Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:58 am

Poll: Did you start out as a theist?
This poll is closed.
Yes, I used to be a theist.
59.26%
16 59.26%
No, I've always been an athiest.
40.74%
11 40.74%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ex Theists
Ex Theists
How many atheists here started their lives as theists and how many have never been religious? Also, do you think that those who became atheist later on in life are better equipped to argue the case for atheism than those who have never been subjected to religious indoctrination?

For example, I didn't even realise I was an atheist until my teens and thought it very strange that people gave me a specific name for something that I didn't believe in or gave very little thought to.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Ex Theists
I've never been religious though I did go through the motions as was mandatory in school.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I was never religious either. Thankfully my parents were atheists and gave me the option to go into religion or have nothing to do with it. I heard the god claim when I was around 7-8 and thought it was a joke. Turns out later on I was right.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
I was christian, Presbyterian by birth. I stopped that at about 10. I knew with my mind and skepticism there were huge flaws in their faith. I became a devout atheist. I then became a boring agnostic. Now I have faith again. My own though, not any one elses...

Oh yeah, no one cares what I think.
-Pip
(August 11, 2009 at 7:33 am)Pippy Wrote: Oh yeah, no one cares what I think.
That's the kind of statement that is said by someone who either just wants to cause trouble or doesn't want to be here.

If you don't want to be here, you are free to leave, but don't make comments like you are being forced out because you are not.

If you want to cause trouble, the staff will be more than happy to give you a speedy ride to the town of Banville.
(August 11, 2009 at 7:33 am)Pippy Wrote: I became a devout atheist.

You became a "devout atheist" ... how the fuck did you do that then (clue: it's an oxymoron)?

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
I was a christian, eastern orthodox, until I was about 14 when I saw that religion is heavily flawed, it made no sense to me and I realized that I don't need to follow a narrow-minded, bigoted, superstitious death cult for the rest of my life. I don't think that there is a difference between atheists who were born in a secular family and people who renounced religion for atheism. If they are true, educated atheists they will cope with arguing for atheism regardless of their religious or secular upbringing.
Personally, it's not God I dislike, it's his fan club I can't stand.
Catholic. I have a longtime goal of getting officially excommunicated.

But anyway, I think first generation atheists do have some advantage in debating. They can put their theist hat on, in a manner of speaking, and understand their reasoning better and hopefully work their arguments around it. It's not always true, but I think it can help. I've seen atheists who have argued a point and they don't seem to understand why their argument is flatly refused by a theist.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
(August 11, 2009 at 7:47 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote:
(August 11, 2009 at 7:33 am)Pippy Wrote: I became a devout atheist.

You became a "devout atheist" ... how the fuck did you do that then (clue: it's an oxymoron)?

Kyu

A devout isn't necessarily a religious person, people can be devoted to a bunch of things not just their beliefs.
Personally, it's not God I dislike, it's his fan club I can't stand.
I agree with Overmars. I'm a devout cosplay nerd.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions for theists (and ex-theists, too) Longhorn 15 4889 April 23, 2015 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: orangebox21
  Theists: What makes your claims right and the claims of other theists wrong? Ryantology 29 8174 March 21, 2014 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Phatt Matt s