memory because only Allah can or some shit. That's the point OP is making. Only two verses and no one can replicate it? Hell, if that's true then praise Allah and where's my 72 virgins?...

I've answered this once before, so I'm not going to repeat my prior response, even to answer prior concerns. (Mystic Knight asked essentially the same question last year.)

Answering the "sura challenge" is akin to trying to get a Creotard to see reason. The Muslims who make this challenge can be depended upon to engage in all sorts of special pleading, goal post moving, and all sorts of other illicit moves in order to avoid ponying up the prize. Here's a simpler response. Does the Quran use reasonably proper Arabic? Yes it does. Therefore it is possible, no matter how improbable you want to believe it to be, that a mortal wrote it, completely devoid of divine guidance. Therefore, its inimitability proves absolutely nothing. Now if you point this out to a devout "inimitable surah" peddling Muslim, they'll simply ignore you, or start talking about "too improbable" (at this point, grab your hat and run, as they've begun to appeal to pseudoscience). It's a forgone conclusion, just as a Creationist isn't going to write up his results plainly stating his Creationist beliefs were wrong, the "inimitable sura" Muslim will never admit to defeat. Because the Muslim believes the Quran possesses these supernatural properties, not only in the absence of evidence, but in Dawkins' phrase, even in the teeth of contrary evidence. Their position isn't based on reason or evidence, and they therefore can't be argued out of it on the basis of reason and evidence. (See for example, other claims about the Quran's miraculous properties with respect to scientific accuracy and prophecy. Same shit, different day.)

(ETA: Challenge the Muslim to demonstrate that Muhammed himself couldn't write a sura like it, without the divine guidance. Or, ask them to prove that all the suras were written with heavenly assistance(*). See what they say. Pick a specific, dull sura and ask them to show why that sura is special.)

(*) This point shows some circularity. Assume the suras were written by divine guidance, therefore any other sura could not resemble those suras, therefore they are inimitable, thus proving they were divinely inspired.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I am not asking whether it's divine or not. As it has logical problems and contradictions, to me it's been proven to not be divine.

I am asking in light of this, why is Quran's Surahs unique till this date and if there exists other writings that are unique.
What is unique about them Mystic? Would you mind dashing off a novel in the style of James Joyce for me? Okay, okay, maybe that's reaching for a first attempt. Do you think that you might be able to write me a series of children's books in the style of Dr. Suess?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I dont not like islam and ham.
I do not not like it my imam.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

the one thing that I kept asking myself since childhood is "why is this challenge relevant"? I've had arabic poetry classes, some are much more artistic & deeper than the Quran, so I just ignored my doubts until I started to question Islam when I became a teenager.

& to answer your question, that challenge is irrelevant because there is no neutral judge, Muslims challenge you & they consider themselves the judge, so no matter how good a poet you are, their Islam goggles will decide that you failed.
Is it really necessary to attempt to create a surah? what for?

Ok they claimed that quran is so poetic, so beautiful and so unique.

As a non Arabic speaking person I personally thought the sound of the Quran can be annoying and boring. There is nothing beautiful about it. There are too many repetition. My people found it boring when they keep listening to it. I tell you a true story: Once in a mosque, during a Ramadhan night prayer sermon, a respected preacher using a local dialect (in Javanese) making a pun of chapter Al Fatihah, trying to keep the audience entertained. He recites some parts of Al Fatihah with a Javanese language which means totally different compared to the original Al Fatihah, and the audience laughed so hard at it.

The original Al Fatihah's last ayah says: ........, ghairil maghduubi 'alaihim.....and so forth) THe preacher was joking in Javanese and saying: "nGgawa rel mak gedebug" .... which literally means '(people) carrying railways (and it fell and sounds like) "gedebug" (javanese word for a sound effect of things falling down, such as "crash!!")

THe javanese audience thought it was so funny and they laughed so hard at it.

So from this I just think that Quran is not really a miraculous piece of work that human would be hypnotised and stunned once they hear it. Not really. My radicalised mother, who was once a 'normal' Javanese person, asked my brother to stop the holy quran audio cassette that he plays over and over. She found it to be annoying and really bothered her. I agreed with her.

So, why would we want to create another surah that would annoy people (at least my people I mentioned above) ?

Ok, Mohamed's people might be stunned and enchanted by the sound of it. But surely not my people. They can hardly understand the meaning most of the quran completely.

Also, the ancient Javanese Islamic scholars/proselytizers ironically used Hindi musical instruments to attract audience, instead of using the sound of the Quran. The instrument is still playing now every year in commemorating mohammed's birthday, in the Sultan Palace of my hometown. So, for my people, Hindi musical instrument is more beautiful than the sound of the quran. Believe me, hundreds of thousands of people come to listen to this musical instrument ceremony every year in the Sultan Palace area. Yet, only a few hundreds come to listen to prayers or quran recitals.. or actually nobody attend the prayers in the mosques, especially in the day time or in the dawn prayer time.. eventhough they play quran audio over and over, loud and clear. For real. A lot of people forced themselves to come to Friday prayers just because other people do it and just because they're embarrassed if they're not going to Friday prayers.

There is no need to create another wasteful surah. Let alone a surah that ask people to kill each other.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Why not a proof/Sign/indication" - challenge and various responses to it in Quran. Mystic 67 13618 November 20, 2017 at 3:58 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  A Surah like Suratal Kaffiroon? Mystic 11 2794 January 16, 2015 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  A Challenge to Every Muslim on Planet Earth Nintentacle 0 817 November 5, 2014 at 5:07 am
Last Post: Nintentacle
  Surah 9:5 lifesagift 17 2351 October 4, 2014 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: lifesagift
  Ex muslims challenge atheists to face Islam Richi1 5 3108 December 29, 2013 at 4:23 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Verse 4:59 - A challenge to Sunnism Mystic 24 5386 August 28, 2013 at 4:27 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  A challenge about women and marriage in Islam Muslim Scholar 320 164016 May 23, 2013 at 12:31 am
Last Post: Violet
  Bring a Surah like it (is it a sound argument) Mystic 18 6392 August 27, 2012 at 8:53 am
Last Post: apostopare
  sharia challenge to Australian women’s rights KichigaiNeko 5 2656 May 24, 2012 at 3:20 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  Re: The "Convert Me" Challenge: dr zakir naik mdbao 8 5797 July 30, 2010 at 9:30 am
Last Post: DeistPaladin