Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Op ED On Pat Robertson, Fallacy Files.
Op ED On Pat Robertson, Fallacy Files.
http://www.examiner.com/article/pat-rob ... e-shooting

Fallacy Files

Once again right wing nut case Pat Robertson childishly tries to demonize atheists to remain in the spotlight by blaming the Sikh Temple shooting on atheists and "hate of God".

He is right atheists DO hate God, but only as a claim, not as a human rights issue. Just as if someone had a friend who they loved who still insisted that the sun rotated around the earth, you may love that person, but if you know that is false, it would bother you that your friend went around claiming it. Just as you would hate it if someone went around claiming Thor made lightening. The believer has the saying "Love the sinner not the sin". The atheist version would be "love the claimant, not the claim itself".

Now let me make something clear Pat. It is completely false that because we don't believe in a god, that we cannot have empathy for the suffering of people who do believe. Our sympathies for the Temple victims is the same as it was for the theater victims and Va Tec.

Having debated a wide spectrum of beliefs from Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist and Pantheist, I'd be just as willing to debate a Sikh, not because people believe all sorts of things, but because they have no evidence for such claims, no human has ever had anything but a history of tradition. If that were all it took for evidence to constitute reality then the sun would be a god because people once believed it for 3,000 years.

What IS universal, is our species ability to feel pain and empathy. No label owns a monopoly on what humans have always gone through. The joy and pain we have in life is not the invention or property of Christians, or Muslims or Sikhs or Jews or atheists.

I feel bad for the victims of any type of crime that involves murder, be it a domestic crime, mass shooting, or the genocide going on in Syria. The point is debate and blasphemy is a completly separate subject and has NOTHING to do with the atheist ability, BECAUSE WE ARE, despite your fucking bullshit, the same species.

Atheists go through the same ups and downs in life as believers OF ALL LABELS. We have lost loved ones to illness, accidents, old age and sometimes crime. There were plenty of witnesses in NYC who were godless who lost loved ones, and where just as traumatized by that event as any believer.

We are not a sub species like you'd childishly like to sell the public. We have family members and friends and co-workers who do believe. We do not live on an island. If this had been an atheist convention shooting, rather than a Sikh Temple, do you honestly believe we'd be robots and say "oh well", not not give a shit about the deaths of others?

We are all humans first Pat, which is why you cannot fucking accept that you are not the center of the universe. You devalue the suffering of the victims of ALL violence and you ignore the humanity all of us have evolved from, by making it about you, and your pet god, rather than our common humanity.

A victim is a victim and that person feels pain, and that person's family members feel pain. How dare you even fucking suggest that because we may not like the logic of what ANY person of any label might claim, that because of our objections to use of logic, that we are somehow monsters.

Any person who is witness to a mass shooting, be it in a Mosque or Synagogue or Theater or College or Sikh Temple is going to feel the same pain and suffering, and if it were an atheist event, we would too. You will not get away with this dirty tactic and fear mongering. Atheists feel just as bad for these Sikhs, regardless of what we might think of ANY given god claim in human history. This event is about humans suffering, and that is something to varying degrees, all humans will go through in their lives.
RE: Op ED On Pat Robertson, Fallacy Files.
I don't hate God as a claim.
(August 7, 2012 at 9:12 am)Brian37 Wrote: He is right atheists DO hate God, but only as a claim, not as a human rights issue.

Well, actually..

I dislike god as a fictional character, in the same way as I dislike Dolores Umbridge of the Harry Potter series, thus it has little impact on my life. As for the concept of god as a real being, well, I cannot hate something that doesn't exist, now can I?
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(August 7, 2012 at 10:32 am)Kayenneh Wrote:
(August 7, 2012 at 9:12 am)Brian37 Wrote: He is right atheists DO hate God, but only as a claim, not as a human rights issue.

Well, actually..

I dislike god as a fictional character, in the same way as I dislike Dolores Umbridge of the Harry Potter series, thus it has little impact on my life. As for the concept of god as a real being, well, I cannot hate something that doesn't exist, now can I?

If Harry Potter were believed by a majority of a population as being a real super hero, I don't think you'd be saying that.

The fact that this website even exists is a testimony for the need of questioning ALL god claims, because of the geopolitical implications worldwide. To say you cannot ever be affected by the actions of others is absurd.

Context.

God does not have an affect on humans, true, anymore than pink unicorns do. But humans who hold these beliefs as fact DO have an affect on others.
(August 7, 2012 at 9:26 am)Tiberius Wrote: I don't hate God as a claim.

I don't hate "god" at all. God is just the fictional villain of some very bad literature.

I do regard people who chose to follow him as a bunch of cunts. Including Pat Robertson but he is merely an extreme example of a very common failing among the religious. Overwhelming stupidity.
I tried the link but got a 404 error.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(August 7, 2012 at 11:11 am)Brian37 Wrote: If Harry Potter were believed by a majority of a population as being a real super hero, I don't think you'd be saying that.

Hah, have you ever met Harmony-shippers? I have. Big Grin

Quote:To say you cannot ever be affected by the actions of others is absurd.

God does not have an affect on humans, true, anymore than pink unicorns do. But humans who hold these beliefs as fact DO have an affect on others.

Is there an echo in here? You clearly missed my point (or then I was unable to express myself eloquently enough), since this was essentially what I meant. I am well aware of the fact that all human beings have an impact on my life.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(August 7, 2012 at 1:41 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: I tried the link but got a 404 error.

Funny, I got the same thing with god.
Quote:I don't hate "god" at all. God is just the fictional villain of some very bad literature.

Steady on there mate,the bible is like the curate's egg; parts of it are excellent; OK, ONE part; "The Song Of Solomon". The rest not so much.Cool Shades

PS for the Americans; "the curate's egg" is a literary allusion. (Punch magazine 1895)
(August 7, 2012 at 2:00 pm)Kayenneh Wrote:
(August 7, 2012 at 11:11 am)Brian37 Wrote: If Harry Potter were believed by a majority of a population as being a real super hero, I don't think you'd be saying that.

Hah, have you ever met Harmony-shippers? I have. Big Grin

Quote:To say you cannot ever be affected by the actions of others is absurd.

Is there an echo in here? You clearly missed my point (or then I was unable to express myself eloquently enough), since this was essentially what I meant. I am well aware of the fact that all human beings have an impact on my life.

Sorry, I did misread that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another story from the "Dumbass" files, me. Brian37 63 2983 October 27, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Sal
  The dangerous fallacy of "You can do it." Brian37 52 2882 September 7, 2020 at 2:30 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Is Nuance a Fallacy? ItsNotEmmi 14 1408 April 13, 2016 at 4:21 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The "nope" files. Jacob(smooth) 11 2157 February 27, 2015 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: Exian
  The fallacy of "The virtue of the oppressed" Brian37 8 3114 January 28, 2015 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Fallacy Files, Atheists worship science. Brian37 0 867 August 30, 2012 at 8:58 am
Last Post: Brian37
Star Pat Robertson blames atheists 5thHorseman 21 5592 August 11, 2012 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Rainbow Pat gets mad Napoléon 78 21010 August 12, 2011 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  PSP and video files Darwinian 3 2035 May 29, 2009 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: Darwinian