Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Free will is an illusion
Free will is an illusion
Even atheists struggle with the fact that free will is an illusion because so much of our human lives depends on our viewing one another as conscious agents capable of free choice. Our behavior is the result of physical processes in the brain.
GodlessGirl
RE: Free will is an illusion
Yes, yes, in the end we all are slaves to the very particles we are made of. What of it? All I ask for is the ability to chose if I want to eat a steak or fish, what book I should read next or do I want to wake up at 6:00 am or 7:00. Do we need more than that and what's the fuss about?
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(August 26, 2012 at 9:36 am)Kayenneh Wrote: Yes, yes, in the end we all are slaves to the very particles we are made of. What of it? All I ask for is the ability to chose if I want to eat a steak or fish, what book I should read next or do I want to wake up at 6:00 am or 7:00. Do we need more than that and what's the fuss about?

But you don't have the ability to chose. You only think you do. Our belief in choice arises from our moment to moment ignorance of specific prior causes.
GodlessGirl
(August 26, 2012 at 9:48 am)GodlessGirl Wrote: But you don't have the ability to chose. You only think you do. Our belief in choice arises from our moment to moment ignorance of specific prior causes.

Riiight.. So when you made two threads about this topic and decided to put it in the shoutbox, it wasn't really your choice, but you had to do so, because cosmic/atomic forces forced you to do so?
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

You are starting to understand
GodlessGirl
[Image: facepalm.png]
Cunt
(August 26, 2012 at 9:57 am)GodlessGirl Wrote: You are starting to understand

What would have been the evolutionary point of understanding if it has no bearing on our actions?
Basically the same view I have. It's like a random roll of the die - it's not really random. If, while the die were in mid air, you could know it's direction, spin, speed, etc, all the conditions of the environment and the surface it has been rolled on you'd be able to predict what number would turn up. The difficulty involved in doing so, however, renders that impractical (though in principle possible) and thus appears random. I don't see why humans, having evolved from non-sentient life, would be exempt from this. If it's true there's no freewill it's kind of a big deal, I think. It's certainly changed the way I view the justice system, for example.

The way people react to determinism (or any conclusion they reach really) is a reflection of their own life. Some people who are depressed adopt a "why bother if the future is inevitable?" view, while others who are already enjoying life take it in their stride and/or are indifferent - that's been my own observation anyway.
GodlessGirl Wrote:Even atheists struggle with the fact that free will is an illusion because so much of our human lives depends on our viewing one another as conscious agents capable of free choice. Our behavior is the result of physical processes in the brain.

That is truly some in-depth analysis.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

I'm waiting patiently to hear the Law & Order "gong."

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreaming is free,.....and evidence free... Brian37 6 1001 October 2, 2017 at 4:29 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  INSANE optical illusion Mudhammam 13 2960 February 8, 2014 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Illusion Darwinian 11 3503 November 9, 2009 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: Amphora
  Why I don't believe in the illusion of self awareness. Darwinian 7 5511 May 30, 2009 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet