Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Women and Nature
Women and Nature
Quote:It has been proposed that "women are closer to Nature than men"

So, that women are the ones to lead the revival of a more "Eco-friendly" system of business and utilisation of resources globally.

Quite frankly I think it is a load of crock... as I firmly think that both males and females have so much to contribute to the global well being of this planet.

Your thoughts?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
RE: Women and Nature
Hi Kichi,

I'm of the impression that much of the 'women are closer to nature' sentiment is a superstitious outflow of paganaism; or more accurately, modern 'spiritualist' interpretations of pagan religions (mainly Wicca). How anyone can then draw a line to eco-firendly business requirements is beyond me!

I don't think there's any data to support such a belief but I think that if such data were captured, we'd see that there's no causal link between gender and 'propensity to commune with nature'.
Sum ergo sum
A woman's place is in the Kitchen. Occasional gardening may need to be done, that's the only time she should be let out, to pick out some weeds.

Who proposed this? On what basis was this proposed? Not much else I can think at the moment without you giving sources to that claim.
(August 1, 2012 at 9:09 am)Tiberius Wrote: Who proposed this? On what basis was this proposed? Not much else I can think at the moment without you giving sources to that claim.

This is part of an Essay question. Geosciences. Tiberius.

IF you have sources I would welcome them at this point as I am just looking into this question. Big Grin
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Using us to help you do your essay? This is outrageous Tongue
(August 1, 2012 at 9:08 am)Napoleon Wrote: A woman's place is in the Kitchen. Occasional gardening may need to be done, that's the only time she should be let out, to pick out some weeds.

No she wouldn't and you know it Nap!! Tongue

(August 1, 2012 at 9:07 am)Ben Davis Wrote: Hi Kichi,

I'm of the impression that much of the 'women are closer to nature' sentiment is a superstitious outflow of paganaism; or more accurately, modern 'spiritualist' interpretations of pagan religions (mainly Wicca). How anyone can then draw a line to eco-firendly business requirements is beyond me!

I don't think there's any data to support such a belief but I think that if such data were captured, we'd see that there's no causal link between gender and 'propensity to commune with nature'.

Thankyou Ben. That is my take on it as well. This whole goddess worship is lovely and fanciful but will not reap solid outcomes as to climate adaptation and ecconomic prosperity for our planet.
(August 1, 2012 at 9:11 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: This is part of an Essay question. Geosciences. Tiberius.

IF you have sources I would welcome them at this point as I am just looking into this question. Big Grin
Generally when an essay question says "It has been proposed" it means just that...that someone has at some point in time proposed it. I'm just asking who proposed it, because without looking at their argument for proposing it I can't really make any worthwhile comment.
(August 1, 2012 at 9:15 am)Tiberius Wrote:
(August 1, 2012 at 9:11 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: This is part of an Essay question. Geosciences. Tiberius.

Generally when an essay question says "It has been proposed" it means just that...that someone has at some point in time proposed it. I'm just asking who proposed it, because without looking at their argument for proposing it I can't really make any worthwhile comment.

Thanks Tiberius..I wasn't sure IF I read that right. Still looking into the whole question. The best minds I know are here on this forum and that is why I put it to you all. Big Grin

(August 1, 2012 at 9:11 am)Napoleon Wrote: Using us to help you do your essay? This is outrageous Tongue

But you WILL give me your thoughts on the topic Nap...that's why I Heart you
Here's a revealing essay on ecofeminism:

http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/bron/PDF--...lution.pdf

The essay lists several sources for further discovery.

What I got from this is that ecofeminism was first coined in the 1970s and calls for considering the 'oppression of nature' as another example of misdead foisted upon reality by the Western patriarchal system. The author, Hobgood-Oster, quotes from Ruther's book New Woman/New Earth:

Quote: Women must see that there can be no liberation for them and no solution to the ecological crisis within a society whose fundamental model of relationships continues to be one of domination. They must unite the demands of the women’s movement with those of the ecological movement to envision a radical reshaping of the basic socioeconomic relations and the underlying values of this [modern industrial] society.

Based on this limited research I agree that the idea is a croc.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Nature was able to understand what we need. RayOfLight 30 3507 October 14, 2017 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  In the future men will be able to carry children just like women rado84 110 11104 October 4, 2016 at 9:12 am
Last Post: mcolafson
  On the nature, reliability and abuses of memory. Whateverist 7 1238 August 29, 2016 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Sleep patterns. Nature or Nurture? ignoramus 19 1978 July 6, 2016 at 4:19 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Men are better than women in combat SmootherPebble 61 17060 September 11, 2015 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: thehedglin
  Nature: Does evolutionary theory need a rethink? Dolorian 10 4059 October 12, 2014 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Chas
  Precision in Nature: Evidence of God or Accidents? Alter2Ego 20 8221 August 13, 2013 at 9:48 am
Last Post: Something completely different
  The effect of increasing sexualization of women in the media Mystic 37 14531 June 10, 2013 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: Gilgamesh
  Raw Nature Zen Badger 12 5897 March 28, 2012 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  An Interesting Commentary on Gaslighting Women Shell B 26 10872 January 12, 2012 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: Shell B