Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your vs. You're vs Yore
Your vs. You're vs Yore
Jesus it's irritating to read a post when someone uses "your" when they mean "you're" or "you are" so could we just do a little refresher here?

Your - as in "your religion"

You're - as in "you're religious" - you are religious

Yore - not used much, just including it to be a complete asshole about this - of old; long ago

Thank you for taking care of our English language. Clap
[Image: generic_sig.jpg]
RE: Your vs. You're vs Yore
Apostrophes, people, are used either when you're taking shortcuts like in "you're" = "you are" or when something has ownership of something else e.g. FallentoReason's post. When you use an apostrophe, ask yourself why. Is it because there's letters that are missing (e.g. we'll = we will) or because that person or thing has ownership of something? Otherwise, it's most likely not needed therefore please don't (i.e. DO NOT) use it!

P.s. don't mean to brag, but English is actually my second language.. I shouldn't be better than native speakers at it!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(September 17, 2012 at 7:24 am)FallentoReason Wrote: P.s. don't mean to brag, but English is actually my second language.. I shouldn't be better than native speakers at it!

When you live in Scotland you kind of expect native speakers to be worse. Tongue
Cunt
Well, this isn't patronising in the slightest.
Tino being slightly longer in the tooth than you, I sincerely understand your frustration, but I am dyslexic and you would not believe how illegible I would become without a spell check. Even with it wrong words litter my posts. Which frustrates me beyond reason, as such I don't play in chat rooms as I cannot produce anything legible in the time required.
I sympathise, but I do not see a solution to your problem.
Yore diatribe is misplaced; so, your just going to have to get over you’re frustration.

Yule be a better man for it.
(September 17, 2012 at 7:41 am)Napoléon Wrote: Well, this isn't patronising in the slightest.

Oh good, I was worried that it might come across that way, glad to hear it. :-)

(September 17, 2012 at 8:24 am)cato123 Wrote: Yule be a better man for it.

There's noel in yule.

(September 17, 2012 at 8:10 am)jonb Wrote: Tino being slightly longer in the tooth than you, I sincerely understand your frustration, but I am dyslexic and you would not believe how illegible I would become without a spell check. Even with it wrong words litter my posts. Which frustrates me beyond reason, as such I don't play in chat rooms as I cannot produce anything legible in the time required.
I sympathise, but I do not see a solution to your problem.

I was citing no one specifically because the problem isn't isolated. I sympathise with your dyslexia. Getting the rant off my chest is a good enough solution.
[Image: generic_sig.jpg]
The one thing I hate about spell-checker is that it will sometimes replace the word I type with something it likes better.

I don't always catch it.
Another one (that I've seen so often here, by people from the UK, too) is this strange choice:-

Should of
Could of
Would of
etc

Apparently, because "should've" sounds like "should of". The word is "have", not "of".

And, yes, I know that it is very annoying to have people like me tell people like you how you should and shouldn't spell certain words... but the internet is a written medium. Confusedhrug:

I do my best to keep my inner spelling nazi on mute-mode. Usually, I succeed. Usually. Smile
[Image: ascent_descent422.jpg]
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
(September 17, 2012 at 1:49 pm)Red Celt Wrote: Another one (that I've seen so often here, by people from the UK, too) is this strange choice:-

Should of
Could of
Would of
etc

Apparently, because "should've" sounds like "should of". The word is "have", not "of".

And, yes, I know that it is very annoying to have people like me tell people like you how you should and shouldn't spell certain words... but the internet is a written medium. Confusedhrug:

I do my best to keep my inner spelling nazi on mute-mode. Usually, I succeed. Usually. Smile

I'll admit that I am guilty of that one. I'm just too lazy to fix shit... and I always tell myself "ah, well... it is only the internet". Tongue
Cunt

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If Your House Caught Fire, what are the Last 3 Things You'd Grab On Your Way Out? vorlon13 30 6653 August 21, 2017 at 11:37 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  If Your House Caught Fire, what are the First 3 Things You'd Grab On Your Way Out? Rhondazvous 58 10577 August 20, 2017 at 8:12 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Are you okay with your (or your partner's) vajayjay? Whateverist 242 29807 October 9, 2015 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: robvalue