Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Afghanistan..troops out NOW!
Afghanistan..troops out NOW!
Over 180 British soldiers, many of them very young indeed, have now perished in the badlands of Afghanistan. More than died in the Iraq conflict. I think they have died in vain, in a " war " that is unwinnable. Moreover, I don't even agree with the reason why it is taking place.
It can only be a matter of time, I hope, before public opinion forces the government to pull out. No shame in that but much shame if yet more young lives are sacrificed needlessly.
What say others?
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
RE: Afghanistan..troops out NOW!
I have a family member that is stationed in Uruzgan. He was on leave last year and explained that there are good reasons for the forces to be there. They are not only there to fight the Taliban, but they are also giving humanitarian aid which is being appreciated by the local community in that region.

He feels that the troops are doing a good job and should persevere. There are serious problems with roadside bombs and ambushes, but as is usual that is not the fault of the regular people in the region but a fringe group of fanatics.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(July 12, 2009 at 4:13 pm)leo-rcc Wrote: I have a family member that is stationed in Uruzgan. He was on leave last year and explained that there are good reasons for the forces to be there. They are not only there to fight the Taliban, but they are also giving humanitarian aid which is being appreciated by the local community in that region.

He feels that the troops are doing a good job and should persevere. There are serious problems with roadside bombs and ambushes, but as is usual that is not the fault of the regular people in the region but a fringe group of fanatics.

I would not aprove of any of my family getting sent there.
I do not believe that the Taliban must be beaten there or we in Europe would face more terrorism.
I do not believe we can police the whole world. Politicians CHOOSE where to become involved, not always with the best intentions.
I do not doubt that the troops do their best. Down the centuries it has always been so. They remain " cannon-fodder ".
Top military people have stated that this war is unwinnable. I agree.
The sane decision is to withdraw.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
Without British troops guarding the opium fields, how is the Royal Empire ever going to maintain control over China?
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
(July 12, 2009 at 4:36 pm)LEDO Wrote: Without British troops guarding the opium fields, how is the Royal Empire ever going to maintain control over China?

we are being told it's about stopping al-quaida, nothing to do with china.
In principle I am not opposed to regime change by force.

I would like to have seen the war in Afghanistan establish a permanent democratic government but I don't think it has worked (that government seems unable to survive without Western aid) and, as such lives have been wasted.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
(July 12, 2009 at 4:52 pm)bozo Wrote:
(July 12, 2009 at 4:36 pm)LEDO Wrote: Without British troops guarding the opium fields, how is the Royal Empire ever going to maintain control over China?

we are being told it's about stopping al-quaida, nothing to do with china.

That is what they want you to believe. The Bilderbergs and Free Masons are behind it. Follow the money. And remeber G. Gordon Liddy says, "Buy Gold."
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
(July 12, 2009 at 4:27 pm)bozo Wrote: I would not aprove of any of my family getting sent there.

Well that is not up to you is it? I would prefer it if he was safe at home, but as he volunteered that is his decision.

(July 12, 2009 at 4:27 pm)bozo Wrote: The sane decision is to withdraw.

It is not that easy. Just because it gets a bit dicey the forces cannot leave the people in Afghanistan behind in the mess they created in the first place.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Hey,

I like this thread. I am a peace-monger. I have been my whole life, and I will always be. I do not believe in the need for the Afghanistan war. I see pretty clearly the mind-games surrounding it all. My country (I get a whole one!) is also in this action, and has been for years. We have lost a lot of good young folk, and it has done absolutely irreparable and terrible damage to my relationship with said country.

I see that the war in Afghanistan is a clear example of misinformation. They went there to find Osama. Not Obama, Osama. But that seemed to evaporate. Then, instead of personal retribution against the 'terrorists' in the country, it was suddenly a war to overthrow their legitimate government. I do not support very much at all about the Taliban, but their legitimacy is not connected to their civil rights record. Other countries are allowed to have shitty leaders, it doesn't seem like a valid reason for war. It is also clear from watching that the government installed in Kabul is very different from the values and wants represented by Afghani people. It, unfortunately, does appear that Opium output suffered during Taliban rule, as well as access to cheaper fossil fuels for the west. It seems almost like organized crime. And all the reasons for war keep changing. Eurasia! Eurasia! Perpetual war for perpetual peace. Weren't we warned of these days?

That is what I think. Every minute of Afganistan and Irag were/are a tragedy. Every minute.

But, Leo. I respect your feelings, as you have family involved. I too have family involved. I do not want to argue, or insult you in any way. I have my view, you have yours. I will not try to compel you to see it my way, and deeply respect our differences in this vein. Your post was very polite itself, for a disagreement.

Quote:...as such lives have been wasted.

Kyu, just so we're clear. Is that the lives of Brits? Americans? Canadians? Do you consider the likely over 2 million dead middle-easterners (as a result of this war action) as a waste? Or is that the 'gotta break a few eggs' thing? I see most humans as equal, certainly not better or worse on a racial or social whole. So a few million dead crushes me more than a few thousand. And usually, so far, we don't send old woman and young children into combat... I only wish to point out that every life lost in war is a waste. Inasmuch as dying is kind of wasteful (from one little angle), we have already gone over that.

There. No war. I support the troops coming home. I respect all of your opinions on the matter though, as it can get very personal very fast.
"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the sons of God",
-Pip
Hitler committed atrocities. An alliance was needed to stop him. The entirety of Europe had to be reduced to rubble to achieve this. They did not stop and turn around and leave once he was stopped, an occupation was needed.

Saddam committed atrocities. This alliance was needed to stop him.

The Taliban committed atrocities. This alliance was needed to stop them.

The alliance cannot just pack up and leave, an occupation is needed to keep the warlords from just installing more of the same.

Just the 2 cents from one who has been there (Iraq - PurpleHeart recipient) and believes in the cause.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information The United States has not spent $ 300 million a day on war in Afghanistan. alextruesay 60 3199 August 26, 2021 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  So I guess since the GOP is in power now they really don't give a fuck about this now GODZILLA 3 1235 June 29, 2018 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Trump appointee shows his support for our troops, and is forced to resign. The Grand Nudger 6 862 January 19, 2018 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Why Are We Still In Afghanistan? Minimalist 12 3802 June 19, 2017 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: NuclearEnergy
  Trump threatens to send troops into Mexico to take care of the "bad hombres" Aegon 23 5981 February 12, 2017 at 9:56 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Poll of over 3000 U.S. troops: Gary Johnson preffered over Clinton, Trump ReptilianPeon 7 1818 July 22, 2016 at 11:22 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  American military in afghanistan tor 73 10210 April 14, 2014 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: Senshi
  My Programme for Afghanistan EgoRaptor 18 3144 January 20, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet
  Shit: Suspect in Torture Is Arrested in Afghanistan Minimalist 0 1003 July 7, 2013 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Young as 6 raped by troops in Congo who fled M23 cratehorus 94 33147 June 13, 2013 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: cratehorus