Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For the Book Worms
For the Book Worms
My favorite? The TS Eliot one, of course.

http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blog...ustrations

Although Faulkner is wise as always.

[Image: literatureinspiredfineart06.jpg]
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: For the Book Worms
My three favorite novels:
1) The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger)
2) The Bros. Karamazov (Fyodor Dostoevsky)
3) Miss Lonelyhearts (Nathanael West)

I have been getting into Cormac McCarthy relatively recently and if I actually get into working on that totally batshit remake of Little Women I've been toying with, I fully intend to have Fritz Baer turn Jo into a Cormac McCarthy junkie partly by letting her read it herself, and partly by reading it aloud as part of his set and setting duties as a trip guide after Jo drops LSD into her eyeballs.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I'm reading the Count of Monte Cristo at the moment, and loving it.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
For fiction, I'm now reading Dicken's Dombey and Son and for non-fiction, I'm reading Bart Ehrman's New Testament. Both are great.
Good quotes!
I'm currently reading The Painted Bird by Kosinski and The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander. Both are horribly depressing Undecided but very well written.
I'm re-reading Pride & Prejudice because I'm a sap, and Sex at Dawn, which is a fascinating look at human monogamy and how it's not really rooted in evolution.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
I´m currently reading In the First Circle by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. I´ve read it many times before but it still gives something new everytime I come back to it.
(August 27, 2012 at 2:21 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: I'm re-reading Pride & Prejudice because I'm a sap, and Sex at Dawn, which is a fascinating look at human monogamy and how it's not really rooted in evolution.

I could have told you that. Wink It feels good, though.

I love the Poe one. I think all writers are crazy. Google thinks so too.

Christ, the Jane Austen one kind of describes my life, at the moment. Weird. I love books.
I'm reading Vital Lies, Simple Truths: The Psychology of Self-Deception

The mind fascinates me.
Big Grin

(August 27, 2012 at 4:46 pm)Shell B Wrote: I think all writers are crazy.
I find that to be true for most intelligent/creative people ...

Crazy in a good way.

I stopped reading fiction in college, as I felt I got just as much out of nonfiction and was learning something to boot. (I wasn't a strong reader.) I've recently reconsidered, but have yet to finish a fiction book. (My reading is driven by book clubs.) I started Jane Eyre, the Brothers Karamazov, and the Engines of God, but put them down after a few chapters and never resumed reading.

Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows: An Introduction to Carnism
[Image: why-we-love-dogs-eat-pigs-and-wear-cows-...arnism.jpg]

The Diamond That Cuts Through Illusion (The Diamond Sutra with commentaries by Thich Nhat Hanh)
[Image: The-Diamond-That-Cuts-Through-Illusion.jpg]

Mastering the Art of War (Two sets of commentaries by Generals Zhuge Liang and Liu Ji)
[Image: books?id=ZAEKAAAACAAJ&printsec=frontcove...Hw1mqZPkOc]

Zen At War
[Image: zen-at-war-w.jpg]

And I joined a heathen bible study group, so we'll be starting the Old Testament shortly.
[Image: holy-bible.jpg]

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Top Book Recommendations FrustratedFool 17 1044 August 15, 2023 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Andy Weir's new book due out May 4th. Gawdzilla Sama 2 264 December 24, 2020 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Book banning Spongebob 39 3199 December 21, 2020 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Sci-fi/fantasy author criticizes book store for stocking dead guys Foxaèr 9 1120 April 20, 2019 at 8:18 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Favorite Book From Childhood T0 Th3 M4X 16 2021 December 23, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Gay bunny book outsells Pence family's bunny book Foxaèr 1 387 March 20, 2018 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Terry Goodkind's 'Sword of Truth' book series Foxaèr 17 2025 February 21, 2018 at 11:42 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  First Children's Book to Teach the Big Bang to preschoolers GeorgiasTelescope 15 3676 June 24, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  So, I published my first children's book–Tori the Time Traveler Shell B 38 6088 May 28, 2017 at 11:13 am
Last Post: Shell B
  For Fantasy/Sci-Fiction Lovers: What Makes You Reada Book? Rhondazvous 51 5372 February 27, 2017 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous