Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 1:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is religion the best proven business model for success?
Is religion the best proven business model for success?
It has passed the test of time ...
It is not affected by geopolitical instability ...in fact, it thrives on it ...
It has extremely low product materials overhead! (I know I'm cynical but it looks like the product is almost non-existent)

There's obviously a pattern to this ultimate business model which many behemoths are copying...
To sell or give away something which brings sadness or inconvenience and then sell the end user the solution...

Google do it by giving us all the shits with youtube and then asking for money to remove the annoying ads...
Yeah, yeah, I know, if I don't like it, go to another huge video site like ....uhhhmmmm...
I just remembered, for this business model to work, you need to remove any competition.
Easy, you buy them up like Google or write shit like, you shall not worship any other God ...

That business model is so brilliant, only a God could have come up with it! Big Grin
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: Is religion the best proven business model for success?
The Catholic Church is the oldest, richest, most powerful, most non productive industry in all of human history.

So yes, it does appear to be quite an effective business model.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
These are very disturbing thoughts. Make wild and vague promises and never have to deliver.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
um . .

I think the Mormons are a bit more into worshipping Mammon than the Catholics are . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(December 7, 2017 at 2:59 am)ignoramus Wrote: There's obviously a pattern to this ultimate business model which many behemoths are copying...
To sell or give away something which brings sadness or inconvenience and then sell the end user the solution...
I suspect that religion is far more effective at selling the cure in an area where there are a great many people who already feel like hopeless degenerates whose lives have no value.  

Quote:That business model is so brilliant, only a God could have come up with it!   Big Grin
It's no different than any other business model.  It's so common and so similar that generic models of market behavior describe and predict religious economies.

(December 7, 2017 at 8:34 am)vorlon13 Wrote: um . .

I think the Mormons are a bit more into worshipping Mammon than the Catholics are . . .

Amateurs playing catch-up, by comparison.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 7, 2017 at 4:44 am)Succubus Wrote: The Catholic Church is the oldest, richest, most powerful, most non productive industry in all of human history.

Not sure it is the most nonproductive industry in human history.  Catholic Monks and nuns sometimes grew their own food, ran their own crafts and industry, and copied non-religious manuscripts. Catholic Church actually runs a world class astronomical observatory in Arizona from which respectable scientific papers emanate.

Buddhist Clergy are actually prohibited by religious stricture from performing any productive work such as cooking, much less growing, food. Nor can they dabble in any pursuit that would provide insight into any thing other than their own navels.
(December 7, 2017 at 9:03 am)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(December 7, 2017 at 4:44 am)Succubus Wrote: The Catholic Church is the oldest, richest, most powerful, most non productive industry in all of human history.

Not sure it is the most nonproductive industry in human history.  Catholic Monks and nuns sometimes grew their own food, ran their own crafts and industry, and copied non-religious manuscripts. Catholic Church actually runs a world class astronomical observatory in Arizona from which respectable scientific papers emanate...

All this? After 1,200 years of almost total domination of Europe and unlimited resources. Seems like a poor return on investment to me. What did they invent in all those years, what did they discover, what did they write. What did they produce?

They produced nothing!
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(December 7, 2017 at 2:59 am)ignoramus Wrote: It has passed the test of time ...
It is not affected by geopolitical instability ...in fact, it thrives on it ...
It has extremely low product materials overhead! (I know I'm cynical but it looks like the product is almost non-existent)

There's obviously a pattern to this ultimate business model which many behemoths are copying...

Google do it by giving us all the shits with youtube and then asking for money to remove the annoying ads...
Yeah, yeah, I know, if I don't like it, go to another huge video site like ....uhhhmmmm...
I just remembered, for this business model to work, you need to remove any competition.
Easy, you buy them up like Google or write shit like, you shall not worship any other God ...

That business model is so brilliant, only a God could have come up with it!   Big Grin

What do you mean it passed the test of time? The longer a religion lasts, the more divisive it gets, and the more changes it goes through. In the modern world, it's pretty much dying off. The only reason christianity survived is because of a roman Emporer. These things only survive through force. Remove the force, and it dwindles to nothing.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(December 7, 2017 at 10:56 am)Succubus Wrote:
(December 7, 2017 at 9:03 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: Not sure it is the most nonproductive industry in human history.  Catholic Monks and nuns sometimes grew their own food, ran their own crafts and industry, and copied non-religious manuscripts. Catholic Church actually runs a world class astronomical observatory in Arizona from which respectable scientific papers emanate...

All this? After 1,200 years of almost total domination of Europe and unlimited resources. Seems like a poor return on investment to me. What did they invent in all those years, what did they discover, what did they write. What did they produce?

They produced nothing!

Some decent architecture, some decent art, back when science and historic scholarship were in their infancies and an overly self confident church actually believed in its own bullshit and thought science and scholarship would help it gild its own lilies, It patronized science and scholarship.  The church certainly had some aspect of nonproductive monasticism, but on the whole it didn’t preach salvation came through nonproductivity, even for its own clergy.

All in all, at various times it had been both a source of and a drag on progress.  It might be argued that in recent centuries it was far more drag than source, but I am not certain I would claim that starting from 476 AD, an ulternative western world that didn’t have the unifying and preservative influence of the Catholic Church through the 14th or 15th century would have been ahead of where it actually is today.

Buddhism actually seems have more consistently preached the highest and truest enlightenment can only come through nonproductivity, and thus doctrinally to be enlightened is to be parasitic, not just the actuality of those peddling enlightenment are in reality parasitic. So it’s clergy is forbidden from anything that even smelled of productivity. How big of a help can such a creed be to human and social progress?
The western world already -had- unifying and preservative influences.  These were destroyed by the church as competitors..................not that this influence ever stopped any of them from warring against each other in the first place.

The amount of brass balled religious affrontery that;s weaseled it;s way into our appraisal of history is tremendous. "What would you have done without us" - Difficult to say, assholes,since you fucking killed everyone else in the run-up to fleecing us. Roman Catholic Christianity effectively -destroyed- the very first empire to assume it. It consumed the rest as willing participants in favor of it's own aggrandizement until the reformation - when we'd finally had enough of their bullshit.

The RCC didn't preserve or promote culture, holding it all for us until the post reformation enlightenment..muslims did. Christians were chiefly engaged in destroying it. Christian monks (and the enitre christian apparatus), all throughout the height of RCC's power... were precisely the sorts of parasites you paint buddhists as. We laud the examples of productive monasticism precisely because they are and were exceptional, not representative. The picture of christian piety had always been the picture of parasitism. A begger in rags eschewing this mortal world and taking no care for the morrow. The story of jesus, after all..is not the story of a hardworking carpenter.

It's only in weakness that christianity has had to repair it's image by doing something of redeeming value.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unfinished Business Angrboda 17 979 September 22, 2021 at 11:11 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Common places of business you've never graced with your patronage? Foxaèr 45 3203 March 9, 2018 at 12:33 am
Last Post: c172
  Business opportunity. Gawdzilla Sama 1 229 October 17, 2017 at 4:07 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  On what model throne do you do your two? Whateverist 31 4127 August 26, 2015 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Can somebody who knows UK Business law help me? Gooders1002 7 1667 December 9, 2012 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: Gooders1002
  [split] Rc model tanks etc. Zen Badger 18 6506 October 11, 2012 at 9:38 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko