Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't Rip My Head Off -- It's Worth a Read (Gun Self Defense Study)
Don't Rip My Head Off -- It's Worth a Read (Gun Self Defense Study)
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/20...l-lobby/2/
RE: Don't Rip My Head Off -- It's Worth a Read (Gun Self Defense Study)
I wouldn't try to rip your head off. You'd just shoot me.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
I think my favorite part is this:

Quote:There were 535 accidental firearms deaths in 2006 within a population of almost 300 million people. Although every lost life is tragic, the proportion is not particularly startling.

I bet the proportion would be pretty startling if one of those 535 was someone he knew. Like, his kid. I wonder how high that number has to be before it's 'startling'.

There were 353,175 firearms deaths between 1999 and 2010, according to the CDC. Is that startling?
(December 19, 2012 at 12:28 am)Ryantology Wrote: I think my favorite part is this:

Quote:There were 535 accidental firearms deaths in 2006 within a population of almost 300 million people. Although every lost life is tragic, the proportion is not particularly startling.

I bet the proportion would be pretty startling if one of those 535 was someone he knew. Like, his kid. I wonder how high that number has to be before it's 'startling'.

There were 353,175 firearms deaths between 1999 and 2010, according to the CDC. Is that startling?

Compared to other statistics? No.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
Which other statistics?
(December 19, 2012 at 12:48 am)Ryantology Wrote: Which other statistics?

Nvm. I thought you were talking about the 535 statistic for some reason.
My ignore list

Ah..."The Cato Institute", eh?

Quote:The Cato Institute is an American libertarian think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C. It was founded as the Charles Koch Foundation in 1974 by Murray Rothbard, Ed Crane and Charles Koch,[6] chairman of the board and chief executive officer of the conglomerate Koch Industries,

Leave it to the gun nuts to try to change the subject by pointing to a handful of criminals who may have been thwarted while ignoring the pile of bodies in the center of the room.

http://www.cdc.gov/MMWR/preview/mmwrhtml...002255.htm

Quote:Overall, the data provided by the 26 countries included a total of 2872 deaths among children aged less than 15 years for a period of 1 year. Homicides accounted for 1995 deaths, including 1177 (59%) in boys and 818 (41%) in girls. Of the homicides, 1464 (73%) occurred among U.S. children. The homicide rate for children in the United States was five times higher than that for children in the other 25 countries combined (2.57 per 100,000 compared with 0.51)

Fuck...what's a few dead kids when corporate profits for the Koch scumbags are at stake, huh?
(December 19, 2012 at 12:28 am)Ryantology Wrote: I bet the proportion would be pretty startling if one of those 535 was someone he knew. Like, his kid. I wonder how high that number has to be before it's 'startling'.
This is a obvious appeal to emotion.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
a) Cato and the koch's havent exactly been b.f.f's since then, they sued.
b) Lets look at the argument's, not who they come from, ay? Suspicion and wariness, whatever, but all you have done is dismissed them out of hand due to their supposed source. You have offered little more than "hur, the koch brothers are somehow involved."

Shocking statistics? from your 2004 census, 173 - Injuries Associated With Consumer Products: 2004 [Excel 17k]

https://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/...ition.html

You guys need to be more careful.

Injuries associated with the product (though not necessarily caused by the product), apparently serious enough that they go to the hospital. Took me ages to find where I first read those stats (was in bill bryson's "I'm a stranger here myself")
Nemo me impune lacessit.
(December 19, 2012 at 1:04 am)Annik Wrote:
(December 19, 2012 at 12:28 am)Ryantology Wrote: I bet the proportion would be pretty startling if one of those 535 was someone he knew. Like, his kid. I wonder how high that number has to be before it's 'startling'.
This is a obvious appeal to emotion.

The initial statement was as well.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What happens if you "tell" a police to f**k off? Freedom of speech? Duty 16 1026 April 17, 2022 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  What do you think about gun control? FlatAssembler 93 3998 February 21, 2022 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Another Gun Thread Foxaèr 254 18898 September 29, 2020 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I love AOC! She nails it on the head! Secular Elf 11 1028 March 4, 2020 at 2:39 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Proof gun control works GrandizerII 115 6182 August 23, 2019 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Theresa May seen off the coast of Blackpool Cod 0 325 March 11, 2019 at 10:10 am
Last Post: Cod
  Why People Ignore Facts (Gun Control) Jade-Green Stone 22 1643 December 5, 2018 at 9:03 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Putin Comes To The Orange Shitgibbon's Defense Minimalist 10 1589 September 24, 2018 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Republicans Lack Of Self Control BrianSoddingBoru4 45 4735 August 30, 2018 at 11:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Worth The Read. Minimalist 12 906 July 5, 2018 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Angrboda