Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Terry Goodkind's 'Sword of Truth' book series
Terry Goodkind's 'Sword of Truth' book series
I remember being introduced to the writer and the series many years ago by a good friend, and I especially enjoyed the books in the beginning of the series. There are a total of nineteen books in the series to date, having ended with Warheart. He is currently starting a new chronicle involving two characters from the old series, but I am not here to discuss that.

Rather, I wanted to briefly discuss the Sword of Truth series. I personally found the beginning novels to be more involved in what message the writer was attempting to convey through his characters, but somewhere along the line his books became less characteristic of his earlier genius. I figure it has something to do with him wanting to pour all of himself into his writing in the beginning, to showcase the best of himself and what he had to offer, and that after his novels gained a foothold in the literary world he decided to become more lax in his approach toward writing.

There are many atheistic concepts especially in the early novels of the series, but also throughout. The one thing I was never quite capable of reconciling in my mind was his approach toward magic, Creation, and the Underworld. As far as I recall, there is no mention of the existence of god(s) anywhere in the novels, but at times it seemed to me that the main character was not quite as reasonable as he should have been. Certainly, the writer provided nearly acceptable arguments for how the main character was reasoning, but to me it seemed to be apologetic arguments that failed under heavy scrutiny. For instance, the writer would be completely reasonable in showcasing cognitive dissonance, something from which most theists suffer, in a particular character that could not accept the harshness of the truth over the comfortable lie, but then the writer would unreasonably insert Creation as though it was sentient and humans having souls that occupied an underworld after death.

Overall, the series is a great fantasy read. I just wish it would have been stronger in its atheistic intent.

Have you read any of the books in the series or even the entire series? What is your opinion of the series?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Terry Goodkind's 'Sword of Truth' book series
It declines fairly fast after book 2, and gets to be total crap by about book 7.
Got to agree with the quick decline of the books. It seemed that after the first two, they turned into fuzzy carbons of each other, differing only in the details and never really introducing new concepts.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Perhaps The Nicci Chronicles will prove less disappointing, though to be honest I was not all that disappointed by the Sword of Truth series.
~ Erin Hunter
I read some of the books a long time ago. I won't forget the (spasm inducing)baton wielding dominatrixes, or Richards crazy half brother that grew up in a brothel.
I am working on getting all the books of this series actually. It's one of the few series that I am still trying to collect. I inherited them from my step dad and insist on having all of them before I start reading. I refuse to buy new so I'm always checking Half Priced Book Store for the ones I need. I think I'm down to needing Omen Machine, Third Kingdom, Severed Souls, The First Confessor, Debt of Bones, & Warheart. Not bad for piecing it together.

Although even if I get them all I'm currently reading another monstrous series similar in style called Wheel of Time. I will probably take years to finish all 15 books in that series.

Have you read any of the Shannara series? They have a TV show out for it now. I know this is all off topic but it isn't often people want to talk about the kinds of books I read.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
(February 7, 2018 at 2:48 pm)mlmooney89 Wrote: Although even if I get them all I'm currently reading another monstrous series similar in style called Wheel of Time. I will probably take years to finish all 15 books in that series.

Robert Jordan, right? I know I started reading the first book, but I cannot remember if I ever finished it. I might have, but I am certain I never finished the second book in the series. I suppose I just could not get into it.

(February 7, 2018 at 2:48 pm)mlmooney89 Wrote: Have you read any of the Shannara series? They have a TV show out for it now. I know this is all off topic but it isn't often people want to talk about the kinds of books I read.

I have seen the first season of the show and a couple episodes of the second season. Not sure when I will be able to watch more.

I have not read the books, though I do recall them being of interest to me when I saw them at the library when I was a teenager.
~ Erin Hunter
I read many of the books in the Shannara series.
I also read the books that tie the 'Word and the Void' series by Terry Brooks into it.

Years ago I read all of the "Wheel of Time" books. Have you gotten into the Brandon Sanderson written ones yet? I "read" his "Mistborn Trilogy" (audiobooks) much more recently and I remember that better.
(February 7, 2018 at 4:13 pm)Industrial Lad Wrote: I read many of the books in the Shannara series.
I also read the books that tie the 'Word and the Void' series by Terry Brooks into it.

Years ago I read all of the "Wheel of Time" books. Have you gotten into the Brandon Sanderson written ones yet? I "read" his "Mistborn Trilogy" (audiobooks) much more recently and I remember that better.

Lol I'm 195 pages into the first book I have not got to those books by Sanderson yet :p I'm not allowed to start anymore series until I read what I have so since I have all of Wheel of Time and Sword of Truth to read I doubt I will ever get to another series hehe
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
(February 7, 2018 at 4:27 pm)mlmooney89 Wrote:
(February 7, 2018 at 4:13 pm)Industrial Lad Wrote: I read many of the books in the Shannara series.

Lol I'm 195 pages into the first book I have not got to those books by Sanderson yet :p I'm not allowed to start anymore series until I read what I have so since I have all of Wheel of Time and Sword of Truth to read I doubt I will ever get to another series hehe
Yeah, that's how I am with books. I try to limit myself to one to make it easier to finish.
Now I'm reading two books at once despite my best intentions.

You're in for a treat! Robert Jordan gives a background story to even minor characters, which I always thought was cool. That definitely contributes to the often +500 page count.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Top Book Recommendations FrustratedFool 17 1038 August 15, 2023 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Horror TV series MR. Macabre 666 9 680 May 27, 2023 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The Wheel of Time (tv series) Foxaèr 24 2560 November 26, 2021 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Andy Weir's new book due out May 4th. Gawdzilla Sama 2 258 December 24, 2020 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Book banning Spongebob 39 3188 December 21, 2020 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Sci-fi/fantasy author criticizes book store for stocking dead guys Foxaèr 9 1111 April 20, 2019 at 8:18 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Favorite Book From Childhood T0 Th3 M4X 16 2009 December 23, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Matt Groening’s new series: Disenchantment Fake Messiah 17 1471 May 24, 2018 at 11:01 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Gay bunny book outsells Pence family's bunny book Foxaèr 1 385 March 20, 2018 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Just turned off the New Hawaii Five O series..... Brian37 0 355 December 15, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Brian37