Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Social Darwinism: Right or Wrong
Social Darwinism: Right or Wrong
Hey guys,

I was wondering how you all felt about this topic.

If I didn't believe in God, it seems to me that I would adopt this belief so I was curious how those those that really don't believe in God feel.

So please let me know what you think. Is it right or wrong and why?

Although I mentioned God above, my intention is not to discuss the existence of God or moral ontology.
RE: Social Darwinism: Right or Wrong
Why would you adopt the 'belief' in Social Darwinism if you didn't have your belief in "God"? You're speaking in non sequiturs. I myself do not believe in your god, yet I don't feel the need to adopt any sort of extreme views. I know for a fact that I'm not unique in this. I apologise in advance for the following observation, but based on what you've been sharing around here you remind me of an hypothesis I came across a long time ago. Consider the old valve radio sets. If we remove one valve, and the radio starts howling, do we conclude that the purpose of the valve is to prevent the howling? Similarly, on what basis are we to assume that the removal of a belief in gods will lead inevitably to societal breakdown?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Countdown to mention of Nazi Germany begins in 5 4 3 2.....

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I didn't intend for this to be a thread that focused on me. I'm curious what you guys think.

There have been a few threads lately that ask Christians what they believe on a topic and why...I'm simply doing the same for atheists.
Much as I feel that some sort of social engineering may be beneficial I don't trust the people in power to do it in a compassionate way.
It is a minefield issue like euthanasia.

Jeff, the problem with your question is that there is no clear definition as to what "Social Darwinism" entails. In fact, the term has been applied to several ideological viewpoints that are mutually exclusive.

You're going to need to be more precise to have any kind of meaningful discourse.
(November 9, 2012 at 2:50 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Jeff, the problem with your question is that there is no clear definition as to what "Social Darwinism" entails. In fact, the term has been applied to several ideological viewpoints that are mutually exclusive.

You're going to need to be more precise to have any kind of meaningful discourse.
Good point. Let's go with Wiki for now.

Social Darwinism is an ideology of society that seeks to apply biological concepts of Darwinism or of evolutionary theory to sociology and politics, often with the assumption that conflict between groups in society leads to social progress as superior groups outcompete inferior ones.
"Social Darwinism" actually isn't Darwinism. This may come as a surprise to those of you who don't know much about the theory of evolution, but eugenics are the opposite of the survival of the fittest: eugenics supporters actively select some trait, going against natural selection.

So the eugenics program and social engineering in general should be renamed "Social Intelligent Design".
That would be 'artificial selection' applied to humans then, it's still not design.
Nemo me impune lacessit.
(November 9, 2012 at 2:59 pm)Kirbmarc Wrote: So the eugenics program and social engineering in general should be renamed "Social Intelligent Design".

Or social meddling, I seem to recall that the times in the past when it has been tried there has always been some unpleasant underlying agenda.

If there was a way to erradicate congenital diseases by not allowing the carrier to reproduce would it be beneficial or would we risk losing other genes that would help overall?

Wouldn't it be better to cure the disease?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sexual Abuse in Social Context: Clergy and other (Secular) Professionals. Nishant Xavier 61 3807 July 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  We atheists now have our own social network rado84 16 1744 August 12, 2021 at 7:51 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
Information [Serious] How many reasonable solutions are there to any particular social issue? Prof.Lunaphiles 69 7034 April 11, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What is wrong with theistic beliefs? Whateverist 65 7050 November 30, 2018 at 5:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Argument from "You did it wrong" zipperpull 13 1964 May 23, 2018 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Social void & questions rskovride 3 1258 March 7, 2018 at 11:24 pm
Last Post: rskovride
  Using the word "believe" wrong... maestroanth 8 2049 June 25, 2016 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: SteveII
  Responding to "Homosexuality is wrong, the same way incest is wrong" JewishAthiest 106 25468 February 9, 2016 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  The acts of Virtues derive from a Soul or social obligation? CristW 6 2375 September 11, 2015 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: CristW
  Social Contracts Exian 6 1834 July 11, 2015 at 1:59 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink