Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:40 am

Poll: If I were forced to choose one of the two countries AND only the two given options of division...
This poll is closed.
I would choose to live on the conservative/republican side.
0%
0 0%
I would choose to live on the liberal/democratic side.
44.44%
4 44.44%
I would place the border line in the middle of the country running north to south.
11.11%
1 11.11%
I would place the border line in the middle of the country running east to west..
0%
0 0%
I totally hate the whole idea.
44.44%
4 44.44%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Only We Could Get Divorced
If Only We Could Get Divorced
I think it's finally come down to it. The USA needs to get divorced.

Republicans / Democrats
Conservatives / Liberals
Guns / No Guns
No Abortion /Abortion
etc. etc.

We just can't seem to work it out and sometimes divorce can be a good thing.

I propose two countries. Everyone could go live in the country they prefer to live in. Not only, could we potentially be a lot happier living under regulations we support, but we wouldn't have to be bothered by the unrelenting in-fighting we have every damn day.

Now the only question is. Where do you draw the line?

[Image: usa.gif]

Who am I kidding? The division line alone would keep us tied up in heated debate for centuries.

I know I know. It's ridiculous.

...... but don't you still kinda want to try it? [Image: Conspiringsml_zpsa8336cfc.png]
[Image: Evolution.png]

RE: If Only We Could Get Divorced
Fun fact, conservative states are the poorest states.

If the confederacy would still exist would be a english speaking central american style failed state.
Hardly, the states that formed the confederacy where the fuel for the mechanized engine of the north, without their resources it would have failed. Why do you think there was no option to allow them to leave?

They would have simply sold their wares to someone else. The benefits continued even after the civil war (and at points were blatantly intentional) as the population of the south was exploited just as effectively from the north as it was from it's former slave drivers.

(most people don't realize this but for the majority of US history textiles were all we had - let me rephrase - the single most important thing in the US was hemp/cotton.)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
And where is that great fuel gone now?

Industry moved to the north.

Cotton is gone, and Texas is the only state which pays more to the federal goverment than it receives.

Oh and slavery is seen as inmoral and wrong today.
I think we need to divide it up more than just two regions. There's a lot of variation across America. We can use the current regional divides as a starting point (Mid-Atlantic region, etc).

I want New England to be its own country, or join up with Canada.
(January 10, 2013 at 1:31 pm)The_Germans_are_coming Wrote: And where is that great fuel gone now?

Industry moved to the north.

Cotton is gone, and Texas is the only state which pays more to the federal goverment than it receives.

Oh and slavery is seen as inmoral and wrong today.

Actually that's where industry started, it's moving south now (to exploit the lower wages expected by the average southerner). The automotive industry, for example, mass migration southward. It makes sense for them. They will of course return northward if conditions improve. They rarely pay anything for these moves, cities counties and states bend over backwards to accomodate.

Yes, slavery is wrong and immoral............(and)?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
When you're trans, and poor and a student, there is no way in hell I'd want to be anywhere near the conservative part of the nation. Can you imagine what states like Alabama or Mississippi would do to me if not for the fact that the constitution is holding them back?
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
Give Texas, Arizona, California, Florida, Kansas and New Mexico back to Spain.
Alaska back to Russia.
Louisana, Mississipi, Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana and Iowa back to the French.
The east coast to the British.
Hawai to the Germans.

And you can keep the rest.

(January 10, 2013 at 1:36 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Actually that's where industry started, it's moving south now (to exploit the lower wages expected by the average southerner). The automotive industry, for example, mass migration southward. It makes sense for them. They will of course return northward if conditions improve. They rarely pay anything for these moves, cities counties and states bend over backwards to accomodate.

Really? Industry in north amercia is outsourcing to the south because wages are lower there?

Like if the south was a third world country?

Quote:Yes, slavery is wrong and immoral............(and)?

Have you never asked yourself how long the confederacy could have kept slavery legal?
If you look at 'advanced societies', what sets them apart from less progressed societies is not that every individual in them is in agreement, but the opposite. The more dissension a society can contain the more likely it is to be technically and educationally advanced. As such this would be a recipe for disaster.
What can you learn from voices that say the same as you?

For a democracy to thrive it needs disagreement.
The_Germans_are_coming Wrote: Really? Industry in north amercia is outsourcing to the south because wages are lower there?

Like if the south was a third world country?
Well, they outsource anywhere that it's cheaper, third world country or not...but yes, In a sense. The thing that deserves mention here is that the north actually treated the south as a third world country and endeavored to make it so. Not just the south, of course, but the south, frontiers, etc. All of the regions that are now so conveniently conservative. Exploiting a cultural identity and experience is often very useful when you want to build a base for an ideology.

Quote:Have you never asked yourself how long the confederacy could have kept slavery legal?
Would be difficult to say, could have kept it legal for quite some time....I'd like to think that by now, with southerners like myself - it would become difficult, but who knows. Whether or not they could have kept it legal they could not have kept it viable. Mechanization.

Think of my being a dyed in the wool southerner a bit like your being a dyed in the wool german. You can accept without reservation that the period surrounding the second world war was a huge misstep for your country-and still discuss how it came to pass, correct? I'm in a similar situation. I could give you examples of what it means to be "southern" that are uplifting and important and contribute in a hefty way to what it means to be american overall while simultaneously recognizing that this does not excuse something like slavery. That particular subject is just a given, my extolling the virtues of the south, or the predation upon it by the north, should in no way be taken as a justification for such a thing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why only religious beliefs protected? FrustratedFool 49 2969 September 27, 2023 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  Which nonpolitician could be president? Fake Messiah 8 889 January 16, 2023 at 11:29 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Texas Law could circumvent Roe V. Wade Cecelia 55 4387 September 29, 2021 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Just when I thought that Donald Trump could not get any dumber... Jehanne 16 2175 November 27, 2018 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: YahwehIsTheWay
  So He Could Tolerate Everything Else But This? Minimalist 4 696 August 13, 2018 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The Thin-Skinned Orange Shitgibbon Can Only Handle Fox. Minimalist 0 360 July 25, 2018 at 1:58 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  This would only be fair GODZILLA 3 1003 July 16, 2018 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Cecelia
  The WLB Wishes He Could Get Away With This Minimalist 1 500 May 30, 2018 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Now Who Knew Economics Could Be So "Complicated?" Minimalist 2 820 April 9, 2018 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: brewer
  I'm Sure His Buddy Putin Could Put Something Together For Him Minimalist 1 642 January 17, 2018 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Chad32