Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Reasons to Believe in Yahweh
The Reasons to Believe in Yahweh
A POST FOR CHRISTIANS:

Most of us realize that there have been countless man-made (yet fake) gods created (and worshiped) throughout history (Zeus, Horus, Isis, Apollonius of Tyana, Mithra, etc).

So my question is simple, why do you believe in Yahweh, and reject the rest?

Please present your best ("A Game") evidence/arguments and withhold from long winded preaching, proselytizing, or provoking.
RE: The Reasons to Believe in Yahweh
{Prediction: The bible says.......... }
I would say the most common answer would be.
"my parents were <insert religion here>"

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(December 11, 2012 at 2:37 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: I would say the most common answer would be.

And as we all know, our parents were never wrong about anything. EVER! Big Grin
Prediction: no theist will reply.

They have no reasons.... just feelings and a book that feeds those feelings.
I predict they will point how their deity is different than the others.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
We did a thread on this topic not tto long ago. IIRC it focused mostly on comparisons to Islam and Muhammed's lack of miraculous signs, and may have touched on the Greek mythology toward the end. In short, the evidence for Christianity is better than for other religions, as we know more about its prophets.
(December 11, 2012 at 4:40 pm)John V Wrote: We did a thread on this topic not tto long ago. IIRC it focused mostly on comparisons to Islam and Muhammed's lack of miraculous signs, and may have touched on the Greek mythology toward the end. In short, the evidence for Christianity is better than for other religions, as we know more about its prophets.
You're joking right? Miracle bullshit aside. Muhammad was a real historical figure. There is no historical evidence for the life of Jesus anywhere. There are no contemporaries. The Bible is merely reporting heresy on someone called Jesus claiming to be a demi-god-thingy.
(December 11, 2012 at 3:15 pm)Voltron Wrote:
(December 11, 2012 at 2:37 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: I would say the most common answer would be.

And as we all know, our parents were never wrong about anything. EVER! Big Grin

Of course not. How could our parents be wrong?! They have the one true god. [Image: facepalm.gif]
[Image: segregation-picket-race-mixing-1.jpg?w=593]
[Image: Evolution.png]

Better evidence, or stronger claims? I once heard (read) someone claiming that Muhammad's excuse for not performing miracles was weak, therefore Christianity has more evidence. When, in fact, neither can be proven to have done what they did, miracle or not. Does it really boil down to which one has more miracle claims, and which has more made up stories about it? Also, this is argued from a perspective that assumes one religion must be right, and that atheism is not a viable option. If it weren't, then the arguement wouldn't be made at all.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  List of reasons to believe God exists? henryp 428 84134 January 21, 2018 at 2:56 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7877 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Here are 5 big reasons why Americans are turning away from religion — according to sc Minimalist 3 1523 January 25, 2017 at 9:43 am
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  11 reasons god doesn't exist. Braveheart 43 72577 November 30, 2016 at 9:47 am
Last Post: Cyrinistar
Question Why disbelievers believe? They believe in so called “God of the gaps”. theBorg 49 8499 August 27, 2016 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Most personally convincing reasons you don't believe. emjay 564 63525 July 9, 2016 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Lucifer
  Reasons for God solarwave 144 70098 May 20, 2016 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Yahweh Killed by Operation Rescue fanatics Rhondazvous 7 1773 April 8, 2016 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  How do people justify the worship of Yahweh? Celestine 13 4622 August 22, 2015 at 8:30 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Yahweh Volcano Fire God of War: Updated TheJackel 17 11672 February 21, 2015 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Minimalist