Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is why "personal experience" does not constitute evidence.
This is why "personal experience" does not constitute evidence.
http://gawker.com/5963405/not-even-kiddi...prank-ever

Coz people are dicks that like to trick people.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: This is why "personal experience" does not constitute evidence.
On the one hand this is pretty amusing, but on the other...my gut instinct would be to deck the little bitch....and I guess that wouldn't be very amusing.
(I sometimes wonder how many out-takes of skits and shows like this involve the actor getting brutalized - the waiver the actors sign has to be pretty damned hefty)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I was about to say the same thing, Rhythm. I'm not even acting hard either; when I get scared or even spooked, I lash out violently at whatever it is that caused it. That little girl'd be gettin' knocked the fuck out.
How do you know that you have hands? Isn't your personal experience the most immediate grounds for knowing that you have hands?
“The truth of our faith becomes a matter of ridicule among the infidels if any Catholic, not gifted with the necessary scientific learning, presents as dogma what scientific scrutiny shows to be false.”
Other people can confirm that you have hands, Clive...

Did anyone see this comment below?

Quote:This is not funny at all. Some years ago a similar prank was played on me-- someone wielding a fake (I did not know it at the time) knife. I drew my weapon and fired point blank, center mass. The surgeon who ultimately saved this person's life said the bullet missed the heart by half an inch. How funny is THAT? Think twice before doing something this stupid.

Don't play pranks, 'cause everyone is packin' heat...
[Image: media1shootthumb.gif]
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(November 27, 2012 at 3:09 pm)Gambit Wrote: I was about to say the same thing, Rhythm. I'm not even acting hard either; when I get scared or even spooked, I lash out violently at whatever it is that caused it. That little girl'd be gettin' knocked the fuck out.

I know right, neither am I. It's not like I'd square up and throw a hook...I'd just scream like a three year old girl and flail my arms around....give 'er the ole windmill....lol
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 27, 2012 at 3:19 pm)CliveStaples Wrote: How do you know that you have hands? Isn't your personal experience the most immediate grounds for knowing that you have hands?

Does my personal experience constitute evidence for you?
Quote:How do you know that you have hands? Isn't your personal experience the most immediate grounds for knowing that you have hands?

For the most immediate grounds, yes. But if I wasn't sure about having hands and I wanted to check, there are many possible ways to gather more evidence. Other people can easily confirm whether you have hands or not.

Furthermore, "having hands" is an ordinary claim: it doesn't contradict any known scientific evidence. Extraordinary claims (like the religious ones) require an extraordinary amount of evidence, and can't be proven simply by personal experience.

In layman's terms, we don't need to check if we have hands unless we have a good reason to doubt about their existence. We have to check whether dragons or fairies or gods exist or not, because we have good reasons to doubt they do.

So far, the odds are stacked against the supernatural, so it's the believer who have to come out with impressive, detailed, verifiable evidence for its existence.
Bugger; beaten to the punch again! Too many people who aren't me with access to Facebook, I fear.

On the whole hands things, the point is not whether I know I have hands but how do you know I have hands? Would my sharing personal experience of them constitute evidence?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I think this could have had a horrible outcome if someone wasnt in the mood for jokes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9616m6GFjQ

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tim Pool exposes bias on Twitter on the Joe Rogan Experience EgoDeath 0 253 February 9, 2019 at 3:38 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Atheist Wiki -- Reasons that god does not exist. Jehanne 12 1275 July 18, 2018 at 12:09 am
Last Post: DLJ
  The Doctor makes fans day at the Doctor Who Experience Cyberman 3 1308 March 31, 2015 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Richard Dawkins: I can't be sure God does not exist Forsaken 91 35004 April 15, 2012 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Zen Badger
  Richard Dawkins calls into the Atheist Experience leo-rcc 6 3885 September 16, 2011 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: MilesTailsPrower
  The Atheist Experience Eilonnwy 27 14930 December 14, 2008 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: leo-rcc