Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 11:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intelligent design: could we do better?
Intelligent design: could we do better?
I always seem to think of this when I'm taking some kind of biology class.

Everyone here has heard of intelligent design, right? It's the idea that our bodies or sections of our bodies and the world or universe in general, it's the idea that they're so complicated but perfect that they couldn't possibly have come into being if not for some intelligent designer.

Know what I think of that? Yeah, well, since I think God is nothing more than an invisible friend in the sky, I think intelligent design is garbage. Mainly because I see so many flaws to the universe and, specifically, human beings, fragile creatures that we are. I mean, if this universe were created specifically for us, why are we only able to survive on a very small portion of it? We have to live on a planet with an atmosphere and it has to have a certain temperature range or we freeze or burn up. Even on that planet, we aren't designed to live on the great majority of the planet because we can't survive for very long in the ocean and the north and south poles both fall under that 'too cold' category.

Even within our own bodies, we're filled with ways we kill ourselves! I mean, think about it: How intelligent is it to create an immune system that can actually kill us with fever while it tries to fight off virus? How about allergies, where our immune system finds a mundane substance and interprets it as a foreign invader and sends our immune system into overdrive to try to fight it off? Because, y'know, cat dander, pollen and peanuts are dangerous things.

Is it just me, or is there anyone else here who thinks, if we had the opportunity, we could design things better than they currently are?
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
RE: Intelligent design: could we do better?
(October 9, 2012 at 4:32 pm)TaraJo Wrote: if we had the opportunity, we could design things better than they currently are?

Hell no! I'm afraid that I might fuck it up even worse if I ever got the chance to try Big Grin
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Maybe the imperfections are what makes it so perfect. Without the bad you wouldn't appreciate the good.

(Damn I sound like a christard)
(October 9, 2012 at 4:39 pm)Napoléon Wrote: Maybe the imperfections are what makes it so perfect. Without the bad you wouldn't appreciate the good.

No excuse for us not to have wings. Walking everywhere is fucking tedious.
(October 9, 2012 at 4:44 pm)Insanity x Wrote: No excuse for us not to have wings. Walking everywhere is fucking tedious.

But that's what makes you appreciate flight so much. What if we had to crawl everywhere on our arses? Wouldn't that make you appreciate having legs just as much?
(October 9, 2012 at 4:45 pm)Napoléon Wrote: But that's what makes you appreciate flight so much. What if we had to crawl everywhere on our arses? Wouldn't that make you appreciate having legs just as much?

So we get a shit deal just to remind us its not as shit as it could be. Sounds shit to me.
(October 9, 2012 at 4:46 pm)Insanity x Wrote: So we get a shit deal just to remind us its not as shit as it could be. Sounds shit to me.

But having a good deal wouldn't mean anything if you didn't know what a shit deal was.
(October 9, 2012 at 4:47 pm)Napoléon Wrote: But having a good deal wouldn't mean anything if you didn't know what a shit deal was.

I don't know what its like to crawl on my belly all the time but I still know it would suck.
Speaking of bad Napo, does the term female carry any negative inclinations in French?

Not to get off topic or anything... Angel
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(October 9, 2012 at 4:49 pm)Insanity x Wrote: I don't know what its like to crawl on my belly all the time but I still know it would suck.

Facepalm

But you do. You know what crawling around on your belly entails, and the prospect of it seems shit because of that.

(October 9, 2012 at 4:50 pm)popeyespappy Wrote: Speaking of bad Napo, does the term female carry any negative inclinations in French?

You'd have to ask a Frenchman.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intelligent Design Is Pseudoscience: Creationist Lies About Evolution Debunked CodeDNA 7 1000 April 22, 2023 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: no one
  The absurdity of the idea that a complex lifeform could be designed?!?! Duty 24 1707 October 7, 2021 at 4:28 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  Are there situations where it is better to have a low IQ? Alexmahone 41 6528 July 5, 2018 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Blind evolution or intelligent design? ignoramus 12 1944 August 2, 2017 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Glad I could clear this up for you . . . . vorlon13 3 930 July 6, 2017 at 12:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  If this works it could be Huge. brewer 4 1148 April 24, 2017 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Do you think we could/will ever have two dominant[prime] species? Heat 11 3303 November 21, 2015 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Why Do Otherwise Intelligent People Succomb to Religion? Rhondazvous 47 8292 October 25, 2015 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Men are better than women in combat SmootherPebble 61 17046 September 11, 2015 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: thehedglin
  Directionality in evolution without intelligent guidance tantric 25 5206 January 22, 2015 at 6:19 am
Last Post: robvalue