Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Appointed to city council (as a known atheist)
Appointed to city council (as a known atheist)
I live in the most religious state outside the Bible Belt (Nebraska).

In September, a long-standing member of the village board (city council) announced that he had to retire from the board due to health reasons, and died October 3.

In accordance with State Law and the village's ordinances, at the October meeting, the village board chairman took applications to fill the vacant seat. There were four other applicants, but figuring that atheists will never get their voices heard if they don't at least try to affect government in some way, I also volunteered.

Later, during a volunteer clean-up effort with the village, the chairman told me privately that he was going to place my name in nomination, as he considered me the least divisive candidate.

At the November meeting, I was nominated and unanimously voted to fill out the remaining two year term of the deceased member.

Before the affirmation of office, I appeared on KLAY-AM (Tacoma WA), in an interview on the fradio show Ask an Atheist. The show was about the elections and an apostate Muslim, and Rep Pete Starke was to appear with me. He had scheduling problems though, and I wound up with his time on the air as well. Thus my thirty minutes of fame on the radio.

The programme, and the E-mail I sent that prompted the interview, can be found at Ask An Atheist's Broadcast Archive.

So after thoroughly embarrassing the atheist community on the radio, I took the affirmation of office on December 3.

I was amazed. I did not think they would actually select me. But though this village is religious, it is also pragmatic.

I have a photo of my long-haired hippie visage executing the affirmation with the board and the county attorney, but I cannot seem to upload it . . .

Also, now everyone in town knows my number. "James, what are you going to do about . . ." "James, my neighbour's dog is crapping on my lawn again . . ."

James.

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."
RE: Appointed to city council (as a known atheist)
Quote: "James, my neighbour's dog is crapping on my lawn again . . ."

Tell them you'll pray for it to stop!

Big Grin
(December 26, 2012 at 3:32 am)Anymouse Wrote: I live in the most religious state outside the Bible Belt (Nebraska).

In September, a long-standing member of the village board (city council) announced that he had to retire from the board due to health reasons, and died October 3.

In accordance with State Law and the village's ordinances, at the October meeting, the village board chairman took applications to fill the vacant seat. There were four other applicants, but figuring that atheists will never get their voices heard if they don't at least try to affect government in some way, I also volunteered.

Later, during a volunteer clean-up effort with the village, the chairman told me privately that he was going to place my name in nomination, as he considered me the least divisive candidate.

At the November meeting, I was nominated and unanimously voted to fill out the remaining two year term of the deceased member.

Before the affirmation of office, I appeared on KLAY-AM (Tacoma WA), in an interview on the fradio show Ask an Atheist. The show was about the elections and an apostate Muslim, and Rep Pete Starke was to appear with me. He had scheduling problems though, and I wound up with his time on the air as well. Thus my thirty minutes of fame on the radio.

The programme, and the E-mail I sent that prompted the interview, can be found at Ask An Atheist's Broadcast Archive.

So after thoroughly embarrassing the atheist community on the radio, I took the affirmation of office on December 3.

I was amazed. I did not think they would actually select me. But though this village is religious, it is also pragmatic.

I have a photo of my long-haired hippie visage executing the affirmation with the board and the county attorney, but I cannot seem to upload it . . .

Also, now everyone in town knows my number. "James, what are you going to do about . . ." "James, my neighbour's dog is crapping on my lawn again . . ."

James.

That is fucking awesome. You know when people say or imply that things wont change, I have to laugh and simply point to this as an example. People want to know why I am so vocal, THIS IS WHY. Say nothing, get nothing. Do nothing, get nothing. You did something. The more atheists who speak out the better things will get.

I can say that there is a huge difference between the size of the atheist voice in 01 and the size and scope of it now. Now, James, what are you doing to put a barbecue kitten in the pot of every household?
Good on you, James, and note that an atheist holds elective office in Asheville, NC too.
(December 26, 2012 at 12:54 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: Good on you, James, and note that an atheist holds elective office in Asheville, NC too.

Even more awsomeness.
I've been considering running for city office, myself, but I dunno where to even begin. Plus I'd make a lousy politician; I hate backstabbing.
You know in the UK, no one gives two fucks what your religion is.
(December 26, 2012 at 5:36 pm)5thHorseman Wrote: You know in the UK, no one gives two fucks what your religion is.

So you are the tree in the woods no one is around to hear?Smile

Just being silly. I really wish America could get to that point, maybe someday we will. It does however seem to be trending that way.

It really would please me to see "no religious test" in our Constitution be employed on a more consistent basis.
(December 26, 2012 at 10:56 am)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote: "James, my neighbour's dog is crapping on my lawn again . . ."
Tell them you'll pray for it to stop!
Big Grin
ROFL!
My wife and I had to go to Scottsbluff to take the dog to the vet (a 120 mile round trip). When I got home there was an E-mail flame war going on in my mail box between the village clerk, the village chairman, and the fellow who lives across the street that had parked two trucks on the sidewalk leading up to the hall (he rebuilds vehicles in his yard, and the new village hall he feels is his personal parking lot).

All of them wanted me to settle it. (I am the guy who is least divisive.)

I went over to his house and made a gentle suggestion that parking on the sidewalk and in the handicap space is not going to do much to engender love between him and the community, that I realise he has no space in his yard to park all his dead vehicles, and that perhaps he could (for the short term) at least park them parallel on the street. (It's not like there is a whole lot of traffic in a village of 128.)

After some discussion, and a beer or two, he agreed and moved his vehicles off city property.

Chalk up one for being not divisive.

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."
Print out a bunch of these, keep them handy and dispense as needed.

[Image: jesus_loves_you.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  U.S. withdrawing from UN Human Rights Council? Foxaèr 26 2971 June 23, 2018 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Joods
  Why keep a vice president around, who was appointed by someone worthy of impeachment? Chad32 26 3654 December 9, 2017 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  The City Mouse and the Country Mouse Minimalist 6 1286 September 23, 2017 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Steve Harvey Meets with Trump to Discuss Housing and Inner-city Issues Rhondazvous 60 8482 January 16, 2017 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: Cato
  POTUS Appointed Judges: How Big a Deal? AFTT47 9 1918 April 5, 2016 at 6:25 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  The City of Ferguson Has Decided Minimalist 11 2048 February 10, 2016 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla
  As the west leaves suicides in Afghanistans most liberal city increase Something completely different 6 3023 July 26, 2013 at 6:57 am
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet
  First full meeting as openly-atheist city councilman today. Anymouse 1 1103 January 7, 2013 at 4:38 am
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Romney continues to use well known lies in ads Aroura 3 1804 November 5, 2012 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Aberdeen council election candidate frankiej 3 1849 April 20, 2012 at 11:16 pm
Last Post: Welsh cake