Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
End sex abuse cover ups by not donating money to the RCC
End sex abuse cover ups by not donating money to the RCC
End sex abuse cover ups by not donating money to the RCC.

Last night as I watched the news about what Pennsylvania State University is doing to clean up their record and prevent future child sex abuse at their university I thought of this. I thought of the dichotomy between how PSU is handling an abuse and cover up vs. how the RCC (Roman Catholic Church) is handling their own abuse and cover ups and I thought "How noble of PSU for going to great lengths to clean up, if only the RCC would be so noble." Then I thought of motivation and I thought better of their noble motives. The NCAA has come down hard on PSU http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jul/23/...e-20120724 PSU has also lost a lot of money in scholarships, fines, sponsors, etc. To sum it up, they're loosing a lot of money and a lot of ability to make money in the future. It's about money, not (much) about morals.

So then I thought of the RCC and what was behind their motives for cover ups and I say, it's about money. The RCC fears that sex abuse scandals will cause people to become disenchanted with the RCC. They will leave the church, stop donating, stop sponsoring things. That's when I thought "Well if that's what they fear, I say give them what they fear." Catholics all over the world should stop donating money to the RCC in protest of the RCC's abuse and cover ups. To make this work it must be organized.

The people who would be hurt the worst at first by this protest would be the people and organizations lowest down in the hierarchy. Admittedly those may also be charity organizations that actually do some good. To remedy this I say just donate the money that would ordinarily go to the church to secular organizations who do the same kind of work (feed the homeless, provide medical care etc.). Catholic schools will also hurt; donate the money to secular schools, scholarships, after school tutoring programs etc.

What do y'all think of this?

Has this already been thought of? Is there an organized group or should I start a FB campeign (or something like that) to push for this?
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

RE: End sex abuse cover ups by not donating money to the RCC
Quote:Admittedly those may also be charity organizations that actually do some good. To remedy this I say just donate the money that would ordinarily go to the church to secular organizations who do the same kind of work (feed the homeless, provide medical care etc.). Catholic schools will also hurt; donate the money to secular schools, scholarships, after school tutoring programs etc.

Um, that's not how it works. The church doesn't use "their" money. They always have their fucking hands out for some special collection or other to support these charities. In short, they use their members' money - doubtlessly after taking a cut for themselves - and try to grab the credit.

Fuck every last one of the pervert motherfuckers. They haven't seen a penny from me in over 40 years. As far as catholic "schools" go, the sooner those vestiges of medievalism are gone the better off everyone will be.
(July 25, 2012 at 12:01 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Admittedly those may also be charity organizations that actually do some good. To remedy this I say just donate the money that would ordinarily go to the church to secular organizations who do the same kind of work (feed the homeless, provide medical care etc.). Catholic schools will also hurt; donate the money to secular schools, scholarships, after school tutoring programs etc.

Um, that's not how it works. The church doesn't use "their" money. They always have their fucking hands out for some special collection or other to support these charities. In short, they use their members' money - doubtlessly after taking a cut for themselves - and try to grab the credit.

Fuck every last one of the pervert motherfuckers. They haven't seen a penny from me in over 40 years. As far as catholic "schools" go, the sooner those vestiges of medievalism are gone the better off everyone will be.

So it's more efficient to give directly to a charity that helps people than to funnel it through a faith based group that helps people. Yeah, I assume you're right about this. I am not as familiar with the RCC as I am with Protestant groups. Prods do this all the time, you think your funding X, but you're also funding Y because Y gets a cut of it. Still I think it would be great if Catholics took control of their own church and told it no. There are more Catholics out there then there are Catholic clergy. These people need to recognize their power. If they don't like something their church is doing they can do something about it.
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

It's probably been 50 years since I actually sat through that fucking drivel they call a "mass" but I still recall that there were two collections during it plus every so often they discovered they needed to fix the roof, or support the "missions" or pensions for retired perv...er priests, or building funds, etc. etc. etc. Oh, and the droning moron at the altar would never fail to point out the "poor box" at the back.

