Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Consciousness
Consciousness
It has been driving me crazy. Why am I not a gorilla in the amazon or an old lady's poodle? I don't have anything else to add really...

There are infinite ways of proving that God as most major religions define it does not exist, but the fact that I am human makes me much cooler than all the other members of the animal kingdom. Why do I have that advantage?
RE: Consciousness
Sometimes I feel sorry for my cat that he wasn't born a human. But because humanity can be so messed up, maybe he feels the same way about me.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
I don't feel sorry for other animals. Except the ones that suck like starfish or blobfish. If I was to choose, I'd be a whale. The question stands.
(January 11, 2013 at 2:37 am)Youssef Wrote: It has been driving me crazy. Why am I not a gorilla in the amazon or an old lady's poodle? I don't have anything else to add really...

There are infinite ways of proving that God as most major religions define it does not exist, but the fact that I am human makes me much cooler than all the other members of the animal kingdom. Why do I have that advantage?

How do you know you're not and just dreaming a human life?
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
ive always thought a bonobo has it pretty good, all they do is fuck and eat all day. compared to a common chimp which are aggressive and kill their own like we do, bonobos settle tension with sex rather than fighting.
i doubt they have the higher intelligence to worry and think deeply about death and the afterlife.
Obviously im glad im a human though and ive often thought why was i not born as a bacteria cell, or paris hiltons dog or how could i be so lucky to have even be born at all with all the other sperm to contend with, and how could i be so lucky after that to be born into a relatively middle class white english family rather than an african dying of starvation or living in poverty.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

I've also always wondered why I was born at all and in this era. Is there a waiting list? Can "souls" ever miss out on being born into a body?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
It's thinking about things like this that makes me wonder if I'm the star of my own Truman Show. HOW MUCH ARE THEY PAYING YOU ACTORS!?
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(January 11, 2013 at 5:43 am)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: It's thinking about things like this that makes me wonder if I'm the star of my own Truman Show. HOW MUCH ARE THEY PAYING YOU ACTORS!?
It is you who is the actor, Picard face.
Why did I not win the lottery?! Why me?!?!?!?!?!?
(January 11, 2013 at 2:37 am)Youssef Wrote: Why am I not a gorilla in the amazon or an old lady's poodle?

It's like flowers and bees, son. Because when a mommy and a daddy love each other very much, they decide to.. Big Grin

When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good read on consciousness Apollo 41 2559 January 12, 2021 at 4:04 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How could we trust our consciousness ?! zainab 45 4586 December 30, 2018 at 9:08 am
Last Post: polymath257
  Consciousness Trilemma Neo-Scholastic 208 55732 June 7, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis Won2blv 83 13879 February 21, 2017 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  My thoughts on the Hard problem of consciousness Won2blv 36 5483 February 15, 2017 at 7:27 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  A hypothesis about consciousness Won2blv 12 3928 February 12, 2017 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Won2blv
  Foundation of all Axioms the Axioms of Consciousness fdesilva 98 13915 September 24, 2016 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: Bunburryist
  Consciousness is simply an illusion emergent of a Boltzmann brain configuration.... maestroanth 36 5413 April 10, 2016 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  On naturalism and consciousness FallentoReason 291 44102 September 15, 2014 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: dissily mordentroge
  Does it make sense to speak of "Universal Consciousness" or "Universal Intelligence"? Mudhammam 253 41780 June 8, 2014 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam