Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thou Shalt not commit logical fallacies
Thou Shalt not commit logical fallacies
A useful website exolaining the different logical fallacies.
http://yourfallacyis.com/home
I have used it to learn more on what they mean.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: Thou Shalt not commit logical fallacies
Is it fallacious to make spelling mistakes? Wink
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(August 3, 2012 at 9:32 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: Is it fallacious to make spelling mistakes? Wink

give me a break, I am dyslexic
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain

Nice weather we're having..?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
anybody else want to comment, on the link I mean.
(August 3, 2012 at 9:37 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote:
(August 3, 2012 at 9:32 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: Is it fallacious to make spelling mistakes? Wink

give me a break, I am dyslexic

Why is that people who are dyslexic always manage to correctly spell "dyslexic?"
(August 7, 2012 at 1:35 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(August 3, 2012 at 9:37 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote: give me a break, I am dyslexic

Why is that people who are dyslexic always manage to correctly spell "dyslexic?"

I'm not dyslexic, but if you read stuff I write, you might come across something like "wierd vicissitude". I have a friend who can properly spell out words that I've never heard of, yet will misspell 'penuts'. It's wierd!
(August 7, 2012 at 1:35 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(August 3, 2012 at 9:37 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote: give me a break, I am dyslexic

Why is "phonetic" so difficult to spell ?

Regards

Grimesy
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

(August 7, 2012 at 1:16 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote: anybody else want to comment, on the link I mean.

I actually liked the site.

Quite good definitions, with good examples, of various fallacies. Good sense of humor.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(August 7, 2012 at 2:39 pm)Simon Moon Wrote:
(August 7, 2012 at 1:16 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote: anybody else want to comment, on the link I mean.

I actually liked the site.

Quite good definitions, with good examples, of various fallacies. Good sense of humor.

Thank you, somebody on topic. no more about dyslexia on this page please, save it for another.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Logical Disproofs of a Biblical Type God JohnJubinsky 28 2451 June 14, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Is God a logical contradiction? Tom Fearnley 561 39907 February 28, 2020 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  Most humans aren't too logical when it comes to world views and how to go about it. Mystic 28 3968 October 9, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Alan V
  To theists- A logical insight into Atheism ignoramus 65 11982 May 16, 2018 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  How are you going to commit to the war on Christmas? Fidel_Castronaut 108 25888 January 4, 2018 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  Is it logical for a Theological Noncognitivist to identify as an atheist? IanHulett 24 6410 September 8, 2015 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: IanHulett
Exclamation I NEED logical support... rsngfrce 127 14792 June 17, 2015 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
  Why Agnostic Atheism may not be the most logical stance. Mystic 36 12649 March 1, 2014 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  one logical explanation for Materialistic Athiesm? Bob101 61 14825 February 13, 2014 at 7:08 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Do you believe that only mentally ill people commit suicide? leodeo 35 8537 January 8, 2014 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: MindForgedManacle