Meanwhile, the vatican fucks sit back like mafia dons and just watch the money roll in from the fools who fall for their particular holy protection racket.
all religous and sports programs promote rape I guess you get what you pay for
(July 25, 2012 at 12:58 pm)Minimalist Wrote: It's probably been 50 years since I actually sat through that fucking drivel they call a "mass" but I still recall that there were two collections during it plus every so often they discovered they needed to fix the roof, or support the "missions" or pensions for retired perv...er priests, or building funds, etc. etc. etc. Oh, and the droning moron at the altar would never fail to point out the "poor box" at the back.

Meanwhile, the vatican fucks sit back like mafia dons and just watch the money roll in from the fools who fall for their particular holy protection racket.

That's when they're being honest about it. I know in Prod. churches they can ask for donations for a charity but not mention that the church will take a cut. When Hurricane Katrina hit a few years ago a local church hit the streets to solicit donations for a charity to help the victims. They never told these people that the church was going to take a cut. That's just flat out dishonesty if you ask me.

Other charities are just a front to launder charitable donations. People think that their money is going to help people but instead as much money as possible lines the church's pockets or the pastor's pockets. Doesn't good ole Pat Robertson have a few of these charities or am I mixing up my asshole preachers? It's hard to keep them and their schenanagans straight.

I think that this plan needs to be told beyond the confines of an atheist forum for it to have any success.

Minimalist Wrote:As far as catholic "schools" go, the sooner those vestiges of medievalism are gone the better off everyone will be.
Do you really want to deprive the world of this sight, Min?
[Image: catholic-schoolgirls-schoolgirls-demotiv...955237.jpg]
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(July 25, 2012 at 12:58 pm)Minimalist Wrote: It's probably been 50 years since I actually sat through that fucking drivel they call a "mass" but I still recall that there were two collections during it

I was at a wedding a few years back and the ceremony included a mass (UGH!). As the ceremony concluded, the priest said something like, "Now remember! Today's mass doesn't count towards your weekly obligation. I expect to see everyone back here tomorrow." (I really had to stop myself from yelling, "You won't see me, asshole!")

This had me scratching my head. Why doesn't a mass at a wedding count? It's still a mass! Why do you have to return the VERY NEXT DAY? Then it hit me.... You can't pass the plate at a wedding! The fuckers want you to come back so they can get you to drop money in the basket!
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
Quote:Why doesn't a mass at a wedding count?

M-O-N-E-Y.
(July 25, 2012 at 11:36 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Why doesn't a mass at a wedding count?

M-O-N-E-Y.

Reminds me of a George Carlin routine where he said something like, "God is all powerful and can do absolutely ANYTHING! ....... But he needs your money!"
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trucker Protest - End all COVID Mandates Now HappySkeptic 44 1898 February 23, 2022 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  [Serious] Kuala Lumpur Islamic summit: did the night of the vassals began to end? WinterHold 16 1108 January 2, 2020 at 12:49 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  The End Of the Pathologization Of Intersex Amarok 1 464 July 7, 2019 at 4:00 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Trump Claims He Can Use Executive Order to End Birthright Citizenship Seraphina 43 3121 November 2, 2018 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: brewer
  How will the Trump Presidency end? (Poll) TheBeardedDude 55 14669 October 18, 2018 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Alan V
  Fools And Their Money! Minimalist 10 1126 May 18, 2018 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Republican advisor made a woman a sex slave Rev. Rye 67 8055 April 12, 2018 at 10:40 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  The Republicunts Go Off The Deep End Minimalist 5 1347 March 24, 2018 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Goddammit, We Paid Good Money For You Whores! Minimalist 13 934 September 23, 2017 at 7:22 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Trump May End DACA Program Seraphina 30 9078 September 8, 2017 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus