Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can somebody who knows UK Business law help me?
Can somebody who knows UK Business law help me?
I was wondering what can my employer do if I quit without the contract defined minimum notice period?
I need somebody who knows UK Law to give me an answer. I would also like a straight answer and maybe a reference to any legislation that it may use.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: Can somebody who knows UK Business law help me?
As far as I know, nothing when I used to employ, people did it all the time, just after pay day. But it will not do your reputation any good, and may affect the willingness of that past employer to give references. I would not do it unless you had very good reason, if it is only a new employer is pressuring you to go to them quickly, you would have to question the ethics of the new employer. What would it be like once they have got you in their control?
Contact HMRC.
If it's in the contract that you signed, you'd be in breach of contract. The outcome really depends on the situation and the company you work for:

- The longer the notice period, the more likely the company are to be pissed off and make a legal issue out of it.
- If you are a "mission critical" employee who leaves without properly handing on your work to another person, expect legal action. The entire point of notice periods is so that the company can plan for someone to take over from you.
- Regardless of the above, if you piss off the company whilst leaving, they are not going to give you a good reference for your next job. When I was applying for a new job, I was required to give a reference from my current employer. A bad reference or no reference at all may result in you losing out on the new job, leaving you unemployed.
By leaving employment voluntarily you may not be entitled to benefits.

http://www.tuc.org.uk/extras/jsasanctions.pdf

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(December 9, 2012 at 2:59 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: By leaving employment voluntarily you may not be entitled to benefits.

http://www.tuc.org.uk/extras/jsasanctions.pdf

what benefits, I get paid £4.98 an hour
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
That makes you very young.

https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates

You may be entitled to Job seekers allowance.

https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/eligibility

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(December 9, 2012 at 3:28 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: That makes you very young.

https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates

You may be entitled to Job seekers allowance.

https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/eligibility

I am in full time education.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unfinished Business Angrboda 17 992 September 22, 2021 at 11:11 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  somebody, Please Talk Sense into My Stupid Head. I Think I'm Getting Ready to Fuck Up Rhondazvous 30 2249 September 13, 2018 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  For those who understand the law better than me (would you want it this way too?) Foxaèr 9 1160 July 27, 2018 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Please help me understand this Indian "law" Alexmahone 18 2405 July 25, 2018 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Common places of business you've never graced with your patronage? Foxaèr 45 3207 March 9, 2018 at 12:33 am
Last Post: c172
  Is religion the best proven business model for success? ignoramus 11 1836 December 7, 2017 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Business opportunity. Gawdzilla Sama 1 231 October 17, 2017 at 4:07 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Some advice on how to deal with a "interesting" brother in law NuclearEnergy 21 5651 July 3, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Regina
  Can someone help me buy a DSLR? ErGingerbreadMandude 2 707 June 9, 2017 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  Can Someone Help Me Find this Word? Rhondazvous 28 5441 February 19, 2017 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous