Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Young man arrested for satirical facebook page (Greece)
Young man arrested for satirical facebook page (Greece)
(Copy-paste of a message I posted on FB)

I know internet petitions only rarely work (if ever), but I wanted to turn your attention to something happening in Greece. Unfortunately, my country's constitution has yet to abolish anti-blasphemy laws and a young man is now paying for it, because he committed the unspeakable crime of creating a satirical facebook page meant to ridicule the commercialization of faith (check out the #freegeronpastitsios tag on twitter).

Said page made its point abundantly clear when, a few months ago, the creator, in an attempt to showcase just how easy it is to get people to believe in miracles, created a pastiche (pun intended) of previous 'miracles' and e-mailed the result to several religious websites/blogs. The 'miracle' deliberately contained many false pieces of information that none of the blogs even bothered to double check, and instead posted the 'miracle' in its entirety without batting an eyelash.

The page had been the recipient of a salvo of threats for many months now, until it caught the eye of a member of the parliament who belongs in the far right wing of the Greek political landscape (a neo-Nazi party, to be precise). Within a few days of the politician's complaint, the page was taken down and the creator arrested.

If the fact that this is happening in a European country bothers you as much as it bothers me, please take a moment of your time to show your support for this cause in any way you can. Sorry for the long post, but I felt this was something that needed to be shared and acknowledged for the atrocity it is.

http://www.change.org/petitions/greek-pa...phemy-laws

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Random Facebook god post Rahn127 10 1384 June 27, 2019 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Just now on Facebook....... Brian37 10 1528 September 6, 2018 at 9:18 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Just met a former Muslim on Facebook Brian37 6 2721 May 3, 2018 at 8:28 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Amos Yee : Atheist arrested twice for "intention to wound religious feelings" Incognito 20 6939 January 14, 2017 at 8:45 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I wish I had yall on Facebook mlmooney89 115 16566 August 5, 2016 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  This is the message I just got on Facebook Easy Guns 15 4019 December 31, 2015 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Easy Guns
  Too young to be an atheist... piterski123 32 5008 April 29, 2015 at 9:56 pm
Last Post: Jericho
  my ramble on facebook.. got bored Goon 1 1332 April 23, 2015 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: Goon
  My facebook group... Brian37 0 1224 April 5, 2015 at 8:03 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Schooling on Facebook with Common Sesnse dyresand 11 3381 March 31, 2015 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan